• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 06:09:14 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Spam / General Forum Merge

Started by Archael, February 13, 2009, 07:34:05 pm

Archael

April 25, 2009, 07:27:48 pm #40 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
bump

Zodiac read!

Xifanie

April 25, 2009, 08:32:29 pm #41 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
This is BS.

The spam forum was created so that you don't have to hold back, while the General forum is for anything still serious not directly related to FFT.

If I merge spam into general and people post off-topic, offensive stuff that kills a serious topic, I'd have to moderate and that would kill the whole purpose of the spam forum's existence. If some spam topics from general weren't moved, it's just me being lazy; not that I accept their presence.

So the difference between spam and general? spam isn't moderated and isn't serious at all.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Archael

April 28, 2009, 09:36:53 pm #42 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Zodiac"This is BS.

The spam forum was created so that you don't have to hold back, while the General forum is for anything still serious not directly related to FFT.

If I merge spam into general and people post off-topic, offensive stuff that kills a serious topic, I'd have to moderate and that would kill the whole purpose of the spam forum's existence. If some spam topics from general weren't moved, it's just me being lazy; not that I accept their presence.

So the difference between spam and general? spam isn't moderated and isn't serious at all.

I understand

but why not just merge them and have the merged forum be un-moderated?

people spam in "Serious" general topics, and you can't tell me any serious moderation goes on in general.. general is never moderated :\

neither Spam or General are moderated, because they are both off topic lol

DarthPaul

April 28, 2009, 09:56:04 pm #43 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
General topics are moved to spam all the time.

Isn't that a form of moderation?
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Archael

April 28, 2009, 10:07:57 pm #44 Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 10:25:19 pm by Archael
Quote from: "darthpaul"General topics are moved to spam all the time.

Isn't that a form of moderation?
it is

it's also a form of acknowledging that the 2 forums function exactly the same, since people post interchangeable topics ALL the time in both of them

the very fact that those topics need to be moved shows how similar the two forums are

like I said before they are both off topic forums, and people use them that way

it doesn't make much sense to have them separate; like we have them now:

1) "Off Topic *Serious Topics only*" (General)

2) and "Off Topic Jokes" (Spam)

it'd be easier to just have ONE "Off Topic forum" which is un-moderated (DOESNT RAISE POST COUNT) and then no more threads would have to be moved between two forums which are virtually the same in function

Like this:

- OFF TOPIC FORUM!

You can pick whatever name you want.

let Serious Off Topics and Joke Off Topics be on the same forum... I don't see the point in trying to separate them just because of what some deem to be "Serious" and what some deem to be "Spam", because those labels are very debatable and completely based on opinion... however General / Spam Forum topics being OFF TOPIC to FFT and FFT Hacking is something we can all agree on, AFAIK

PX_Timefordeath

April 28, 2009, 10:22:10 pm #45 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by PX_Timefordeath
I support this proposition with my 336 posts!

DarthPaul

April 28, 2009, 10:26:45 pm #46 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Quoteit's also a form of acknowledging that the 2 forums function exactly the same, since people post interchangeable topics ALL the time in both of them

I fail to see the point here. If they are interchangeable why have we never seen spam moved to general.

They are not interchangeable it is just that spam happens to find it's way into general. Just like it finds it's way into all of the others sections.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Archael

April 28, 2009, 10:37:08 pm #47 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "darthpaul"
Quoteit's also a form of acknowledging that the 2 forums function exactly the same, since people post interchangeable topics ALL the time in both of them

I fail to see the point here. If they are interchangeable why have we never seen spam moved to general.

Because once a topic is in "Spam" it gains a label of being a joke topic not to be taken seriously, and no topics are moved from "Spam" to "General" because "General" is seen as a container for slightly more serious off-topic topics. For this same reason no "Spam" topics are moved to other forums.

My reason for the merge is that "General" contains topics which are ALSO not to be taken seriously, because they are just as off-topic as the ones in "Spam".

QuoteThey are not interchangeable it is just that spam happens to find it's way into general. Just like it finds it's way into all of the others sections.

You can open the General forum and find many topics that could fit just as well in Spam. See the examples I provided earlier. They are very interchangeable. There's no clear definition of what a "General" and "Spam" topic has difference-wise, just that Spam is un-moderated and General is.

Care to reply to my other points which I wrote in my previous post, or do you agree with them?

DarthPaul

April 28, 2009, 10:41:47 pm #48 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
How should I reply to them your post was just the same package over and over again with a different wrapping each time you presented it.

Archael

April 28, 2009, 10:44:07 pm #49 Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 10:49:05 pm by Archael
Quote from: "darthpaul"How should I reply to them your post was just the same package over and over again with a different wrapping each time you presented it.

Yeah, I'm  trying to get people to understand my reasons for suggesting merge.

You say it like it's a bad thing to express my ideas and try to provide varied reasoning to support them...

