• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 04:55:22 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

WHY?!

Started by TristanBeoulve, December 09, 2014, 02:26:36 pm

TristanBeoulve

Why is it that all of you seem to hate WOTL so much?! If anyone could please elaborate, I would appreciate it.
"There is blood on my hands, how long till it lies on my heart?"

Dome

Confound thee TristanBeoulve, this Toke Jopic belongs to the canned ham section

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Elric

December 09, 2014, 03:35:23 pm #2 Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 03:48:15 pm by Elric
- Slowdown that could've easily been avoided by a competent coder. The slowdown glitch fix is like 1 byte of code that was changed.

- Luso, why does he get Ramza's skillset? (Protip: it's because they didn't have enough ability space to make him a proper job...) You spend all game with Ramza and his story and building him up, then some fucking douche comes in and is like, oh yeah, i know all of that, AND I have innate poach.

- Fuck ugly derpy ass flower dialogue

- HORRIBLE event coding

- I don't hate Balthier

- Cashing in on something old by having subpar people work on and ruin something that was great to begin with

- Luso

- TERRIBAD Sprite quality on Luso, Aliste, Bremondt, Balthier, Dark Knight, Onion Knight.

Quote from: FrozenDragon150 on December 08, 2014, 11:38:42 am
Dialogue comparison between PSX FFT and WotL

Dialogue in WotL
Silence! I shall not listen to you anymore, learn to govern your tounge or i shall have it sliced off! If you would test my patience you will know the true meaning of suffering. Now, prepare yourself to be sent towards the keeping of the Father!

Dialogue in the PSX version
Shut up, idiot!

Quote from: kyozo22 on December 08, 2014, 11:00:56 am
Balthier(Barrage FTW!)

Quote from: Jumza on December 08, 2014, 06:15:01 pm
On this note, my most absolute favourite thing to do in WotL is to give Balthier an elemental gun and have him use Barrage! You would never get the chance to look at those animations in such beautiful slow motion 4 times in a row in the psx version...

A better fucking question would be why you like WOTL so much??
  • Modding version: PSX

Tornado Jack

We hate WotL because we're OLD SENILE PEOPLE.

Really, we have to be insane to hate WotL... right?

lirmont

Here's a hypothetical situation. Imagine that the original game is represented in a ball form. Now, the ball can bounce around, roll, be still, entertain, etc, but, no matter what you do, the ball stays together because the ball is cohesive. Now, as time goes on, the ball may be seen to be less fun to play with because it lacks things other newer forms of entertainment possess. Reasonably speaking, releasing the next version of this ball should probably just bring the ball up to date so that it can compete for attention well against other entertainment products: new packaging, refurbishing old parts so that they thrive in modern environments, and re-advertising the product (harkening back to what made it great at what it did previously).

Enter War of the Lions. Instead of (just) bringing the old game up to date, they made something akin to a lava lamp, tossing an old game in to drift aimlessly around for the rest of forever amidst the newer, brightly-colored lava lamp goop and to bang into the smaller representations of other games also dumped into said goop. Can lava lamps be entertaining? Sure, but are they a cohesive mixture anymore? No, and so my personal dislike comes from the fact that I don't see FFT:WotL as a cohesive game. I see it as "game-ish"; there's a cohesive game somewhere in there (sometimes it even rises to the forefront) but it's lost amongst other things.

If you were to order a smoothie and that "smoothie" was just unblended fruit in an attractive cup, would you like the product as a smoothie?

Choto

Because all amazing games that garner loyal, fiercely enthusiastic fanbases unfailingly have terrible people take the atmosphere of that game and put it on a PSP or change critical aspects of it which leaves said fanbases with a feeling of being betrayed and disappointed by having hopes of a sequel.

It's like being given a piece of artwork.. .and all you have to do is put shit AROUND the artwork to enhance the core features of it that make it amazing... and you just paint a smiley face in the center of the thing thinking to yourself "Ima make millions..."

TristanBeoulve

Quote from: Elric on December 09, 2014, 03:35:23 pm
Dialogue comparison between PSX FFT and WotL

Dialogue in WotL
Silence! I shall not listen to you anymore, learn to govern your tounge or i shall have it sliced off! If you would test my patience you will know the true meaning of suffering. Now, prepare yourself to be sent towards the keeping of the Father!

Dialogue in the PSX version
Shut up, idiot!

Do you view that as positive, or negative?
If positive:  :)
If negative: It's more realistic man. I doubt anyone said that (the bottom part) in the Middle Ages or the Renaissance. I find it to be more enjoyable when I can immerse myself.

