• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:21:38 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

ASM Hack Proposals (for modders and ASMers)

Started by Xifanie, August 14, 2014, 05:30:56 pm

Xifanie

August 14, 2014, 05:30:56 pm Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 10:37:06 pm by Xifanie
- Do not request hacks in this topic. This topic is here to discuss ideas beneficial to everyone, not just your own personal patch. To make a request, go HERE.
- People's opinions are welcome, but mostly modders', because after all, they're the ones who will use the hacks. Speak up!
- If you don't understand how video games work, refrain from mentioning your crazy extravagant ideas.

Current list of proposals:
No progress - In progress? - Completed

Why this topic? I think we need to discuss more about the hacks we make rather than just being like: "Here, I made dis." I'll update the topic as people submit their ideas.

With this topic, you can:

• See if your idea is worth it or not

• Get opinions about specifics of the hack

• Potentially get an ASM hacker interested in making the hack

October 15, 2015 new!
Remove Monster Skill by Xifanie

Description:
Remove Monster Skill. Do not make it innate, remove it entirely. Should be simple and allow permanent use of Monsters' 4th skill without any issue unlike making it innate.

November 20, 2014 No progress
New Options by Xifanie

Description:
Reallocate "Battle Menu" text to add more space for entirely custom new options for custom ASM hacks.
Of course, this would only be used for player-related options, and the ability to turn esthetic hacks on or off.

For example, a new option for Excessive passive recovery is not displayed:
15 Display excess passive recovery
[indent=21]Full
Limit
Never
[/indent]

October 29, 2014 In progress?
Alternate Animations by Xifanie

Description:
Assign a different animation for abilities based on the sprite type to allow things such as flawless animations for Blue Magic (humans using monster abilities), monsters using human reactions, and others.

I would suggest a half-word for the ability ID, one byte for the sprite type (1 bit per type), and all the regular animation bytes. I've never messed with those, but I'm guessing that's all there is to it.

October 8, 2014 No progress
Alternate to Crystallization by Choto
In progress? by Choto (last updated: October 25, 2014)

Description:
When a units death timer runs out, it's set to "knocked out" or the alternating stars over guests when they're dead. At this point the unit would not be revivable for the rest of the battle, and when the party returns to the formation screen, their character would be blacked out and set to "missing" (which would probably be changed to "injured" or something). After a some amount of days, the unit would heal and become usable again. It could be done pretty easily using the vanilla proposition data.

So this would effectively be a temporary time-out when a unit dies in battle. It would encourage building a larger party and allow you to play more loosely and let units perma-die knowing they won't be erased, just unusable for a short while.

September 20, 2014
"Reflect" Reaction Ability bounces offensive spells back to the caster by DuxorW

Description:
% Brave trigger, would only work with offensive spells.

Discussion:
Would it require the reflect status to have a chance of activating?

September 8, 2014
Cancel "Move" after confirmation by Vaan and Toshiko

Description:
Allow the player to cancel their "Move" if the targetable area doesn't suit them after all. This would only involve pressing X (Cancel) once more, as it is how it works in all other SRPGs with the feature.

September 4, 2014
Soldier Office Upgrade by Xifanie
COMPLETED by Xifanie

September 4, 2014
Treasure Box Upgrade by Xifanie
In Progress? by Pride (last updated: October 23, 2014)

Description:
As it stands, if a unit turns into a treasure box, it will pick any of the equipped item to be chosen as the reward. If no items are equipped, a chemist item is randomly generated.
The idea would be to give monsters and generic humans new drops that would be based on their level. The higher the level, the least likely to randomly get a lower level item.

For example, these chocobos would only ever drop one of those items.:

Chocobo:

• Potion (lvl 1)

• Phoenix Down (lvl 13)

• White Robe (lvl 26)

• Feather Mantle (lvl 50)

Discussion:
I was wondering about how to have the item randomly generated; here's just and idea.
Level 1 to 12: 1/1 Potion
Level 13: 12/13 Potion, 1/13 Phoenix Down
Level 26: 12/26 Potion, 13/26 Phoenix Down, 1/26 White Robe
Level 50: 12/50 Potion, 13/26 Phoenix Down, 24/50 White Robe, 1/50 Feather Mantle

September 4, 2014
Treasure Hunter and Jewel Hunter support abilities by Xifanie

Description:
Treasure Hunter: Any target the unit kills is doomed to become a treasure box
Jewel Hunter: Any target the unit kills is doomed to become a crystal

August 16, 2014
Roster Reorganization by Xifanie

Description:
This hack would allow the player to create a custom order of units to view in the formation screen, and potentially also the order of selectable units in a squad for battle.

Discussion:
How do we do it? We cannot simply copy/paste the data inside the formation because it causes many glitches. I suggest either creating a new "Order Unit" list, or use "Number" or something else to make the game order the units as we want.
I was thinking the units could be moved around with a controller button combination as thus increasing/decreasing the list position, but all buttons have a function by default.

