• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:36:39 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Switching Generic Jobs color pallettes

Started by Will, September 26, 2015, 03:58:28 pm

Will

Hey guys. So I was wondering, is there a way to switch the colors generic jobs use on their first palette with another shown in Shishi Sprite editor on the PSP? I already know how to replace sprites, I just want to change the white mage female pallete so that the party units use the white and blue striped cloaks rather than the white and red. I have access to Lion Editor, FFTextPatcher, FFTEVGRP, Graphicsgale, CDMage, and both the old, and New Shishi. I must also ask, when I tried to extract the Unit, and Wild Bin files on CDMage, I got the following message, and I can't seem to do it, so I have to use an annoying process to replace the PSP Job wheel, and portrait sprites. Anybody know why and how to fix it? I followed Celdia's tutorial in the link below, but get stuck when trying to extract the 2 bin files because of the error in CDMage.

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=6702.0

3lric

Are you using CDMage B5? Also, you can try CDProg, I prefer it since it's faster.

To do what you need you can swap the palettes around to be the first palette. Celdia's tutorial explains how to work with palettes and it's how I learned to do what you are asking. You would indeed need to edit the formation sprites with EVGRP to have their color in formation change.
  • Modding version: PSX

Will

Ok. I will try CDprog, but how do I switch the palettes around? There doesn't seem to be an option to do so in Sishi.

Jumza

You need to export the bmp file and edit yourself. You can use anything that has a palette editor (like GIMP), but there is also an awesome tool that Xifanie made that will allow you to do it much faster somewhere on the site...

http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/Tools

Search for Palette Editor on this page!
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Amici

September 26, 2015, 11:57:38 pm #4 Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 12:03:05 am by Amici
You have graphics gale. All you have to do is drag the colors around in the Palette window. You'll see a 16x16 grid for the palette once you open on GG. Topmost row is the default palette for sprite, 9th row from the top is the default palette for the portrait.

Say the palette you want is on the 3rd row. Drag the 1st color on the 1st row and switch it with the 1st color on the 3rd row. Do the same for the 2nd to 16th colors. Also switch up the colors of the 9th row (which corresponds to the 1st row), and the 11th row (which corresponds to the 3rd row) to switch the palettes of the portraits too.

This is how I easily switch up palettes, and also easily test and create palettes of my own (I think generic jobs have 4 or 5 palettes only by default, so you have 3 minimum blank color palettes to work with. Remember that rows 1-8 are for the sprite itself, and rows 9-16 are for the portrait.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

3lric

September 27, 2015, 02:11:35 am #5 Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 02:45:05 am by Elric
Quote from: Will on September 26, 2015, 06:56:34 pm
Ok. I will try CDprog, but how do I switch the palettes around? There doesn't seem to be an option to do so in Sishi.

I told you how to do both of these things in my first response.

Will

Thanks for the responses guys! Jumza, I actually found the pallete editor a few days back and rendered it useless, but that was before I figured out how to replace sprites, I got it for the wrong purpose before, but then downloaded it again, and got it working. Amici, when I open the pallete in graphics gale, for some reason, after saving the edit, I am no longer able to import it into my iso. Shishi doesn't read the results. Like the new image won't be in the proper format anymore, and it will not let me see the other colors except the first one while editing so it doesn't seem to help much. Palette editor seems to do the job. Elric, as far as the formation screen goes, I use paint to crop the job wheel sprite from the palette sheet, and the portrait from a screenshot, and another program to convert them to the proper format, but my job wheel sprite's always get screwed colors.

Jumza

For the Graphics Gale thing, I'd bet that you aren't saving it as a 256 colour BMP anymore, which is the format of the sprites (other than .spr). You're probably saving it as a jpg or png.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

3lric

Quote from: Will on September 28, 2015, 11:43:43 am
but my job wheel sprite's always get screwed colors.

That means you ARENT followin Celdia's tutorial... You need to use GraphicsGale, not MSPaint. All you are doing in MSPaint is destroying everything lol.

Quote from: Jumza on September 28, 2015, 02:19:17 pm
For the Graphics Gale thing, I'd bet that you aren't saving it as a 256 colour BMP anymore, which is the format of the sprites (other than .spr). You're probably saving it as a jpg or png.

You can save sprites just fine and go back and forth between PNG and BMP. PNG isnt a problem, only JPG

Jumza

Quote from: Elric on September 28, 2015, 06:34:29 pm
You can save sprites just fine and go back and forth between PNG and BMP. PNG isnt a problem, only JPG

I had no idea! I thought png made the sprite unusable, but that's pretty cool that it doesn't :P

Still gotta watch out for those people posting sprites in .jpg though.

Angel

PNG is unusable without being converted back to BMP, but it preserves detail so that it can be converted back because it's lossless compression. JPEG can't be converted back to BMP because it's (very) lossy compression.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Will

Thanks for all your help guys! I found a way around all my issues. I was getting my portraits by screenshotting them from Shishi, and noticed that those images were saved as PNG formats, and did not change color when I would edit them in paint, so I started to do that with the jobwheel sprites as well, and now when I go into paint and crop them, the colors don't get screwed up! Then I use another program called Able Batch Converter to convert all the images to 16 color BMP's and the end result is just as it should be!!!! Btw, is it against the rules to post a link to a youtube video if it is related to the game? Like if I made a video of a battle just for fun, would that be against the site's rules for spamming or something? I think I am gonna make one using some of the custom sprites I found here, and with some of the color edits I did for the generic jobs :D

Jumza

Post away, just make sure to put it in the right section (wherever that may be).

Will

I made the video of the battle using the replaced sprites if you guys want to see it. I'm not sure where to post the video, so I put it on youtube in the following link. Read the video description on there for the full run-dwon. Thanks again for all your help guys. I made a similar post in the events section because I think that's where you're supposed to post it, so if it goes against the rules for double-posting or something, feel free to take it down if you are an admin. Just let me know where I am supposed to post such things on here, and where it's ok to post a video on this site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OTB6lkn5UU