• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:28:56 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

FFT Patcher (.497)

Started by formerdeathcorps, May 14, 2011, 03:57:55 am

Raijinili

As far as I know, continued development on FFTPatcher (if any) will be at the GitHub repo. Bug reports should probably go on the bug tracker there.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

3lric

September 13, 2018, 10:20:41 am #281 Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 10:20:23 am by Elric
I'm not git savy.

Anyway, there appears to be another issue. In the Bonus.bin, in shishi, in Number 2, for Elidibs, it has the "This Game is Complete!" instead of "This Battle is Complete!" I'm 99% certain that the former is supposed to be on the Altima one, not Elidibs.

Edit: Another issue. Map 120 doesn't show up in the list for the other images in shishi. In previous versions it was called "(Garbled name) -- Sloped Checkboard" which came after Checkboard Wall Waterland. In the newer shishi, Checkboard Wall Waterland is the last one displayed to edit. This is an issue since we use a ASM for TLW to copy another map onto this location so that we can have it show a different name due to how one of the battles in TLW was done.
  • Modding version: PSX

Glain

September 13, 2018, 02:21:23 pm #282 Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 12:40:15 am by Glain
Regarding BONUS.BIN: All the images in that file are found by Shishi using the same procedure; there's nothing different about image number 2.  Seems farfetched that part of the image would be right and another part wouldn't.

As for maps, it appears that the number is off by one in the XML file.  Try finding /Resources/PSXFiles.xml within the FFTP directory, and edit this line (line 2439):
<Repeat Number="119" Offset="2560"> and change the Number from 119 to 120.

EDIT: Apparently I'm full of it and that file is compiled directly into the Shishi EXE so you can't edit it! Here's an updated EXE.
EDIT: It's also stored as plain ASCII text in the EXE so you could hex edit it.

3lric

3lric

September 14, 2018, 08:51:45 am #284 Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 10:21:31 am by Elric
As for the bonus.bin thing, i found it weird as well, but during my last playthru, i noticed that it didnt say "this game is complete" as it should, and instead says "this battle is complete" am i mistaken that it should be at the end of the altima battle and not the DD?

I watched some LPs that show that is should show on the Altima battle, but on the old winningconditions.bmp file i had from Xif, it shows the same way it does in shishi, so I'm going to assume I derped something in the displayed conditions at the end of the altima battle and that this has nothing to do with shishi

3lric

Just did a lot of testing to confirm a weird thing, and after eliminating all variables i could think of, i even got to exporting a clean tactext file from a vanilla image file, and then repatching the same vanilla tactext back to the same vanilla image and the results are consistent every time. Something about tactext is either exporting or importing this bit from WORLD.LZW, incorrectly and causing us to lose some words in the end screen for propositions.

Squaresoft

Hello there.
How comes there is a version v0.492 and this "STICKY" only links to older versions?,

3lric

Quote from: Squaresoft on March 13, 2020, 09:37:24 amHello there.
How comes there is a version v0.492 and this "STICKY" only links to older versions?,

Because we have a tools section, and when I'm not made aware of a new release, or asked to update the link, it doesn't happen.

Glain is the one who currently works with FFTP and he is not the OP of this thread, so he is unable to update the OP...

Glain

April 08, 2020, 10:44:53 am #288 Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 10:30:18 pm by Glain
Here's my latest version of the FFTPatcher suite including a version of Shishi that can edit the extra palettes in WLDFACE.BIN. The new entries are just added at the end of the list. They're annoyingly arranged in the file, so if modifying one of these entries, both the original and new entries should be updated.

I also separated out the XML files that define what goes in the Other Images section so that they can be updated without needing to recompile the Shishi EXE.

There are also a few convenience changes to the ASM patcher added in here.

Shishi

* In the Other Images section, WLDFACE.BIN now has extra sections for units with extra palettes.  If changing one of these units, both the original and new entries should be changed.
    * The PSXFiles.xml and PSPFiles.xml files that define the entries in the Other Images section are now external files rather than being compiled into the program. This enables custom entries to be added into Shishi by adding them to the appropriate XML file(s)! Just an example...
        <Section Filename="E173.BIN" Filesize="48304">
            <PalettedImage8bpp>
                <Name>Night Sword</Name>
                <Width>128</Width>
                <Height>256</Height>
                <Sector>EFFECT_E173_BIN</Sector>
                <ColorDepth>_16bit</ColorDepth>
                <PalettePosition>
                    <Offset>14508</Offset>
                    <Length>512</Length>
                </PalettePosition>
                <Position>
                    <Offset>15536</Offset>
                    <Length>32768</Length>
                </Position>
            </PalettedImage8bpp>
        </Section>

FFTorgASM

* ASM checker no longer shows a warning if a stack pointer offset is not a multiple of 8 (but will if the offset is not a multiple of 4).
    * Multiple offsets can now be specified in one Location tag using comma separated values. 
        Example:
            <Location file="EFFECT_E137_BIN" offset="AAB,923,E7F,B6F,C33,9E7,CF7,DBB,85F,10CB,F43" mode="DATA">
            </Location>

Glain

I'm now ready to release the FFTPatcher .493 beta!  This contains a LOT of new features and fixes and is probably the biggest release I've done!