August 14, 2014
Excessive passive recovery is not displayed by Xifanie
COMPLETED by Glain

Description:
This hack would make it prevent displaying HP/MP regeneration if you are already at full HP/MP with: Regen, Move-HP Up, Move-MP Up. I'm no good with formula stuff that isn't documented, so I'd rather leave this to someone else.

Discussion:
If a unit has 765/800 max HP, while regen heals for 1/8th max HP, should it display a regeneration of 35HP or 100HP?

March 11, 2014
Charge and Delay by Xifanie

Original topic: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=10330

Description:
All abilities would have a charge time, from 0 to very long, and would delay the user by a certain amount of CT after the skill revolves.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Kaijyuu

August 16, 2014, 12:44:04 pm #1 Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 01:38:19 pm by Xifanie
Quote from: Xifanie on August 14, 2014, 05:30:56 pmQuestionement:
If a unit has 765/800 max HP, while regen heals for 1/8th max HP, should it display a regeneration of 35HP or 100HP?

100 HP. If I'm not certain what an ability does, I don't like ambiguity when attempting to reason it out.

The tiny bit of tidiness added by displaying the actual healed HP isn't worth the loss of information.

We could just as well be talking about damage or direct healing, and you would probably rather see your fighter do 300 damage to a near dead opponent than 2 (and similarly your healer do a big number rather than a small one). Information is less of an issue here since FFT has the predicted damage/healing window, but it still "feels" nicer to see the full number.

Vanya

I am of the opposing thought. I'd rather have the tidiness of displaying actual values healed/damage done.
And to the point of having more information, by having accurate numbers could help the player puzzle out the HP ranges of enemies that have their stats obscured.
Besides, when you go to learn a given skill it should simply say what that skill does in it's description.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

nitwit

Quote from: Xifanie on August 14, 2014, 05:30:56 pmThis hack would make it prevent displaying HP/MP regeneration if you are already at full HP/MP with: Regen, Move-HP Up, Move-MP Up. I'm no good with formula stuff that isn't documented, so I'd rather leave this to someone else.

Does the reaction ability Distribute work with passive healing?

The Damned

(No, Distribute doesn't work with passive healing IIRC.)

I can see where Kaijyuu is coming from, but I ultimately agree with Vanya, if primarily because of one hack that I've been wanting to see that no one's done and I could never bring to bother anyone for: Making it so that Absorption techniques and weapons don't give you overflow HP (or MP) when you empty someone's HP (or MP) with them for an excess amount.

I'm generally fine with overflow damage and healing otherwise since it doesn't affect anything else obviously, but this particular aspect of absorption techniques in FFT has always...bugged me rather greatly for some reason. I think this is partly because of the fights against Gafgarion in vanilla post-Zirekile were some of the few actually difficult fights in the game even before stuff overflow Night Sword on a just PD'd unit healed him for +100 HP. The same goes for Elmdor(e) and his accursed Blood Suck.

I've just never brought it up because a) it's a relatively minor issue even with that, b) it's difficult to tell just how much you'd have to change given how...challenged Square apparently is at coding as I've been told by Raven and others and c) I admittedly rather like Gafgarion, so him getting to keep a bit of nonsensical buff is kinda fine with me. So, if anything, I'm just more surprised that no one seems to have bothered looking into it or, at least, no one has said anything about it publicly. Just like I'm surprised that no one seems to have looked into why Mime doesn't Mimic valid all the time or how to make use of Math Skill's usually defunct parameters for...other purposes.

Speaking of those last two things, there are four more proposals I have presently. I'll put them in descending order of importance. I'll also try to limit it to these for now since I just want to get them down before I forget (again):

1. Switching the CT clock of a status, let's say Reflect, with a status that doesn't naturally have one, like say Berserk (hint hint): Yes, I'm asking this partly for the sake of ARENA even though FFMaster is still gone. I've already been told a couple of years ago that there's unfortunately limited space with respect to statuses having CTs. I also vaguely recall being told that it's rather complicated or at least space-consuming to try to make new "clocks" for statuses, if it can even be done at all (presently). So, I figure that this is basically the easiest stopgap, especially since Reflect easily has the most expendable "clock" of any status with them are present anyway. (Wait, does Wall status have a clock? I forget.)

2. Making Mime able to mimic valid actions 100% of the time since it currently isn't doing that for...some reason. Alternately, making it possible to replace Mime without the game bugging out over its replacement: I'll be blunt. Mime is currently dead to me more or less because it can't do the one job that's it supposed to be doing and the only thing it can do with certainty. Even more vexing is that it's been doing this since vanilla and, yet, for all the years that FFH has been around already, no one has looked into it. I'm not going to say that I'm blameless in this weird lack of exploration, but I still can't code for crap, so there's that unfortunately. So, yeah, I figure that it would be best to try to see if there's a way to fix Mime's glitching at times, since that's basically what its failure to Mimic is. Either that or see if there's at least way to easily replace Mime on (the job wheel) without its replacement acting weird since I don't think that's still possible. Both would be nice, but I'm try not to push my luck.

