• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Mem gen issues

Started by Elmdork, April 06, 2015, 07:11:21 am

Elmdork

April 06, 2015, 07:11:21 am Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 07:33:45 am by Rouroni Elmdor
You guys must be sick of answering these by now, but we are getting an influx of new members, so maybe they can benefit from this too. (I shamelessly advertise on YouTube, you have been fairly warned)

I'm having 2 issues:

1. The buttons on the top bar (save,delete,import etc.) Aren't functioning for me. Got macros enabled and everything else seems fine. I have heard of others having this issue, but couldn't find any answers.

2. I don't really understand what xifany means by "appropriate columns" in the "save/import" section of the tutorial. I got to the hidden Iso data section, got the (definitely wrong) wall of numbers and even got flex hex, however I'm both a dinosaur and mildly retarded so i can't seem to fit these pieces together. It could be from the save function not working properly, but I still don't really know how to hex stuff. At least not properly. (Or I'm doing the totally wrong thing and lack the education to know better) I get there's a code that goes into the teams menu, but everyone's starts with 8#ff, mine starts with 30###. Dunno if that has any relevance (#=1-10)

I'm a bit ashamed to admit I never really got ffta to function on my computer, mostly due to mem gen issues that I never resolved and then forgot and then left along with the forums for like a year. The game itself appears to function properly, though I will never know if I can't generate a memory card. Any insight into the issue would be greatly appreciated.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
The bird of Hermes is my name
Eating my wings to make me tame
  • Discord username: rouroni elmdor

Barren

is the mem card being saved as a .gme file? If not then that's why you can't load the mem card on your emulator
You dare cross blades with me?

Elmdork

April 06, 2015, 08:06:06 am #2 Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 08:57:11 am by Rouroni Elmdor
Yeah, I do "save" them as .gme, which is more a lucky guess than an educated one. The buttons themselves don't function. I click "save, delete, clear" and nothing happens. No file is created for me to even plug into my emulator. Can't even get preset teams on a card, let alone my own.

However, I can manipulate the boxes to input items/abilities/etc.

Edit: do I need FDC's checksum hack? How do I use that? Thanks for helping out barren, promise I'm doing whatever I can to resolve myself/communicate issues to you guys.

Edit2: OK..so the checksum patch is already present.. can someone tell me what xifany means by

"Copy the contents of the fftactext (seriously, that mess of script?) File extracted from the patch and paste it to the appropriate column (this is where she starts to lose me)
Using the hex editor copy in ASCII format the scus_942.21...." I'm guessing the next appropriate column is the team list section. Is this supposed to be obvious?

Barren

do you have fftastic? that ensures that the mem card you generate doesn't get corrupted. What happens is if you try to load a save file while its corrupted the emulator will crash. You open fftastic then you hit open and open the save file you generated. hit file again then hit save then you should be good to go
You dare cross blades with me?

Elmdork

Lol you're like 2 steps ahead of me, barren. Though useful, can't cross that bridge til I get there.

When you save a team or memory card, does the file manager pop up? Save/delete/clear and every other button on the top bar does not function for me. No file is generated, "clear" doesn't even clear the team in the spreadsheet. Where do I paste the .tactext bit? Do I even need to? Even if I figure out problem 2 of my original post, problem 1 will prevent me from ever creating a save file.

Kurosabes

I still use the "archaic" memgen with the old interface since I don't have Excel 2007+, maybe this could work better for you. I could never find it on the site though. The memgen I'm using requires to manually edit the units' raw stats in FFTastic, manually teach the units their abilities in-game, etc. since it's based on vanilla FFT.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Kurosabes#0312

Elmdork

Thanks WkW! I'm not throwing in the towel just yet, but it's nice to know I have options. At least I'll be able to run my own damn tests on not bug everybody for matches (yes, that is the only way I have ever seen my teams in action. Needless to say: mistakes were made.)

I appreciate every video you guys make with me, and now you know why. It's also why I archive my matches and "like" all the videos I see.

Dragonblade

Hi, I tried to save one of Heroebal's teams in the spread sheet. I came across this error which said "run-time error '1004': application-defined or object-defined error"

Is there a way to fix that??

Elmdork

Hmm... you using Microsoft excel? nothing else will do except fftastic which allows you to modify mem cards. There may be a free trial of excel floating around somewhere, hope it helps!

Gaignun

Do you have macros enabled?  I believe the Excel sheet uses macros, and those might be disabled depending on the software's past history.