• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 12:26:36 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Chapter 2 Progress Log

Started by 3lric, August 20, 2013, 06:52:12 pm

enricopintos

I finished the first chapter a few years ago (or maybe just 1 year ago) and came back to see how it goes...

I gotta admit, with games like fallout or Phantom Pain, FFT is a game you wouldn't think you'd play... but with this patch I would play it over any of the mentioned games! Really great job guys... hope you can finish it soon.

PD: Since I am here, anyone know a FFT-like modern game?

3lric

Quote from: enricopintos on December 13, 2015, 08:40:19 pm
I finished the first chapter a few years ago (or maybe just 1 year ago) and came back to see how it goes...

I gotta admit, with games like fallout or Phantom Pain, FFT is a game you wouldn't think you'd play... but with this patch I would play it over any of the mentioned games! Really great job guys... hope you can finish it soon.

Thank you very much. I know updates have been lacking lately due to what I've had to do on the side IRL, however I can again assure everyone that my motivation has not faltered in the slighest, only slightly shifted, however I'm glad to say that now that the year is coming to an end, my focus is also moving back here once again, (after some surgeries in my family this coming week, and taking care of said people during the week of recovery) Jot5 is my one true (video game modding) love, and I will never abandon her, and I've still been doing work on it during this time, but the nature of misc fixes generally isn't enough to post an update about.

As for a good "modern" TRPG. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "modern" and it might not be too much like FFT, but if you have a Xbox360 (unfortunately it's exclusive) Operation Darkness is a really really good game. I was playing it before I joined FFH years ago and starting Jot5 is the only reason I didn't have time to finish it before the 360 with my save crapped out. It's a WWII (?) based TRPG where you play as a special set of troops who later gain the ability to turn into werewolves. I was extremely hesitant about it at first when playing, mostly due to the fact that it can be quite a hard game and does require a lot of strategy, but IMO, it's well worth it. (Seriously, why have I never seen anyone talk about this game?)
  • Modding version: PSX

arbar99

Quote from: enricopintos on December 13, 2015, 08:40:19 pm

As someone who never found another TRPG even remotely as addictive as FFT, must say that the closest has been XCOM (enemy unknown/within).. it's certainly more modern from a graphics standpoint, and there is a pretty cool mod of it called Long War. It's significantly different from FFT (alien theme etc), but tactically challenging, and very engrossing. Those certainly killed 6+ months of wait time for the next JOTF for me :)

Guru

So hows everything going guys? Real life problems starting to settle down?

Btw anyone who's waiting for JOT5, in case you didn't know there is another mod on here called Call of Power that just released a 3rd chapter. Just finished playing it and it was really good. There was a couple of hurtful bugs he's working on fixing, but he just released it so it's to be expected. Still was a fun and definitely worth checking out!

3lric

Quote from: Guru on January 02, 2016, 07:17:36 pm
So hows everything going guys? Real life problems starting to settle down?

Btw anyone who's waiting for JOT5, in case you didn't know there is another mod on here called Call of Power that just released a 3rd chapter. Just finished playing it and it was really good. There was a couple of hurtful bugs he's working on fixing, but he just released it so it's to be expected. Still was a fun and definitely worth checking out!

Yes, things are getting better, though im hella sick right now for some reason, because 2016 is a douchebag.

Also yes, be sure to check out CoP, I've helped Kokojo with event fixes quite a bit over the years to improve the final product, it's definitely worth a playthru or 5

VinceValeker

Slightly Offtopic: I'd like to comment on this patch. It's quite the project you've guys made. It's something award worthy imo.

On Topic: So I've been watching the progress summery on the very first page. You normally update that once you guys actually made progress (progress worth noting that is) right? I saw how you (Eleric) have been dealing with life stuff, and the other guy with a display picture of a red Dragoon(?) was waiting on you (@Eleric) and other people(?) to do their thing so he can finish up his bit of work. Thought I'll ask just to clarify my curiosity.

Lastly, I (think) I read somewhere that you guys are Remaking/Re-Releasinh Chapter 1 and 2, and talking about the plot of Chapter 3. Is there going to be another Chapter after that?

Sorry to be asking so many questions, I did just sign up but I've always did lurk about as a guest.

