• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 01:20:49 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

First games you ever played?

Started by Vaan, August 31, 2014, 04:29:03 pm

Vaan

I'd like to know the first game you ever played (or first one that you remember), the first rpg you ever played, what year was it, what console and your experiences with that game, if you liked it, if you enjoy it even if its bad for the nostalgia etc...

For me it was:
Crash Bash: in 2004, PS1, it was so fun, even more when competing with my cousin, for me it was so good that nothing would ever be as good. And because of so much nostalgia, nothing is as good to me.
As for the RPG
Final Fantasy IX in 2005, PS1, my first contact with Final Fantasies, i couldnt read english well, but i really felt like i was there y'know? Because of it i started playing the most awesome series in existence and all thanks to my father.
"    One of these days I'll fly an airship of my own. I'll be a sky pirate, free to go where I will.    ,,
   ~ Vaan

Angel

I actually don't really remember what the first game I played was, but I know it was on Atari 2600. So instead, I'll go with the first game that I remember:

Super Mario Bros.
It was 1987 (yes, I am old) and I was visiting my cousins, who had just gotten an NES. We spent several days just playing it.

And RPG:
Phantasy Star
To date, the only SMS game I own. I liked it better than Final Fantasy, which came a year or so later.
  • Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Celdia

My first games were probably Pac Man and Centipede arcade cabinets. I remember they had those at the bowling alley my older brother was on a league at and we went like every weekend through Fall and Winter and I always wanted to play them.

I believe my first games at home were 'Gorf' on the VIC-20 and 'Moon Patrol' and 'African Adventure - In Search of Dr. Livingstone' on C64, though admittedly I didn't get too far in the lattermost title what with the having only recently learned to read thing. It still terrified me for what I did understand of it. A couple other early C64 titles I spent a lot of time with were 'Dino Eggs', 'Wizard of Wor' and 'Forbidden Forest'. Those were like circa 1984-1985. NES came later. First game for that was of course Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt. My box system had the grey Zapper light gun but I'm not sure which year we got it in.

First RPG was Dragon Warrior 1. Final Fantasy didn't come until a bit later, but it just felt like it did everything DW did but better as far as I was concerned. Still one of my favorite games to this day and I go back and play some version of it a few times a year.
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Vaan

I feel like a baby in those forums, every one is from the 80's
"    One of these days I'll fly an airship of my own. I'll be a sky pirate, free to go where I will.    ,,
   ~ Vaan

Dome

Sonic the Hedgehog on the Sega Genesis

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Kaijyuu

Pretty sure the first game I was exposed to in some fashion was an NES one, perhaps FF1 or Mario Bros. First game I ever played to a substantial degree would be one of the SNES ones, either Super Mario World or Final Fantasy 6.

Aiolon

Final Fantasy VII i was probably 5 years old so i couldn't understand the game but my dad used to play it a lot so i tried it.

Castlevania: Symphony of the night i loved that game i grew up in a family of RPG players.

Final Fantasy Tactics was my second final fantasy game but that was 2 years later and loved it (even if it was to hard for a kid)  knew the numbers so it wasn't to hard but the mechanics were a bit complicated for a kid specially the shop i emded buying 99 potions and no armor upgrades wahaha, those days i could'nt get pass dorter so my brother had to help me.  :cool:
guess that's why i find plataform games to boring and easy, games are not fun if they are not a challenge.

yeah im from the PSX generation not so old.
Wizzard: I have returned once again.
Chocobo: Wark?
Wizzard: yes.

skiploom188

August 31, 2014, 11:12:04 pm #7 Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 02:33:34 am by skiploom188
Wow, and I thought the "Games currently NOT playing" was going to be the last question that can be ever thought of. I stand corrected.

I'm a 90's kid, so...

My very first exposure to gaming was NES. I think my first game EVER was Super Mario, but since I was just little (3-4 yrs old) those moments just whooshed with no impact to me whatsoever.

The other NES games after that (because I got a little older now) finally brought impact to my gaming, games like:

B-Wings - That shooter game where differently designed wings are your weapons. I couldn't get out of Stage 4 back then. Man, this game really stuck in my head ever since I first touched this game.

Highway Star - Just drive (FAST!) from point A to point B under the given time, time extend checkpoints provided. Easy right? Well, not when you're just a kid! Got stuck on stage 3. Oh so this is my first driving game ever.

Ah, the PS1, more memorable bits here for me. Games like:

Need For Speed 3: Hot Pursuit - the first PSX disc I ever got. Tons of fun, especially with the police everywhere, and Spike Strips!

aaand...

Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere - Note that there are 2 versions of this game, English and Japanese. I got the Japanese one, and that was the best decision ever made. If you want to know why, Research on it comparing the two versions, and you'll see why. Back then I was freaked out by this game's music, and its mechanics. I remember saying Habo ko kawatan 'yan! (I dont wanna play that!) back then lol.

I can't fly! But years later I started playing it by myself then eventually HOLY SHIT! I'm an Ace Pilot now! I was doing Immelman turns,  Split-S and doing Launch-and-Leave tactics but back then I didn't know those terms lol. I was applying them before I even knew about them. I was 10 years old that time, and I was dancing in the air!
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
======================================================================
I evolved... into a stick figure. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj-yTyoVpYIdcdIPw8SP5rw
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pokemon Fantasy Tactics - A treat for FFT fans! http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=10984.msg207542
======================================================================

Jumza

Crash Bash:
Oh geez, I have great memories from being small and playing this game, and it's racing counterpart; Crash Team Racing (still my favourite racing game). I recently went back to these games and completed them in full and I enjoyed every moment. Loved how both had really fun Co Op and competitive play, even if the ps1 only had 2 slots for controllers.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Vaan

Quote from: Jumza on September 01, 2014, 11:53:17 am
Crash Bash:
Loved how both had really fun Co Op and competitive play, even if the ps1 only had 2 slots for controllers.