Elric

So, after you realized that WotL sucks after reading everything here. You looked to find the one thing that didn't fit as well as everything else to try to prove your point, lol.

No, I posted that because this is Spam and I thought it was funny as shit.

You still didn't answer my question.

Angel

December 10, 2014, 07:01:39 am #8 Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 07:08:37 am by Toshiko
WotL script is sophomoric. It's obfuscated gibberish. Nobody ever spoke this way at any period in the history of the world, nor is the original Japanese text archaic or indicating that the dialogue should be translated in this way. It's just trash. And don't get me started on the proper nouns.

That and for all the reasons listed by others, WotL is nothing more than the shittiest port since Mega Man 3 to PC.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Boco

The script is bad, but WOTL does do a few -- A FEW -- things right with the translation. Here are the things they did right:

1. Bad Bracelet --> Bad Breath
2. Dragoner --> Dragonkin
3. Wildbow --> Wild Boar
4. Mindflare --> Mindflayer
5. Maintenance --> Safeguard
6. Salty Rage --> Sortilege
7. Walk on water --> Swim, and Move in water --> Waterwalking (I hated how these were originally mixed up)

...and a few other ability names, skillset names, enemy names, to where it just makes more sense, but there are relatively few of these good changes in an ocean of bad. But seriously, what the hell kind of perfume is called Salty Rage?? (unless it's meant to stink people away)

TristanBeoulve

Fine. I didn't play the original, I just rather liked WoTL. Maybe it's not as good. Maybe it sucks. Maybe I'm a polymorphing goat. I clearly don't know enough about this to be arguing on the topic. Sorry for bothering you all.

kyozo22

December 10, 2014, 02:44:01 pm #11 Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 03:58:41 pm by kyozo22
There were some good things about the retranslation.

Well, ok, about one (and even then, that's subjective):

I LOVE FF4! :D

Weirdly enough, we had a similar discussion back in October on another forum but, generally, I think that vanilla WotL was a huge, huge letdown. Now that the slowdown's fixed and netplay's possible via PPSSPP and Hamachi, I think the only things that're stopping WotL being modded more is lack of easy ASMing and the script (which isn't really difficult to sort out, just takes time/ commitment... and a fairly rough consensus on what's good/ improved etc.)

Overall, though, fuck Square-Enix for their laziness/ sloppiness/ incompetence!
  • Modding version: WotL

Advent

December 10, 2014, 03:52:52 pm #12 Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 04:36:18 pm by Advent
Quote from: TristanBeoulve on December 09, 2014, 05:39:29 pm
It's more realistic man. I doubt anyone said that (the bottom part) in the Middle Ages or the Renaissance. I find it to be more enjoyable when I can immerse myself.

I actually asked a friend of mine who has a background in this sort of thing this question a while back.

I played through WOTL once on my PSP. While the new content was well-done (I especially enjoyed the extra Delita scenes) and the translation made the story much more comprehensible (though at least for reasons of nostalgia I still much prefer Dycedarg's elder brother), the pseudo-Shakespearean garble bothered me to no end. And not because it was too Ye Olde English, but because it wasn't Þe Olde English enough. I have an MA in Medieval Studies and, having spent some time reading real Middle English texts, I can attest that English never at any time worked the way it does in WOTL. The dialect is a disgusting hybrid monstrosity. It could have been done much more accurately without sacrificing readability.

So, there you have it. The bastardized English is an aberration.

Xifanie

> TristanBeoulve after reading Advent's post:
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Advent

Quote from: Xifanie on December 10, 2014, 04:18:20 pm
> TristanBeoulve after reading Advent's post:

Holy shit I just died. LOL.

Elric

Hahaha

Xif the thread killer.

kyozo22

Quote from: Advent on December 10, 2014, 04:29:40 pm
Holy shit I just died. LOL.

Was it more or less drawn out than the good old Dark Knight's?

Totally using "Alright, we'll call it a draw." for Gaffy though. LOL

Advent

Quote from: kyozo22 on December 10, 2014, 04:32:31 pm
Was it more or less drawn out than the good old Dark Knight's?

I meant.. of laughter.. not.. that I was the...

Nevermind. :(

kyozo22

Dude, it's me. You know I understood you.  :lol:

I mean, you've never heard of "lmao"'s proper definition?

Laughing
My
Arms
Off

:cool:

Advent

Quote from: kyozo22 on December 10, 2014, 04:39:39 pm
Dude, it's me. You know I understood you.  :lol:

I know you did, but I can't help thinking of how it looked to everyone else:(