3. Innate Move-MP Up for all: Rather self explanatory. The idea came to me given that the link at the top of this thread actually given that Toshiko commented on how MP would be fine (only) if there was MP regeneration that wasn't as paltry as the fixed 5 MP per turn in FFT:A. As someone who is still (vaguely) planning to make an FFT:A inspired patch and also as someone who indeed feels like MP rather handicaps already often handicapped mages, this seems like the easiest fix. Granted, the percentage would probably have to be dropped from 1/8 to 1/10 or perhaps even less, but that still seems both better and easier than trying to code in a universal fixed number regeneration like the above 5 MP.

4. Allowing Math Skill Parameters to affect formulas...somehow: Read: I just want formulas with Level (X) (MA+Y)% already is so possible. Pretty please? Much like straight out grafting Math Skill onto things, I highly doubt that you'd be able to (easily) just plug in a variable for that formula rather than needing a fixed digit from the go like 2 or 5, but I figured I might as well push the thought. As already mentioned, this is something I'm still surprised it seems like no one has looked into, especially given how common Level [Whatever] abilities are in Final Fantasy games.

Like I just said, I can't code for crap unfortunately, so I won't really be any help here (as per usual).
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Pride

3. Not Innate MP Move-Up but I made this a while ago.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
  <Patch name="Restore 10% of Max MP on turn start">
    <Description>MP Restores by 10% on turn</Description>
    <Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="F6EBC">
      CCCC033C
      2E000296
      CDCC6334
      C2180300
      960103A6
      B10103A2
      0800E003
    </Location>
    <Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="11C280">
      AF77050C
    </Location>
  </Patch>
</Patches>
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

The Damned

(Oh? Just as good.)

Actually it's quite a deal better, Pride, given that it means that one can still use Move-MP Up in-game as well as the fact that it's at the beginning of the turn rather than at the end or after a Move. The latter would still have been potentially problematic given how the A.I....acts at times and your hack makes it so that that there's no way even the A.I. can mess up it.

Much thanks. I knew there was a reason you were my favorite deadly sin (...after Wrath), Pride.

P.S. I misspoke slightly above anyway. Move-MP Up and Move-HP Up already "only" restores 1/10 of MP and HP per move respectively; I got confused with Regen's (and, I guess, "Mist"'s) rate of 1/8 for some reason. Still, that's one request down already.

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Choto

Alrighty TheDamned. In regards to 1., I present the following from RFH's hacks:

<Patch name="XX status use Wall CT">
<Description>Wall CT is always 0. The CT of the new status is adjustable in Wall CT in FFTPatcher

Status number:

00 Blank Status
01 Crystal
02 Dead
03 Undead
04 Charging
05 Jump
06 Defending
07 Performing
08 Petrify
09 Invite
0A Darkness
0B Confusion
0C Silence
0D Blood Suck
0E Dark / Evil Loocking
0F Treasure

</Description>
<Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="12693c">
BC770508

</Location>
<Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="f6ef0">
C3100200
XX000534
1980073C
982DE78C
0700A330
2128E800
BB01A290
5A360608

</Location>
</Patch>

This could (should) probably be expanded to map X status onto Y status CT slot in SA's status coloring workbook.

QuoteEven more vexing is that it's been doing this since vanilla and, yet, for all the years that FFH has been around already, no one has looked into it.

In regards to this, I present the following:

<Patch name ="Mime functions as normal Job (v2)">
<Description>
Mime still can't learn abilities, but otherwise, they should be perfectly normal. If you want mimes to still mimic, delete the last line (11BF44).
</Description>
<Location file="WORLD_WORLD_BIN" offset="00005014">
FFFF0334
</Location>
<Location file="WORLD_WORLD_BIN" offset="00005040">
FFFF0334
</Location>
<Location file="WORLD_WORLD_BIN" offset="000150C0">
FFFF0234
</Location>
<Location file="WORLD_WORLD_BIN" offset="00029110">
FFFF0334
</Location>
<Location file="WORLD_WORLD_BIN" offset="0002913C">
FFFF0334
</Location>
<Location file="WORLD_WORLD_BIN" offset="00029290">
FFFF0334
</Location>
<Location file="WORLD_WORLD_BIN" offset="000292BC">
FFFF0334
</Location>
<Location file="WORLD_WORLD_BIN" offset="0002CB00">
5d000334
</Location>
<Location file="WORLD_WORLD_BIN" offset="0002CB2C"><!--Some portrait nonsense-->
5d000334
</Location>
<Location file="WORLD_WORLD_BIN" offset="00040E80">
</Location>
<Location file="WORLD_WORLD_BIN" offset="00042818">
5d000234
</Location>
<Location file="WORLD_WORLD_BIN" offset="00044834">
FFFF0234
</Location>
<Location file="WORLD_WORLD_BIN" offset="000448D0">
FFFF0234
</Location>
<Location file="WORLD_WORLD_BIN" offset="00044B00">
5d000234
</Location>
<Location file="WORLD_WORLD_BIN" offset="00045470">
FFFF0234
</Location>
<Location file="WORLD_WORLD_BIN" offset="000455B0">
FFFF0334
</Location>
<Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="00116BD8"><!--Mimic functionality-->
FFFF0234
</Location>
<Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="113980"><!--Item Throw range-->
     ffff0334
</Location>
<Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="116b50"><!-- MP Usage-->
</Location>
<Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="127f4c"><!--Ability data setting-->
</Location>
<Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="11bf64"><!--Mimic Ability storing-->
</Location>
<Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="DA84c"><!--Spell Quote-->
</Location>
</Patch>

