• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:18:38 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Playing on ubuntu

Started by Helbrax, December 10, 2008, 06:08:59 pm

Helbrax

December 10, 2008, 06:08:59 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Helbrax
I just got everything running on ubuntu.  I had a few pitfalls here and there, so here is what I did to get it working, in case anyone is interested.  If this is in the wrong place please move to the proper board :).

Install pSX.  A google search should find it.  It may complain about a libgtk so file missing.  Just search the respository for it and install.
Insert the PS1 disc.  If the disc won't mount.  Try the following:
sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/<cddevice> <yourmountpoint>
Rip an image.  If you don't have cdrdao installed, install it from the repository. <filename> is whatever name you want to give it.
cdrdao read-cd --read-raw --datafile <filename>.iso --device /dev/<cddevice> --driver generic-mmc-raw <filename>.toc

Install the latest version of Wine if you don't already have it.
Download the v1.3 patch and the patcher for windows(the .exe).
Run the patcher with wine.
Patch the iso and play!

Archael

December 10, 2008, 06:44:39 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
this is helpful & informative...

I have no clue how you solved the problem, I'm not even 100% understanding what the problem was

but props... (I've never used ubuntu.. I'm not even sure what it is)

forgive me :)

Helbrax

December 10, 2008, 07:15:42 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Helbrax
Ubuntu is a distribution of the linux operating system.

Had to do some google searching to figure out how the rip the image properly.  Other than that is was pretty easy.  Now if I could just get past Dorter!  Infinite items on the enemies is a pain in the arse.

Helbrax

January 08, 2009, 03:33:33 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Helbrax
Edited information above in case you want to include it as a footnote in the FAQ somewhere.

Step 1:  Install an emulator for linux.  pSX and ePSXe are the most common.  No matter which one you use, you will need a BIOS.
Step 2: Insert the FFT PS1 disc.  If the disc won't mount.  Try the following:
sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/<cddevice> <yourmountpoint>Step 3: Rip an image.  Use whichever image ripping program that you can get to work.  I used cdrdao.
If you don't have cdrdao installed, install it from your data repository or from the web. <filename> is whatever name you want to give it.
cdrdao read-cd --read-raw --datafile <filename>.iso --device /dev/<cddevice> --driver generic-mmc-raw <filename>.tocStep 5: Download the v1.3 patch
Step 6: Download applyppf for linux
Step 7: Compile applyppf:
gcc -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE  -o applyppf applyppf3_linux.cStep 8: Make sure that applyppf is executable:
chmod u+x applyppfStep 9: Apply the patch to your iso:
./applyppf a youriso thefftpatchfile

You should have a patched version of FFT!  You may want to make a backup copy of your ISO before patching, just in case the patch didn't work, or you need to re-patch later and you don't want to have to burn an image again.
Patch the iso and play!

Archael

January 19, 2009, 09:37:39 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Helbrax"Edited information above in case you want to include it as a footnote in the FAQ somewhere.

Step 1:  Install an emulator for linux.  pSX and ePSXe are the most common.  No matter which one you use, you will need a BIOS.
Step 2: Insert the FFT PS1 disc.  If the disc won't mount.  Try the following:
sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/<cddevice> <yourmountpoint>Step 3: Rip an image.  Use whichever image ripping program that you can get to work.  I used cdrdao.
If you don't have cdrdao installed, install it from your data repository or from the web. <filename> is whatever name you want to give it.
cdrdao read-cd --read-raw --datafile <filename>.iso --device /dev/<cddevice> --driver generic-mmc-raw <filename>.tocStep 5: Download the v1.3 patch
Step 6: Download applyppf for linux
Step 7: Compile applyppf:
gcc -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE  -o applyppf applyppf3_linux.cStep 8: Make sure that applyppf is executable:
chmod u+x applyppfStep 9: Apply the patch to your iso:
./applyppf a youriso thefftpatchfile
You should have a patched version of FFT!  You may want to make a backup copy of your ISO before patching, just in case the patch didn't work, or you need to re-patch later and you don't want to have to burn an image again.
Patch the iso and play!

I will add it to the 1.3 guide thanks

Helbrax

January 20, 2009, 03:02:39 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Helbrax
Quote from: "Voldemort7"I will add it to the 1.3 guide thanks

Thanks.  A "Can you play this under linux" FAQ entry pointing to this post should be sufficient, unless you wan the add the entire text.  Entirely up to you.

TRC

I run Arch Linux and I figured it might be worth mentioning that ppf-o-matic works using WINE

Fusso

I use ubuntu 10.04 and that's what i did

ePSXe under wine... i know there is a ePSXe for linux, but it uses old library files and it is buggy as hell
ppf-o-matic under wine
virtual machine with windows xp for all the rest

with this combination, you can pretty much run everything
*** END OF MESSAGE ***

abdullahalghafli

i want to burn this version(1.3) on cd to play it in playstation 1(not emulator).I got wine and the exe file,and it works. I would realy appreciate your help.
thanks a lot.

Cheetah

To get a PSX to play modded/burned games, you will have to go somewhere else.
Current Projects:

Bazong

For those using Ubuntu 64bit pcsx-r might be a more convenient emulator, as there are fewer issues with graphics drivers. Either find it via pcsxr in  the Software Center or follow this link:
http://pcsxr.codeplex.com/releases/view/50048

My recommendation is using the XVideo Driver, as the OpenGL still causes glitches.

emccalment

I'm by no means a linux expert, but I do enjoy dabbling quite a bit and am currently running Gentoo 64. I have had no issues running any of the modding software programs under wine, even CDmage and ppf-o-matic.

As for emulator to use, I think it largely depends on your hardware. If you're running a 64 bit system then odds are pcsx-r, as mentioned before, has a direct package under your distro. However, the extra linux plugins will not work. I'm pretty sure that's because pcsx-r can come as a 64-bit package and the plugins are 32-bit. The upside however is that it will run better, from my experience, with a system that doesn't have the best of video cards, or no dedicated video card. pcsx-r also comes ready to use out of the box.

epsxe provides the ability to use all the extra linux plugins, but requires some configuration before it's usable. It's also what I would be using if I had better graphics capabilities on my laptop. pSX is relatively easy to set up, and I had great results with it through Zenwalk.

Ultimately, I just crossed my fingers that everything would run through Wine and not need a virtual machine. Great success. :mrgreen: