• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:00:32 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Question about sprite animations and FPS

Started by Justarius, October 10, 2018, 06:00:38 pm

Justarius

Hey everyone! Hoping someone here might be able to help me out.

As part of a project I'm working on, I've decided to use some FFT sprites just as placeholder art on a prototype. Using the vast wealth of resources here, I have complete sprite sheets and reference animations, however my end result just doesn't look right.

I've taken Ramza's sprite sheet and using Shishi Sprite Editor I've cycled through the animation and tried to re-create it in Aseprite frame by frame. As far as I can tell, there are 8 frames of animation in his walk according to Shishi. I've taken the animation and corresponding sprites frame by frame and re-assembled them, but I either have something out of sequence or I don't have enough frames, or maybe I'm playing it at the wrong framerate?

Does anyone here know exactly how many frames there should be in a character's "walk" animation? What about the framerate that the animation is played back at? I couldn't find any assembled animated GIFs of the game sprites out there, so if someone has already done this work that would be helpful as well. Thanks in advance for any insight :)

Xifanie

Can't you just use GifCam with Shishi? Works perfectly fine for me. Just overrecord a bit to get the proper frame delay for each frame.

Shishi allows you to view each individual animation frame manually if you click "Pause".
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Justarius

I mean, I guess I could do things that way but it's also just an exercise in learning to piece things together to animate. I'd still have to go through the capture frame by frame and remove the black background anyway. I have played through the animations manually, and it appears to be 8 frames of animation like I stated above, there's just something that seems off about it when I put it all together. Plus I'm still unsure of the actual frame rate of the animation when it's played back, but I don't really know an accurate way to measure that.

I do appreciate the suggestion, though! Is there any way to make the viewing area of the animation larger in Shishi?