I also present the following:

<Patch name="Calculator/Math skill normalization">
<Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="125ff4"><!--Spells get reflected-->
</Location>
<Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="DA844"><!--Spell Quote-->
</Location>
<Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="115F74"><!--Removed forced slowdown-->
</Location>
</Patch>

Now these don't cover ALL the bases, but whatever else is missing from these normalizations can be found and fixed

The formula thing is doable, somebody would just need to do it.

In regards to Xif's proposals,

1. I think the roster reorganization would be a cool thing to have but seems like alot of effort for little reward. Maybe it could be done more simply than I think, but controller input always scares me :(

2. Excessive passive recovery could probably be done simply.. youd' just have to find the right place to do it. I'll put this on my radar and if I can get to it i'll do it. No guarantees though

3. The Charge Delay thing is still an interesting idea. After playing Divinity: Original Sin it got me thinking about the format more. They use Action Points which are recovered by a certain amount after each turn round and AP costs for abilities. This also seems like it would be alot of work but I'm thinking about doing another hack that turns Speed into a stat like MA and PA, and links the amount of CT a unit gains each clocktick to their job. Since there would be crossover between that hack and this I'll keep it in mind if I get to doing the hack I'm thinking of.

IcePenguin

This may have already been created but, how about optional random battles?  If you want to fight on a map, select a "Enter Map" option from the main menu, or by pushing a button, or something... ?

OR, how about a "Flee" ability that you can use to escape from random battles?   :o

Celdia

Quote from: IcePenguin on August 31, 2014, 04:57:05 pm
This may have already been created but, how about optional random battles?  If you want to fight on a map, select a "Enter Map" option from the main menu, or by pushing a button, or something... ?

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=953.msg189610#msg189610
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

The Damned

(Oh, hey. That optional random encounter thing also looks quite useful. Hmmm....)

Ah, much thanks, Choto.

Unfortunately I have quite a few questions to ask for the sake of clarification, so get prepared for me to over-use the word "correct" a lot in this post.

Quote from: Choto on August 31, 2014, 11:55:24 am
Alrighty TheDamned. In regards to 1., I present the following from RFH's hacks:

<Patch name="XX status use Wall CT">
<Description>Wall CT is always 0. The CT of the new status is adjustable in Wall CT in FFTPatcher

Status number:

00 Blank Status
01 Crystal
02 Dead
03 Undead
04 Charging
05 Jump
06 Defending
07 Performing
08 Petrify
09 Invite
0A Darkness
0B Confusion
0C Silence
0D Blood Suck
0E Dark / Evil Loocking
0F Treasure

</Description>
<Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="12693c">
BC770508

</Location>
<Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="f6ef0">
C3100200
XX000534
1980073C
982DE78C
0700A330
2128E800
BB01A290
5A360608

</Location>
</Patch>

This could (should) probably be expanded to map X status onto Y status CT slot in SA's status coloring workbook.

I see. Interesting. I had forgotten about this mostly because, like when I ask about if people have tested Xifanie's stat reduction & boost hard-limits, no one answers.

For the sake of clarification with regards to this, are the statuses that have CTs that can be switched with Wall only the ones that are listed? Or can we also switch any status space that exists--save for Wall itself obviously--so long as we have the appropriate hex designation for it?

For instance, Berserk is what I'm most interested in at present and that's 14 in hex given its five spaces after Treasure. If I input 14 as the status number, will Berserk actually be affected and take Wall's CT clock? Or will it just not work because this particular hack "bottoms out" at Treasure?

Also, this switches only the CT clock, correct? It doesn't switch the status Order or anything else like that, correct?

Regardless, even if it does bottom out at Treasure, I suppose this would still be useful for making either Darkness/Blind or Silence or even Confusion finite in duration.