3lric

Correct, I update when there is stuff worth updating on the site. There is lots of stuff that is almost done that will be updated in the OP when they are.

Toshiko is a she and she is waiting on me to talk with her about the Ch3 script (but the Ch1+2 stuff she isn't done just yet, since she has to go through M-Fiction Novel and Dairy of Nanai for Ch1 and 2, and Wyuvle for Ch3 when I finish the fixes)

Jot5 is 4 chapters long. The story is already in place, it just need fine tuning and to have the scripts written.

And correct, Ch1 is getting a re-release with a buttload of new content, this version will also be required to link into Ch2 if you choose to play the re-release before the Ch2 release.

VinceValeker

Quote from: Elric on January 02, 2016, 10:39:31 pm
Correct, I update when there is stuff worth updating on the site. There is lots of stuff that is almost done that will be updated in the OP when they are.

Toshiko is a she and she is waiting on me to talk with her about the Ch3 script (but the Ch1+2 stuff she isn't done just yet, since she has to go through M-Fiction Novel and Dairy of Nanai for Ch1 and 2, and Wyuvle for Ch3 when I finish the fixes)

Jot5 is 4 chapters long. The story is already in place, it just need fine tuning and to have the scripts written.

And correct, Ch1 is getting a re-release with a buttload of new content, this version will also be required to link into Ch2 if you choose to play the re-release before the Ch2 release.

Thanks for the hasty reply!

I haven't tried JoT1 yet. I was going to but seeing that there is going to be a Re-release, I was going to hold off. I tried fiddling around with sprites and all that jazz, seeing how your guys work is almost flawless, it shows that you guys put time and effort into it so waiting for the re-release and chapter 2 will be exciting for me. I appreciate your replies btw, I won't forget to post that.

Last question: is there a FAQs, or a topic that explains JoT5 more clearly and/or a Q&A topic? I don't want to keep posting questions in this topic for it maybe against the rules...

3lric

Quote from: VinceValeker on January 03, 2016, 01:25:20 am
I tried fiddling around with sprites and all that jazz, seeing how your guys work is almost flawless, it shows that you guys put time and effort into it so waiting for the re-release and chapter 2 will be exciting for me. I appreciate your replies btw, I won't forget to post that.

Thank you, it always means a lot to us to hear how much people enjoy our work, it is what makes it worth it in the end.

Quote from: VinceValeker on January 03, 2016, 01:25:20 am
Last question: is there a FAQs, or a topic that explains JoT5 more clearly and/or a Q&A topic?

I don't wanna be -that- guy, but this is thread is only 4 threads down from the one you are posting in:
Journey of the Five FAQ + Q/A

The rest you'll have to read up on or search for. Jot5 Devs aren't known for giving out info lol.

Guru

January 03, 2016, 02:18:00 am #209 Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 02:25:53 am by Guru
Quote from: Elric on January 03, 2016, 01:33:08 am
The rest you'll have to read up on or search for. Jot5 Devs aren't known for giving out info lol.

I've looked through a lot of the posts on this forum and yeah this is an understatement. They like some super secret ancient ninja society when it comes to their mod lol.
http://www.theonion.com/video/ninja-parade-slips-through-town-unnoticed-once-aga-14181

It's not bad to play a bit while you wait. I played quite a bit messing around with builds so when ch1 rerelease and ch2 come out I sorta have a plan. There will be changes though so you gotta keep that in mind but it was still fun anyways!

@elric good I'm glad rl is settling down, hopefully it stays that way for a while and hope you feel better soon too!. I'm looking forward to the next update!

enricopintos

January 03, 2016, 10:44:48 am #210 Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 12:53:26 pm by Elric
Quote from: Elric on December 13, 2015, 09:11:33 pm
Thank you very much. I know updates have been lacking lately due to what I've had to do on the side IRL, however I can again assure everyone that my motivation has not faltered in the slighest, only slightly shifted, however I'm glad to say that now that the year is coming to an end, my focus is also moving back here once again, (after some surgeries in my family this coming week, and taking care of said people during the week of recovery) Jot5 is my one true (video game modding) love, and I will never abandon her, and I've still been doing work on it during this time, but the nature of misc fixes generally isn't enough to post an update about.

