• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:39:37 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Alvora Tactics - FFT-like TRPG on Greenlight

Started by Eldiran, April 10, 2017, 04:07:48 pm

Eldiran

April 10, 2017, 04:07:48 pm Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 03:05:30 pm by Eldiran
Heya! A long time ago I posted here about my last game, Voidspire Tactics. Now I'm working on the psuedo-sequel Alvora Tactics!

(It's a psuedo-sequel because it has the same combat, class mechanics, and general setting, but is not connected in terms of plot.)

Here's the trailer:

Some differences from Voidspire:

• Maximum party size of 6

• More emphasis on combat and character progression than exploration

• Mission-based exploration through procedural areas (with handmade side areas)

• New enemies, classes, races, abilities, and items

• New weapon & armor augmenting system

• Town hub where you unlock party-wide upgrades, forge equipment, shop, etc. between missions

Last time I needed testers, but this time I'm already into the Greenlight phase. If any of you are interested, please check out the Greenlight page!

Feedback is welcome and appreciated, both on the game and the Greenlight. Even having some exposure from Voidspire, it's still a struggle to get eyes on the Greenlight page.

Xifanie

Last game, the main reason I was uninterested in your project was the lack of controller support, especially by forcing to use a mouse. Even if it was playable with only a keyboard, I could always use JoyToKey, even if that's a tad annoying.

How is controller support in this game?
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Eldiran

I remember that question being raised a lot last time. Unfortunately, this game uses the same base engine & mechanics (which includes mouse-driven functions like picking up items from anywhere on the screen), so I wasn't able to implement controller support.

I am planning controller support for my next game, but it didn't make the cut this time. Sorry. : (

In terms of JoyToKey, that could get you through about 50% of the experience. You will still have to use mouse (or map mouse to a joystick) in order to interact with certain menus or reach certain items in the gameworld.

KingUrameshi

Okay so I played and own Voidspire Tactics after some hesitation and I can't be more happy that I bought it. Voidspire tactics had something unique about it that made me not put it down since the moment I picked it up. The exploration aspect of the game was what really kept my interest (things like placing planks across a broken bridge in order to get across). The story was good and I am a bit disappointed that you are not currently expanding on the lore of that game. Something I would like to see was to import your data from the first game into a new game where maybe the party landed in the shredded lands and took off from there. With maybe a third game taking place with the same party during a war between the Searital Alliance and Jasce Empire.

The emphasize on combat over exploration does disappoint me as I feel that is the strongest aspect of Voidspire Tactics but the gameplay on the first was excellent. What I want to see from your new game is more interaction in the environment and a greater variety in crafting. The class system in Voidspire Tactics was well done and I would like to see more of a variety of jobs and abilities in this new game. Some new sprites would be appreciated also as it would segregate itself from Voidspire Tactics.

With or without a controller, Voidspire Tactics is definitely worth picking up and the keyboard controls are labeled and OBVIOUS and lend themselves to the gameplay and are easy to use. Definitely worth the money despite my initial hesitation.

And I must say that the music in Voidspire Tactics was EXCELLENT and I wish someone (looking at you dev) would upload the main hub area's music to YouTube so I can download it to my phone (HD of course :)).
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You have allies... Friends that would risk their lives, and I am one of them.

Eldiran

Thanks Urameshi! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I was worried about limiting my market by doing a direct sequel to Voidspire, which has a pretty small playerbase. So Alvora Tactics is only tangentially related (it takes place in the realm of Limroft, which is where Northmount, Mt. Jurrin, and a few other locations were stolen from). I do definitely have future plans to revisit Seartial and Jasce though. ; )

To be frank, with Alvora I learned the hard way how limiting procedural generation can be - that's why exploration is diminished. The game was planned to take 6 months and it's taken nearly triple that long! However I think you will enjoy the new classes and abilities (I did some slight revamping of old classes as well).

I also expanded the crafting system to include augmenting: you can now place trigger stones and other material inside your weapons and armor to grant them special bonuses or attack effects.

A majority of the music was done by the excellent Kevin Phetsomphou, and he actually has that particular track uploaded here. : )

KingUrameshi

Thank you for the download link. Now I can listen to it in the car :cool:. Definitely going to check out more of what Kevin does. Looking forward to the new game.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You have allies... Friends that would risk their lives, and I am one of them.

Eldiran

Alvora Tactics is now released!

http://www.alvoratactics.com/

It's available DRM-free for $9.99 ($8.99 this week from 10% off launch sale).

Greenlight was slowing down significantly, so I went ahead regardless. Buyers will receive a Steam key once it finally gets greenlit.

Eldiran

An update: Alvora Tactics is now out on Steam and the latest patch has added controller support!

It was difficult to implement, but now you should be able to play through the entire game with a controller. I want to keep refining the controls as I go, so any feedback or bug reports are welcome. : )