In regards to this, I present the following:

<Patch name ="Mime functions as normal Job (v2)">
<Description>
Mime still can't learn abilities, but otherwise, they should be perfectly normal. If you want mimes to still mimic, delete the last line (11BF44).
</Description>
<Location file="WORLD_WORLD_BIN" offset="00005014">
FFFF0334
</Location>
<Location file="WORLD_WORLD_BIN" offset="00005040">
FFFF0334
</Location>
<Location file="WORLD_WORLD_BIN" offset="000150C0">
FFFF0234
</Location>
<Location file="WORLD_WORLD_BIN" offset="00029110">
FFFF0334
</Location>
<Location file="WORLD_WORLD_BIN" offset="0002913C">
FFFF0334
</Location>
<Location file="WORLD_WORLD_BIN" offset="00029290">
FFFF0334
</Location>
<Location file="WORLD_WORLD_BIN" offset="000292BC">
FFFF0334
</Location>
<Location file="WORLD_WORLD_BIN" offset="0002CB00">
5d000334
</Location>
<Location file="WORLD_WORLD_BIN" offset="0002CB2C"><!--Some portrait nonsense-->
5d000334
</Location>
<Location file="WORLD_WORLD_BIN" offset="00040E80">
</Location>
<Location file="WORLD_WORLD_BIN" offset="00042818">
5d000234
</Location>
<Location file="WORLD_WORLD_BIN" offset="00044834">
FFFF0234
</Location>
<Location file="WORLD_WORLD_BIN" offset="000448D0">
FFFF0234
</Location>
<Location file="WORLD_WORLD_BIN" offset="00044B00">
5d000234
</Location>
<Location file="WORLD_WORLD_BIN" offset="00045470">
FFFF0234
</Location>
<Location file="WORLD_WORLD_BIN" offset="000455B0">
FFFF0334
</Location>
<Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="00116BD8"><!--Mimic functionality-->
FFFF0234
</Location>
<Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="113980"><!--Item Throw range-->
     ffff0334
</Location>
<Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="116b50"><!-- MP Usage-->
</Location>
<Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="127f4c"><!--Ability data setting-->
</Location>
<Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="11bf64"><!--Mimic Ability storing-->
</Location>
<Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="DA84c"><!--Spell Quote-->
</Location>
</Patch>

Interesting. Even at a glance with my code-inept self, this looks pretty much like what FFMaster said he was working on with regards to Mime for 1.39 ARENA before he disappeared in the Australian aether. Did he work on this with you or vice versa? Or was this just something you looked into independently in the past year?

Regardless, I can see how this is would be useful, though I'd personally rather replace Mime myself if so possible, at least at this point. The lack of 100% Mimic really bugs me and this looks doesn't make so you can give Mime's space a Primary with actual abilities in it.

(Hmm...I wonder if you could get passed that with Blue Magic triggers....)

As far as clarification with the actual code goes, I'm guessing that this means that Mimes can equip Secondaries that they won't themselves Mimic if they're using that Secondary, correct? Also, by "perfectly normal", I'm guessing this means that they could now use any equipment you designate for them to use in FFTPatcher, correct? At the very least, a glance, this seems like it probably solves the portrait issue that FFMaster was having with making Goblin portraits come up...correct?

I also present the following:

<Patch name="Calculator/Math skill normalization">
<Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="125ff4"><!--Spells get reflected-->
</Location>
<Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="DA844"><!--Spell Quote-->
</Location>
<Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="115F74"><!--Removed forced slowdown-->
</Location>
</Patch>

Now these don't cover ALL the bases, but whatever else is missing from these normalizations can be found and fixed

The formula thing is doable, somebody would just need to do it.

I see. I suspected as much about the formula thing, but it's good to have clarification.

Speaking of which, I'm...not sure this does what I think it does even though it's the shortest code of the three. I mean, at a glance, by "normalization", it looks like it gets rid of both the ignore Reflect hard-coding and the forced slowdown issue of Math Skill as well adding Spell Quotes back in. However, is that...it? I don't mean to sound ungrateful; I just want to be sure.

At present, this would indeed be useful, if only for making it easier to balance broken-ass Math Skill without having to get rid of it for those who want to. It's just...one would still have to make sure the unit had already learned at least Math Skill-compatible spell to use it with a set of parameters, correct? It would seem that the independent skill thing I was getting at, mostly for the sake of Blue Magic, would make just have to take a customized formula then. I'm assuming that even with this normalization you would still have to have a) the Action Menu for whatever set uses this switched to Arithmeticks and b) the skills in question available across all parameters in question.

With regards clarifying to that second bit, what I mean is that if I have all the normal parameters still around, then I couldn't keep the spell Death confined to Level and 5, correct? If kept all parameters, then even with this normalization, Death would still be available to other parameters, such as CT and 4, correct?