Anyway, if you're not going to reply to the other points I bring up, I'm going to assume you agree with them.

I thought the reason you were posting here (and the reason I'm replying to you) was because you are against the idea of a merger, but I guess I was wrong.

DarthPaul

April 28, 2009, 10:48:34 pm #50 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
You should express your ideas, but as I said your expressing a few ideas multiple times with different wording each time.

Multiple ideas that does not make. What you are trying to say is the version of the ideas I have not contested I agree with. Which with the way your argument is heading would mean I agree with everything you stated which I do not.

I only agree that Spam and General have similar contexts but different way of going about it.

Should they be merged, no. Why?

Quote from: "Zodiac"The spam forum was created so that you don't have to hold back, while the General forum is for anything still serious not directly related to FFT.

Archael

April 28, 2009, 10:50:13 pm #51 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "darthpaul"Should they be merged, no. Why?
Quote from: "Zodiac"The spam forum was created so that you don't have to hold back, while the General forum is for anything still serious not directly related to FFT.

You don't have to hold back in General forum. The only reason you'd have to hold back anything in General is because of the sheerest coincidence that Spam is un-moderated and General is. That's a shitty reason IMO. It serves the exact same purpose as Spam does.

Oh, so the General Forum is for anything "STILL NOT SERIOUS" but not directly related to FFT?

Take a look at this:

The General Forum: IE SPAM V2.0

Still not serious indeed! Like I said, General is just another Off Topic Forum.

DarthPaul

April 28, 2009, 10:59:34 pm #52 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Ummm Arch think on this one for a minute.

The topic of this forum is FFT right? Right, I thought so.

General is for anything not related to FFT right? *Chirp*

In this regard General will always be off topic. Why? Because there is a place for all of the other questions that a weary traveler might have.

On that note Spam is not moderated because it is meant to be crazy.

If something in General becomes crazy guess what? It is moved to spam.

Archael

April 28, 2009, 11:05:00 pm #53 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
I understand that, and what you are bringing up is exactly what I'm trying to say.

General and Spam are BOTH and will always be Off Topic forums. They are so similar that people continiously POST SPAM in the General forum, and many topics in Spam could pass for General Topics, and vice versa!!

Why have two forums whose function is THE SAME? (OFF TOPIC) We already have plenty of forums, just merge them and reduce the number by 1.

I already mentioned why people post in spam and general as they do, and it's all in the name.

What you are telling me serves to better prove my point that they should be merged, DP, not that they shouldn't...

Kokojo

April 28, 2009, 11:23:35 pm #54 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kokojo
no, there is still, whatever you say, a big difference between the two. Spammers in general section should get a 1 day ban and thats it.
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

Archael

April 28, 2009, 11:27:14 pm #55 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Kokojo"no, there is still, whatever you say, a big difference between the two.

The differences are in name and moderation. Besides that, they are the same off-topic forum.

Proof: (Screenie of General's 1st page as of today)

Xifanie

April 28, 2009, 11:43:25 pm #56 Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 11:43:46 pm by Xifanie
Spam is just off-topic? that's new.

spam is for FFT stuff too.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Kokojo

April 28, 2009, 11:43:45 pm #57 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kokojo
This dosen't bring up your point at all. Compare it to just-posting topics like Pearls of the chat, forum games like the room, and ect.

Questions are asked in General, while spam as the Purpose of nothing serious, who cares what happen there.

100$ if someone brutally spams general, he won't be well seen.

General : Act like humans.
Spam : Act like freaks.
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

Kourama

April 28, 2009, 11:46:38 pm #58 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kourama
I think the issue is that there are some topics in spam that should be in general, which seems to seamlessly make the two sections look alike.

- less cpu time
- Xboxlive gamertags
- Calling out Mr. BloodyBlade
- My hard drive died

All should probably be in general, instead of spam because of the content and I'm sure there are more topics in spam that should be in general. Where as in general,

- I know everyone can do it, but I did it to laugh a bit
- everything now makes sense
- I now have... (turns into a "spam" topic because of replies)

should probably be in spam.

I can see the confusion and why this topic should be made but there are obvious topics that definitely don't deserve to be in spam i.e. Our friend Rain4h and some that definitely do like i.e. Important announcement concerning spam.

Regardless it doesn't make that much of a difference to me as I don't post nearly as much as most active members here, but I felt this topic needed an extra perspective. The best solution, I think, would be more active moderation of the General Forum and more responsibility with posts/replies in that section which the topic "I now have..." clearly shows.

Archael

April 28, 2009, 11:49:26 pm #59 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Zodiac"Spam is just off-topic? that's new.

spam is for FFT stuff too.

General is Off Topic too..

General can be for FFT stuff too, I'm sure it's had FFT related topics in there, just like spam has

Quote from: "Kokojo"General : Act like humans.
Spam : Act like freaks.

Don't you mean:

General: Off Topic

Spam: Off Topic with no moderation and no post count?