As for a good "modern" TRPG. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "modern" and it might not be too much like FFT, but if you have a Xbox360 (unfortunately it's exclusive) Operation Darkness is a really really good game. I was playing it before I joined FFH years ago and starting Jot5 is the only reason I didn't have time to finish it before the 360 with my save crapped out. It's a WWII (?) based TRPG where you play as a special set of troops who later gain the ability to turn into werewolves. I was extremely hesitant about it at first when playing, mostly due to the fact that it can be quite a hard game and does require a lot of strategy, but IMO, it's well worth it. (Seriously, why have I never seen anyone talk about this game?)

Yeah, those games now are kinda rare, especially now that open world games are so popular now... but I'll look into that game you mentioned.

Don't worry about it, we can wait, there's no rush and I suppose you guys prefer to do it slowly and good thant rush it and have many bugs or anyother thing you wouldn't want

I hope everything turns out well with your family

happy new year to everyone!

Quote from: arbar99 on December 19, 2015, 05:42:42 pm

As someone who never found another TRPG even remotely as addictive as FFT, must say that the closest has been XCOM (enemy unknown/within).. it's certainly more modern from a graphics standpoint, and there is a pretty cool mod of it called Long War. It's significantly different from FFT (alien theme etc), but tactically challenging, and very engrossing. Those certainly killed 6+ months of wait time for the next JOTF for me :)

I played a loooooot of both 3 X-COMs, especially Terror From The Deep... I might check that long war mod, looks interesting.

Another really cool TRPG is tactics ogre, I really enjoyed that game, I liked the possibility you could mess up a character leveling it "wrong" and the fact you could have different endings. Also the big maps and and a battler rooster of 10.
The downside is that it doesn't have class skills like in FFT, classes only affect stats growth (that way you can mess characters)
Too bad I could never find a good mod/hack to it. If you haven't played it I recommend you to do it.

DaHammerCrush

on my latest replay I'm getting a thieving Rogue before I make the push to Romar, and an Animist to capture dragons and black & red Chocobo's along the way. Hoping to use the diversity of troops to allow my mains to get free JP while the other guys handle the battles.

Super23Nova

How long i must wait for chapter 2?
i been waiting for 2 years

3lric

Quote from: Super23Nova on May 04, 2016, 03:51:15 am
How long i must wait for chapter 2?
i been waiting for 2 years

Well, you are more than welcome to make your own mod.

Otherwise you'll have to wait until it's done.

I've explained many times why there is the wait, as well as outlined nearly everything we are doing. If you can't review the threads to get info, then don't complain about waiting or not having info. The people who actually DO take the time to read what I post, as well as understand how much work something like this actually TAKES, don't generally have much of an issue other than controlling their excitement and want to play the game with all the new features we are adding. I work 5-7 hours EVERYDAY on Jot5 stuff, if that's not fast enough, I'm sorry.

DanteS

Instead of just saying "How long i must wait for chapter 2?
i been waiting for 2 years" in those 2 years you could understand how hard it is to do a mod like this or learn something to help this amazing group ...
just wait man and cheer then up that's everything we cand do... see ya take care

VinceValeker

I check up on a almost semi daily basis and it excites me every time I do. I also acknowledge the effort the modders do, it's something I cannot do without years of practice.

I also note how they are currently working on the re release of Chap 1, and the talk about how the plot of Chap 3 will go (How is that going anyways?)

For the modders effort (and the fact that they do not personally take donations) Ima donate 20$ to the a charity that helps with Multiple Sclerosis in the name of Eleric and Xifanie (and any others who help with the mod)

It's not much but I'd like to think that it's a good deed of some sort.

Nyzer

May 04, 2016, 09:49:15 pm #216 Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 12:04:39 am by nyzer
Yeah, the changes coming in JUST to the rerelease are ridiculous. Chapter 1 right now is more like... DLC for FFT, with how close it is to what FFT has. It's an addon that continues the story but doesn't do anything extremely groundbreaking. The stuff going into the rerelease is more in line with what an actual sequel would offer. Synthesis, farming, marks, tweaking the battle system even more so we can have things like Dragoons with both Jump and other action abilities...

That said, editing is much slower than it should be, simply because of the difficulty of modding everything in by hand. This isn't some patch done almost entirely through Patcher work. Try changing a spell effect or an ability formula some time.