Regardless, I preemptively apologize for making you regret helping by typing all of this nagging.

Xifanie

Added 3 of my own proposals, again :v

• Soldier Office Upgrade

• Treasure Box Upgrade

• Treasure Hunter and Jewel Hunter support abilities

I guess all of The Dammit's suggestions are already covered?
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

The Damned

September 06, 2014, 06:06:22 pm #12 Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 07:33:05 pm by The Damned
(Yes, for the most part, it seems like all of my proposals are done for now even though Choto doesn't appear to have time to clarify things unfortunately.)

Even so, it would still be nice to have someone eventually look into Mime and just why it's screwing up like that besides it obviously being a fault in Square's coding. I'm not going to "force" or nag anyone to do it, though, especially since I'd be looking into it myself if I wasn't so utterly inept at coding and technology in general.

Similarly, I'm not going to ask anyone to make Math Skill-esque formulas since those are basically a patch-by-patch thing and I don't really have room to use them in any of the three patches I'm working on, at least presently. It might be useful for two more I've yet to start, but meh.

That said, if you want clarify the stat thing when you have the time, Xifanie, I would appreciate that.

Someone else might also want a flat, static recovery of MP like in FFT:A. That's not something I'm personally going to suggest or ask, however, as I've already said that I agreed with Toshiko along those lines. Thanks again for that particular hack, Pride.

With regards to your proposals, Xifanie, the Soldier Office one sounds the most promising in my opinion, especially with regards to monsters. I must admit my surprise that the Gil limit caps out at 9999, especially given how bloody expensive Square made bags, but I'm guessing Square never thought about having the units potentially wear anything but the weakest stuff. Given that the costs of the starter stuff is pretty paltry, it's not that surprising really. I do have to wonder how problematic it would be to fix the visuals of it to reflect anything that broke that Gil cap though. It might be more trouble than it's worth, at least in that regard.

The Treasure Box Upgrade also sounds interesting and potentially quite a bit fairer to monsters than Secret Hunt currently is, especially if anyone wanted to get rid of Secret Hunt. It would be somewhat tempting to bring back Treasure status if that worked out, especially since the percentage approach based on level seems the best way to do it.

I will admit, however, that when I initially read the opening lines of that proposal, I thought you were proposing a hack where you were able to select what equipment you wanted from humans rather than getting a random one. That too could be interesting, but who knows if they'd be compatible.

I will also admit that I'm not really feeling the Treasure Hunter and Crystal Hunter proposals. I can understand the niche and I could see how people might want them, but it just seems like it might be such a pain in the ass to flag the enemy to make sure it gets "doomed" to that status. Maybe it could be done ala Invite's flag or something that lasts invisibly for the rest of the match after it works. Still, that seems like it would a lot more hassle than it may be worth, especially when you consider the possibility of a unit getting killed by another unit with Treasure Hunter, getting revived, and then getting killed by a different unit with Crystal Hunter or vice versa.

Then again, I'm (still) not a coder, so what do I know. Shrug.

Speaking of coding ineptitude, I do have three more ASM hack proposals now that all four of those have already been answered--so quickly, at that--and that my terrible memory has been jogged a bit:

1. Monster-Gendered/Sexed Unit's Normal Attacks Can Add Status: For at least a few years, ever since starting (sluggish) work on Embargo, I've wondered something: Would it be possible to so that monsters--as in units with the Monster gender--can add (or cancel, I suppose) a status or statuses with their base attack without having to use up an active ability space? For example, making it possible so that Queklain/Cuchuulain (always) inflicted Poison with his physical attack or so that Altima/Ultima, as payback for Square's oversight in vanilla, had a chance of inflicting Don't Act/Disable when attacking.

I figure it can maybe work so long as a) said statuses corresponded with an existent Inflict Status space, especially since there are a bunch of those left over after consolidation, and b) statuses triggered on attack were tied both to the Monster "gender" & the specific class rather than the type of monster. I think it would also be better if, provided its workable at all, the Inflict Status chance is 100% unless Separate is used since Separate rather decreases chances too much otherwise since it quarters chances. (Though that could maybe a changed with a separate hack....) [Exercising EDIT: On second thought, perhaps it would be best if it was just the "normal" hit rate for status as they are on weapon strikes, which is 20%. Shrug. I just figured it would be better to be able to work downwards, especially if someone did want a monster or two to have 100% status.]

If it can work, then it would be a lot more ideal than having monsters either have no status on their regular attack--not that they have to even with this--or being forced to use valuable active ability space just for a pseudo-normal attack. Granted, this likely wouldn't be compatible with anyone who wanted to keep generic monsters on their own separate "three ability + Monster Skill" table, but beyond that this would greatly being able to vary them without "wasting" space. I also doubt that I'm the only one who wants this particular hack unlike a lot of things I could suggest otherwise, which is why I'm suggesting this now.