Special thanks to the following for their contributions which helped make this release possible (as well as others!):

Raijinili: Feature requests (including ENTD unit table changes and the concept for View Stats), convenience feature ideas, labeling fixes, team color research, etc.
Xifanie: Reference data, Gameshark conditionals, FFTText Editor concepts (including Altima font), Ideas around consolidating/repointing duplicate entries, etc.
Elric: Ideas for improving several of the tools, including FFTPatcher defaults, separating the two UNIT/WLDFACE entries, fixing Proposition text, changing around Shishi sections, and adding functionality to Shishi
RetroTypes: Consolidating patch XMLs, ideas for Shishi features (including Zoom and other images entry numbers), discussions about labeling
Raven: Ideas around consolidating Item Attributes and Inflict Status, General ideas, labeling discussions
Choto: Effect notes
FFMaster: Idea about supporting more pseudoinstructions with non-specified source operand for ALU commands
Jumza: Team color information
Emmy: Information about FFTPatcher labeling, especially in the Propositions section
cadence: Idea for showing information about Item Attributes and Inflict Status, and pointing out some ASM hacks

botik

In new beta FFTOrgASM selection menu does not appear for changes

Glain

Hmm.  It was counting variables wrong.  A simple fix, but that's a pretty fundamental thing that blocks testing, so it's going to require another beta version.  Here it is, attached (Beta v2).  This also includes ctrl + mouse wheel functionality for Shishi zoom and the problem with the cut-off Shishi text about duplicate sprites should also be fixed.

Glain

July 01, 2020, 03:55:47 pm #292 Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 09:45:11 am by Glain
Some fixes and features later, another beta...

FFTPatcher 0.493 Beta v3:

FFTorgASM:
    * Added and modified some patch XMLs (Dokurider.xml added).
    * Fixed issues with Free Space viewer and Conflict Checker.
    * "Complete!" message no longer appears when Canceling an action.
    * Now supports <Include> tags with a "patch" attribute to include another patch (by name).
    * Reload button now reloads the currently selected file.  Select All in the file list before pressing Reload to reload all the files.

This also includes the latest version of my XML file (including the unit bench hack).
EDIT - Updated attachment to include latest fix for bench hack.

Ansehelm

This looks awesome, especially the ability to set formation sprites in FFTPatcher, and the conflict checker and free space viewers.

I have a question about how to use the free space viewer and the "move" option for best results, since in my hack I have a conflict between Special Snowflakes and Pride's Item Attribute rewrite, which is causing bugs.  The conflict checker reveals that they overlap in SCUS, and the free space viewer in SCUS shows this: https://ibb.co/86RfGp4

And this may be a silly question, but I'm not sure how to interpret what is shown here in order to know how much to move the hack by.  Does "length" refer to the length of the overlap/conflict, or the length of the highlighted hack?  If it's the length of the whole hack, would I subtract [hack] "length" from "Space to the Next Patch" to know how much to add to the address?  I'm obviously not very knowledgeable about ASMs, but I'd appreciate any guidance you could provide.

Glain

Each entry in the free space viewer refers to one section of a patch. 
Length refers to the length (in bytes) of that section.

Address + Length = Next Address
Next Address + Space To Next Patch = Address of next entry in the list (or the end of the free space block, if there isn't one)

If the Space To Next Patch is negative, it will be colored red, and indicate a conflict with the next entry in the list.

In the screenshot, the free space viewer is only showing one entry, so no conflict is shown.

I took a look at Pride's Item Attribute rewrite patch (v1.1), and it doesn't appear to use free space at all... 

When you saw the conflict in the conflict checker, was the background color red or white?  If it was red, that conflict was not in free space and cannot be resolved with a move.

Ansehelm

Ok, that makes some sense.  I imagine the conflict is not in the free space then, since it looks like this: https://ibb.co/WVf53gm

I don't really get how free space works, much less why ASMS are written in anything that's not the free space (unless it's prohibitively small).  All that's kind of over my head right now, but it seems like the conflicting data could just be moved if there's space, even if it's done manually.  I'll probably reach out to Pride, and see if he can look into moving that section if it's possible, unless you're familiar with how that might be done.

3lric

Quote from: Ansehelm on July 12, 2020, 04:18:15 amOk, that makes some sense.  I imagine the conflict is not in the free space then, since it looks like this: https://ibb.co/WVf53gm

I don't really get how free space works, much less why ASMS are written in anything that's not the free space (unless it's prohibitively small).  All that's kind of over my head right now, but it seems like the conflicting data could just be moved if there's space, even if it's done manually.  I'll probably reach out to Pride, and see if he can look into moving that section if it's possible, unless you're familiar with how that might be done.

Because sometimes it makes more sense to edit the data directly. Depending on exactly what the asm is trying to accomplish

Glain

The conflict is not in data.  It arises because the two hacks are editing program code in the same routine: https://ffhacktics.com/wiki/Equipment_Attribute_Setting

Those hacks rewrite that routine in different ways, so they are not compatible.  There's no way to get around that by moving anything (indeed, there is nothing to move).

(Writing only to free space would be useless because the new code or data would never be referenced by the game.  Other changes are needed to change the behavior of the game.  Some hacks don't need or use free space at all.)

Ansehelm

Alright, that clears it up.  Bummer about the incompatibility, but at least the way forward is clear, as I can make do without SS.  Thanks for looking into that and explaining it. 

Glain

August 26, 2020, 10:47:13 am #299 Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 11:28:52 am by Glain
Beta v4 release:

FFTPatcher:
    * Fixed bug in ability editor where it could try to update the "inflict status" values for abilities without attributes
    * Fix for ampersands inside certain controls that use TextRenderer.DrawText() (Includes ENTD unit area)

FFTactext:
    * Made PSXText.xml and PSPText.xml external files that can be used to configure section entries, DTE, compression, etc.  These were previously the internal psx.xml and psp.xml files.
    * Text sections now have at least the number of entries specified in the appropriate XML file, even if text is loaded from a file without those entries listed.
    * Corrected number of entries for Diary of Nanai and Wyuvle.

FFTorgASM:
    * Moving ASM blocks also updates loads/stores and address references!

ASM Encoder/Decoder:
    * No longer flags load delay on writeback registers.