If you want an update on our general progress, something we've been doing for the past few weeks has been to sit down and go over the skillset for every single unique unit in the game (so far) - this includes units like Raiden (I still assert that I'm going to slip him into the game as the Cloaked Stranger when Elric isn't looking; skillset is half Snake and half Agrias - sword skills after all), the final boss (and minions), the party members that join all the way up to Chapter 4...

It's something we need to work through, because we only have a finite amount of ability slots and effects we can use. Before we can get into detail about minibosses and special Marks (to the best of my knowledge, we only have a small number of these in Ch. 2 as is), we need to know how much is required for the main storyline.

And that ain't just patcher work, either. A fat stack of abilities we've chosen require spell effect edits or custom formulae (which is the reason I brought those examples up earlier). I've proposed more than a few ideas that have been shot down simply because the work required to make them function the way I imagined would just be too much weight to add to the shoulders of the people who handle that sort of stuff, and I don't even have the experience to manage a seemingly straightforward graphic change. An example: I proposed an HP boosting Support skill, and it was shot down because it doesn't properly display the increased HP cap. Nobody knows how to make it do that.

Hell, Elric's even remaking the final encounter of Chapter 2 just based on the talk concerning the relevant characters in the skillset topic:

QuoteThe [final event] was never intended to be a prelude to a battle... I was pretty sure I made this clear long ago. That being said we have about 9 conditions in the [redacted] battle and I -could- make [redacted] power up.

However, several problems arise. It's said that it was written to not have a save or anything between them, so how is [redacted] and everyone else aside from [redacted] and [redacted] removed from the battle while keeping their gained exp n such? How do we know that people will even use [redacted] unless we also require them in that battle in addition to [redacted] already being required?

I see what Raven was going for here, but I personally won't be willing to make that change unless there are good solutions to these questions...

I would move the event I made to play as a battle condition but it also uses EVTCHR. Not to mention how can we even DO that without blacking out the screen? We can't just assign coordinates to people in the middle of battle without it looking wonky as hell, that's why in the sephiroth battle in ch1 he has to teleports cloud and link to 2 specific spots in Lionel castle before Ramza and Co walk in, you never know where someone will have a unit standing and if they aren't the first person to move then what if someone else goes to walk onto their spot? You can't put 2 units on 1 tiles without GhostUnit, so that won't work unless all units are removed and replaced on the map somehow without looking derpy as hell.

The ONLY way I could see this working would be with a save between the two... meaning, the first battle would end, then my cutscene would play, then another battle with [redacted], [redacted]  (both [unique Jobs]) plus [redacted] and [redacted]'s Two [lackeys] duke it out, followed by yet another cutscene to play out the rest of the first cutscene which isn't finished yet anyway... Idk, ideas please?

I did post a suggestion about how it might work, which he shot down because it wasn't anywhere near good enough for what he would want to do with it if he went that route. I don't have the exact quote of what he said, but it was something along the lines of "not wanting to throw an amateur rush job out there, I have higher standards than that".

QuoteFor the modders effort (and the fact that they do not personally take donations) Ima donate 20$ to the a charity that helps with Multiple Sclerosis in the name of Eleric and Xifanie (and any others who help with the mod)

You spelled Elric's name wrong, but that's still pretty cool of you, Vince!
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Selius

Quote from: Elric on May 04, 2016, 07:22:52 am
I work 5-7 hours EVERYDAY on Jot5 stuff, if that's not fast enough, I'm sorry.

u cray cray

Hyraldelita

What i always thought about this "Developer team" Is that compared to the FFT team, which was square, they are just a few...

Try to count all the people that worked on FFT , even taking off the music side and other things, will probably count into a a hundred people or so, and we have no idea how much it took to all those people to make FFtactics.

So for just a handful of people to do a work like this, it must be a HUGE amount of work.  Everytime i open up this forum i think , damn its still not out XD

But i will never be able to blame anything on the people who are working for free, and with such passion on a game nearly 20 years old.  I'll just keep waiting and play with the same feelings i had when i played FFT the first time, after waiting all this time !

Basically .. the more you wait for something the more you will enjoy when you get it ^^

Zyrku

Maybe a little teasing... ;D