2. Broadening Finger Guard: This request, however, is a lot more self-serving given it's what I "want" to do with Finger Guard in at least Embargo, at least theoretically. While not quite as useless as Gilgame Heart, we'd all be lying if we said we thought Finger Guard was all that useful as it is now. Given that Arrow Guard has long since been modified to be able to block bullets and Blade Grasp has long since modified to be able to block less than it did, among other things, I've wondered for a couple of years: Would making Finger Guard react more to formulas really be that difficult? Or have people just tended to ignore improving Finger Guard because it's formula related and those can vary so much from patch to patch?

Making it so that Finger Guard reacted to more than just the formula Talk Skill uses seems like it would be useful, but maybe that's just me. Speaking of alternatives, perhaps it would best to just see if you could fold Finger Guard into Maintenance (or vice versa) since Finger Guard's basically a Support anyway sort of like Projectile Guard and Abandon. Shrug.

3. Making it possible for so that the Undead can dodge negative healing OR so that elemental absorption can't be dodged: Rather self-explanatory since I can't think of a more concise, "catchier" title. It's always kind of nagged me that the Undead don't have any chance of dodging healing even if Undead status is supposed to be a negative status; then again, so is Berserk with the way the A.I. treats.... I guess it just seemed extra obnoxious due to Item being Item & already unavoidable even on offense--another hack proposal itself--and the aforementioned elemental absorption being an instance of dodging something that would heal you just because it would normally damage you. I vaguely know that part of the "weirdness" for not being able to dodge healing is built into formula 7, though I suppose that's also its own request....

Regardless, I put these as an "or" proposal because they unfortunately seem mutually exclusive and this is probably tough as it is. I suppose you could try to have the fix for the former lie solely within anything that causes Undead Reversal, but that itself seems to vary from formula-to-formula. Shrug again.

(P.S. Apologies, as I haven't proofread this since I'm in a bit of hurry, but I'll proofread it when I'm back from my walk.)

Exercising EDIT: Okay, I'm back and I think I've fixed all typos, though now I'm wondering if I should format these like Xifanie has. Too lazy to do that right now, unfortunately.

Xifanie

I want to point out that this topic is not meant for personal ASM requests. It's made for proposals: Hacks that could be implemented in most, if not all mods.

Also, think of the effort vs benefit of creating those hacks. I don't see those as worth the trouble for the little customization/modification earned.

Choto

TheDamned, your posts make my eyes bleed. SO MUCH TEXT

QuoteFor the sake of clarification with regards to this, are the statuses that have CTs that can be switched with Wall only the ones that are listed? Or can we also switch any status space that exists--save for Wall itself obviously--so long as we have the appropriate hex designation for it?

Idk, this is RFH's hack. I'd have to take a deeper look into it to see. For now it is what it is but like i said it really should be expanded on and included in the workbook.

It only affects the CT, not the order or anything else as far as I know. Then again it's probably never been tested.

QuoteOr was this just something you looked into independently in the past year?

Somebody else made the vast majority of it.. I think FDC. I added other things that I ran into while hacking for JoT5 and independently.

In regards to Math skill, yes it only does those 3 things. It is meant to be used with the Generic Skillset Fix to make Math skill function like a normal skillset (like punch art or black magic).

Now Xifanie's proposals:
Soldier Office Upgrade - I'm all for this. I think I know the routine to modify.
Treasure Box Upgrade - probably could be done if the right routine was found
Treasure Hunter and Jewel Hunter support abilities - These could be done pretty simply. A table of bytes for each unit could set wether they were killed by any units with those abilities. Then setting those bytes could probably be done in the pre-formula routine.

Then back to TheDamned

Monster-Gendered/Sexed Unit's Normal Attacks Can Add Status: probably doable. If you give a monster job a normal skillset, they will gain an automatic "Attack" ability. So you could then make a hack that looked at what kind of monster is using the Attack ability and modify the inflict status.

Broadening Finger Guard:
<Patch name="Finger Guard blocks XX Formulas">
<Description>
Can block up to 4 formulas. If using less, set unused slots as copies of one that it does block. So to block only formula 2a, set them to 2a, 2a, 2a, 2a.
</Description>
<Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="121334">
</Location>
<Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="121344">
</Location>
<Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="124940">
C4470508
</Location>
<Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="EAf10">
E8FFBD27
1400BFAF
1980013C
E5382390
<Variable name="Formula 1" file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="EAF20" default = "26"/>
<Variable name="Formula 2" file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="EAF21" default = "27"/>
<Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="EAF22">
013C
</Location>
<Variable name="Formula 3" file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="EAF24" default = "28"/>
<Variable name="Formula 4" file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="EAF25" default = "29"/>
<Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="EAF26">
FF002230
020A0100
FCFF2014
2A000134
D6470508
BE20060C
1400BF8F
1800BD27
1980023C
522E0608
902D428C
</Location>
</Location>
</Patch>

also for undead units, this hack comes with FFTPatcher these days:
Undead units receive 0 damage from all healing ability
BATTLE.BIN
0x120378 change 00000000 to 040060A4

Finally, what Xif says is right. ALL proposals and hacks are subject to not only effort vs reward, but effort vs. priority.

