• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:56:42 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Edit sprite interaction in cutscenes?

Started by DERIDEX120, December 07, 2015, 04:22:58 pm

DERIDEX120

I am planning to completely overhaul the WOTL for psp entirely.
I have plans to change the story, if possible, and the cutscenes as well. (Like when ramza uses that blade of grass as a whistle, or when we see the flower girl)
So if its possible how is it done?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Angel

First suggestion: don't use WotL. You won't get any work done on something that ambitious unless you work from the PSX version instead.

Now that we're not working off WotL, it is very possible. We have many guides for accomplishing all of the above in the Tutorials and Learning section.
  • Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

DERIDEX120

I never really figured out how to mod or patch the psx version successfully on my console. Do I need to jailbreak the console or can I still use my psp?

Angel

Any console will need to be modded to play hacks, PSP or otherwise. But yes, as long as the ASM hacks are console-friendly, you can play the PSX version with mods on PSP.

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame

DERIDEX120

Why is the WOTL version harder to mod than psx? Whats different?

Angel

Modding PSX FFT is like changing the oil and spark plugs on your car. Modding WotL is more like pulling the engine, dropping the transmission, and replacing the clutch, all while on shrooms and half a bottle of absinthe. You're gonna be frustrated at what you can't accomplish, you're gonna break things, and nobody is gonna help you put it back together unless you're willing to pay a professional to sit back and do it for you, and they're gonna charge a high price because they don't want to touch it.

PSX FFT is well-documented with a plethora of useful ready-to-use tools and hacks and spreadsheets. WotL has a couple tools you can use without being too painful, but many things are undocumented, many things you can do on PSX cannot be done yet (and probably never will), and hacking it from the lowest level is a dangerous thing, because it runs on a very volatile emulation layer inside of another emulation layer. It's a mess.

DERIDEX120

I'm liking the automotive analogies. (I work as an auto mechanic for a living) I modded and patched WOTL before, but as you said I was limited. Ill try to tinker with the psx version. I just have to figure out how ecactly to utilize it through psp. Ill look into a psx emulator for it. Thanks for the warning about wotl

Angel

Ha, that's awesome!

And PSP firmware has a built-in emulator referred to as POPS, which chooses the HLE profile based on the SCUS/SLUS code of the game. It's slightly less volatile than WotL on its own, but not as easygoing as an emulator on PC, or even playing on a live PlayStation. But I've played through FFT on it - with certain mods, even - just fine.

DERIDEX120

Are you saying the psp will play a psx iso without me having to add an emulator?

Angel

Correct. But just as you need custom firmware to play a modded WotL, you will still need custom firmware to play modded FFT. But PSP has the innate ability to play PSX games in the form of eboots, created from programs like PSX2PSP.

DERIDEX120

Ill have to wait for a new battery for my psp before I can run any tests. One last question though. In my remodel of the game, im planning on adding (or changing) unique characters, including campaign enemies.
I had thought of a boss battle, in which he has a member of your party hostage, you must defeat him in 3 or 4 turns or your member crystallizes and is immediately powered up.

I also wanted to create a new class (or rewrite one) where the skillset is designed to "latch" onto another character like a parasite, characters affected lose a turn and I figure HP adjustments (add or subtract for friendlies or enemies) would come into play. But it would require the attack animations to change. So my question on that part is that too ambitious or is that doable?

Jumza

I don't know about that second thing, but that boss battle design is very possible (and I highly recommend using PSX as well, especially for stuff like that!).

Feel free to ask for help when learning to do stuff like that :)
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Angel

Not sure what you mean about the attack animations changing. How so? The rest of it is certainly doable, though.

Also, for testing purposes, you really will want to use a PC/Mac/Linux/Android/not-PSP PlayStation emulator. Creating eboots for PSP is slow, copying them to the memstick is slow, and then you might try to run the eboot just to have it crash because of some unforeseen error. It's cool to have 'working on PSP' as a goal, especially if that's what you prefer to play on, but it's veeeeeery slow for testing purposes. And you most definitely will want to test your changes often.

DERIDEX120

December 08, 2015, 04:21:54 pm #13 Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 04:35:52 pm by Toshiko
I think a pc emulator would be quickest.
And to clarify what I meant with "latching" characters, think of the attacking character being locked in the attack sprite while the attacked character is locked in the hit sprite. So they stay in these poses pretty much. (Untill one is hit by someone else or the countdown is completed)

I also wanted to clarify the "boss" as mentioned.
I was going to use a custom sprite for this one. Think of a villainous character using, say, agrias as a human shield. This is one character as far as the game is concerned, but the sprite gives the illusion of two people in one space. There is a countdown here, if it hits 0, agrias is gone for good. But if you can KO him before then, she joins as a playable character. Thata the idea, anyway.

Angel

This is one of those times where I have to say it sounds plausible enough, but I don't know how to accomplish it. Everything outside of locking the character animations is quite feasible, but the locked animations would take more ingenuity. I posed the question to Xifanie, but she's not exactly all that awake and coherent at the moment.

DERIDEX120

Greetings. Im having some trouble with the PC emulator I picked up in the tools section.
Its asking for a BIOS file, but I can't seem to find a legit copy anywhere online, do any of you have a legit source?

Angel

We cannot legally provide a link to a BIOS image, but you what you want will either be named SCPH1001.BIN.bin or more simply SCPH1001.BIN and will be 512 kilobytes uncompressed. The top results on Google should be assumed to be safe unless you have a slanted Google account, which should hopefully not be the case.

Also, while PCSX-R has an emulated BIOS (therefore does not require a legit BIOS image), the RNG in FFT does not behave as it should with this BIOS. It's an almost negligible difference, but may prove of some import with just the right ASM hack coming into play.

DERIDEX120

I finally found a legit BIOS, but I'm still receiving the same error message.
it reads: "the program can't start because d3dx9_29.dll is missing. try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."
again, this is the same program I found in the tools section. Perhaps the issue is with WIN10 compatibility?
I don't know. I'm sorry. tech support isn't really your job. I feel like I'm off to a really bad start in this. :?

Jumza

No worries :) I bet a lot of us had trouble when we first started out trying to get our emulators to work. I know I sure did.

Anyway, if it's shooting errors at you that say 'X file is missing' your best bet is googling it (as you did with the BIOS). If not, you can try other emulators (though people here tend to use psx) and just put the BIOS file that you got in with that one.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Angel

Well, tech support used to be my job, and it was the most fulfilling job I ever had, so I don't mind.

The program doesn't actually come with the required DirectX 9 dlls, despite its dependency on them. I haven't yet upgraded to Windows 10 (though I do plan to once I finally put this SSD over here in my laptop), but I'm surprised it doesn't have DirectX 9 support out of the box. Seems to be a common problem with DX runtime not installing 9.0c's files in Windows 10, with conflicting reports as to how to solve the problem. Microsoft's official solution to the issue is here though, so we'll try that first.