I had a thingy majigger which allowed 4 players to well, play. Also what was your first rpg?
   ~ Vaan

Elric

Combat - Atari 2600 (awesome fun little tank game that I still play to this day XD)

Wizards & Warriors - NES
(Might have been the third one, i can't remember, but I remember renting and enjoying this every other weekend or so when I was a kid, ya know, back when blockbuster still rented out NES systems in a big black plastic case.)

Sonic the Hedgehog - Genesis
(This came with the Genesis my father bought when I was younger, was pretty awesome, but have always preferred Mario Bros)

Donkey Kong - SNES
(This came with my SNES that I got as a kid. I liked it a lot better than Sonic, but still not as much as Mario Bros.)

I didn't read the OP yet, so I'm just doing what the topic says i guess lol.

RPG wise woulda been Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star III (fuck that game)

Jumza

Quote from: Vaan on September 01, 2014, 12:12:05 pm
I had a thingy majigger which allowed 4 players to well, play. Also what was your first rpg?

Ah you were lucky then :P I had no idea those existed until much later on in life.

My first RPG would be Final Fantasy Tactics I guess. I received it as a gift when I was younger, despite the game being rated T, and it's pretty obvious that I still love it today :)
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

TristanBeoulve

Uhhh...........
I believe my first game was Legend of Dragoon, on the PSX. My grandfather introduced me to video games, as well as RPGs. Also, Super Mario Bros. 2 on the Gameboy Advance and Dungeon Siege 2 (I love that game). My dad and I played hockey on his ps2 when I was little, but... hockey... ugh.
Quote from: Vaan on August 31, 2014, 06:17:42 pm
I feel like a baby in those forums, every one is from the 80's

Funny, I just thought that same thing.
"There is blood on my hands, how long till it lies on my heart?"

Angel

Quote from: Elric on September 01, 2014, 12:40:31 pmSonic the Hedgehog - Genesis
(This came with the Genesis my father bought when I was younger, was pretty awesome, but have always preferred Mario Bros)
The first time I saw a commercial for Sonic 1, I was instantly obsessed. That obsession wouldn't end until but a few years ago, when Sega had officially ran it into the ground in the most horrific way possible.

QuoteDonkey Kong - SNES
(This came with my SNES that I got as a kid. I liked it a lot better than Sonic, but still not as much as Mario Bros.)
You mean Donkey Kong Country, right? :o

QuoteRPG wise woulda been Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star III (fuck that game)
I still don't hate PSIII like everyone else does (I'd rate PSO as lower, series-wise), but I totally understand it. It's just nowhere near as good as the other 3. I might dislike it more if I actually went back to play it again, but I can't muster up the desire to do so. :v

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame

Dokurider

First game I remember playing ever
Duck Hunt

First Game I ever owned
Super Mario World/Donkey Kong Country

First game I beat
Sonic 3 and Knuckles (Knuckles only because OF THAT DAMN BARREL. AND NO, I DIDN'T HAVE THE FUCKING MANUAL OR INTERNET BACK THEN. Fortunately, the copy I had was used and already had a beaten Sonic save on it.)

First RPG I ever played
Final Fantasy 8

First RPG I ever owned (and 100%'d)
Wild Arms

Rufio

I didn't get a console until SNES came out, so I only played games my friends had until then.  First games I remember playing were Duck Hunt, Punch Out, and Mario 3.

Once I got a SNES, the first game I remember playing a lot of was Contra 3.  I saw Final Fantasy III in my cousins games but he wouldn't ever let me play or borrow it (douche).  The first RPG I played was Super Mario RPG (I know right?  Late to the game or what).  The first RPG I loved was Chrono Trigger.

Oh yeah! The first game I played using the amazing Nintendo Power-Glove was Ridge Racer.  I love the power glove.... it's so bad.

TableTop Adventures Demo is out.
Try it out and let me know how to make it better.

Vaan

Much of the games mentioned here i only played until much later where i learned about emulators, liek when i was 10 (5 years ago)
   ~ Vaan

Angel

Quote from: Rufio on September 02, 2014, 10:19:43 amOh yeah! The first game I played using the amazing Nintendo Power-Glove was Ridge Racer.  I love the power glove.... it's so bad.
You mean Rad Racer, right? Though Ridge Racer on NES would be a laugh to see... someone make that happen.

Rufio

Correct you are.  Forgive me as it has been a while.

It's not Ridge Racer!  NOT RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACER!

TableTop Adventures Demo is out.
Try it out and let me know how to make it better.

Artemicion

As far as I can remember, the first ever console games for me was Frogger, Ridge Racer(oh yeah :|), and Crash Bandicoot for the PS1. My first RPG game was FF9, which is right up there with my all time favorite games.
From Mogrika to Moolan

Artemicion rubbed it all over himself!
            The machine needs it to function
            properly, kupo!

I know how he must've felt.
            I used it on myself once, too.
            It's a wonderful thing, but...