The Damned

(My apologies for both vomiting all that text & hurting your eyes, Choto, and possibly somehow giving the impression that I wasn't already aware this was meant to be solely for universal hacks, Xifanie.)

I mean, the latter is the chief reason beyond politeness why I haven't been asking for any formulas since, as I said above, formulas tend to vary greatly from patch to patch. As it was, I was rather hesitant to ask for the Finger Guard "fix" due to it obviously involving formulas. At the same time, I wasn't going to pretend that my reason for asking wasn't primarily motivated by selfishness even though as I pointed out it's not like anyone thinks the current, still-vanilla version of Finger Guard is actually worthwhile.

Speaking of which, thank you for such a broad hack related to that, Choto. That's far more than I was expecting, especially so soon (after making your eyes bleed).

At present, I can't think of anything else that might actually be worthwhile on a (nigh) universal level beyond the "obvious" usual suspects like attempting to make Item universal and possibly finite in capacity or making stuff like Throw and Jump able to function as abilities within skill sets not solely dedicated to them. So you're spared more essays masquerading as posts, at least related to that.

I'm glad to hear/see that I was wrong about the Treasure Hunter and Crystal Hunter Supports potentially being quite tedious even if I'm unlikely to personally use them regardless. I'm sure other people would be excited about them. It's also good to hear/see that the Monster Status Normal Attack hack might actually be possible for pretty much the reasons I thought would; I was aware of the regular Jobs giving even generic monsters normal attacks, though I figure you're just generally explaining that for the benefit of others, Choto.

I'm admittedly not sure if I'll use the particular Undead hack since I do want Undead unit to take some damage from healing--I just want them to have the chance to dodge it. Still, it's far more of a start than I previously had. The same goes for basically just having to test out Rfh's Wall CT with respect to Berserk, though that's fine. As for the other information, thanks for the clarification.

My thanks to you both as well as Pride.

Xifanie

September 07, 2014, 07:13:16 am #16 Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 07:25:35 am by Xifanie
So, I've been messing around with it, and turns out increasing the number of digits in a graphic isn't that hard.
Increased the Soldier Office Price from 4 to 8 digits, and War Funds from 8 to 9 digits... on top of moving the graphics around.

What I was thinking for the price, would be:

Each job and monster has a different starting price, for example:

• Squire/Chemist: 1000gil

• Knight: 3000gil

• Monk: 10000gil

• Ninja: 60000gil

• Goblin: 3000gil

• Chocobo: 10000gil

• Tiamat: 300000gil

You can choose the price you want to pay beforehand, and once you select the option, it will generate a unit with better level/stats/brave/faith/JP the more you are willing to spend. You would simply adjust the price using L2 to decrease and R2 to increase.

Different Towns could have different job/monsters available
Gariland Magic City: Priest, Wizard, Time Mage, Oracle
Igros Castle: Knight, Lancer
Dorter Trade City: Squire, Chemist, Thief, Archer
Warjilis Trade City: Cockatrices, Squids

I'd really like some input on this.

3lric

I think that idea is awesome and I want to use it :D

Angel

Just had a brainpop when I realized that's similar to how Disgaea works, re: monetary cost being proportional to stats. I'd have never considered it reasonable to implement, so I am impressed. My impressive sweetheart ♥
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

The Damned

(Indeed, quite impressive once again, Xifanie.)

It's rather difficult to find any downside as far as feedback goes. The only questions I can think of related to this would be these:

1. Is there a way to make an inherent cap to the stats you can buy in the Soldier Office? Or could you theoretically buy a max level regardless of your own level to as long as you've got the Gil to spend?

2. Do the price for classes have to be set to default to ones you're providing there universally? Or were you merely giving an example set of prices for classes based off vanilla usefulness for particular units? ...Actually, a better question with regards to this would be: Are those prices you listed, for the human units at least, directly costed for the amount of Job Levels needed to unlock them, i.e. the more complex the job, the more expensive it automatically is regardless of actual worth?

3. Does Zodiac sign factor into the cost? Or is that still randomly generated? I can't imagine there would be easy to price it anyway given most unit's Zodiacs are randomly generated save for special characters.

4. Finally, is there anyway to (easily) indicate what "soldiers" might be available at which Soldier Office or do we essentially have to guess and explore as with (changes to) Item Inventory? I'm perfectly fine either; just asking for the sake of clarity.

Either way, this is looks quite good. I'm glad I was also wrong about the display issue potentially being a pain in the ass. Great job.