• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Spam / General Forum Merge

Started by Archael, February 13, 2009, 07:34:05 pm

Vanya

May 19, 2009, 02:42:06 pm #120 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
If I had the time to do it I'd volunteer to moderate General myself.
As is, this constant arguing over the pros and cons of this merger is wasting way more space than a single link to a separate group of posts ever could.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Archael

May 19, 2009, 02:45:45 pm #121 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
QuoteI didn't miss anything, but the incessant reiteration of previous belligerency is enough to make one wonder if this might be a troll on your part.
I'm not trying to be belligerent, but you are forcing me to re-state things which have already been brought up in this thread, and are pretty obvious, such as my entire previous post. If you seriously think I made this topic to try and troll you or anyone else you are not only mistaken, but seems to suggest that you came into this topic with no intention of agreeing or disagreeing with the idea itself, just to post like you always do for posting's sake.

I already explained to you why you're wrong. Just because I proved that not wanting the merger because of ideological reasons is wrong doesn't mean I'm trolling. In this topic I am seriously putting forth an idea that I think will improve the site.

Quoteincessant reiteration of previous belligerency is LOL WAT
Using big words won't make the pwning you got in my previous post any less severe, DP. Next time you try to argue with an idea I am submitting strictly to help improve the site, be prepared to argue with something besides blank posting like you always do.

QuoteFollow the advice from the admin okay. He has proven himself to be wise enough so I think he knows what is best for his forum. If he didn't I think he would be intelligent enough to hand the duties to someone else. And he has not done that.
I'm not saying I won't accept whatever decision Zodiac chooses to go with, I think I have shown that I have no problems with his decisions in the past. I'm not saying that Zodiac isn't wise, or that he isn't going to end up doing what he wants to do. I am not saying Zodiac is not intelligent. I don't even know where you get all of this from, or how it's related.

I am not even sure why you are bringing all of this up, it has nothing to do with this topic or the idea I'm trying to submit to improve the site.

You didn't even respond to anything I said in my previous post, so please stop spamming my topic.

Chodimus-Maximus

May 19, 2009, 02:50:56 pm #122 Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 04:17:32 pm by Chodimus-Maximus
I have shit for credibility, but I agree with Arch. I don't see how merging will negatively impact the forum. If people don't want shitty spam posts in serious topics, get a moderator like most good forums do.

Smitson

May 19, 2009, 07:57:45 pm #123 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smitson
Removing the post count from general isn't a horrible idea. But who really cares about post count? Is it that big a deal? But the forum isn't overly cluttered. Just because their sub forums doesn't mean their similar.

Really there's 3 options here
1. Merge General & Spam
2. Keep everything the same
3. Give General a mod

One of your main arguements for merging is  neither of them directly relate to hacking so therefor they're the same. General is has some good quality posts, your telling me you want the stuff like the CE discussion mixed in with bullshit posts yelling penis? People try to stay away from spam, mixing it in with general will only fuck over general. Give general a mod so it gets the more serious feel and spam can stay the way it is. So like i've already stated, people who don't want to see that bullshit can aviod it.

DarthPaul

May 19, 2009, 08:22:23 pm #124 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
QuoteUsing big words won't make the pwning you got in my previous post any less severe, DP. Next time you try to argue with an idea I am submitting strictly to help improve the site, be prepared to argue with something besides blank posting like you always do.

I have to give it too you. You have set a new level of posts that amount to pure BS. The words you are saying that are "big" are some of the simplest words in the English language. If you want big words say so and I'll bust out the vocab. Also "pwning"....you didn't pwn me, and I don't know why you think that.

So I think you are mentioning these "blank posts" to piss me off as I have only made posts that I find necessary. So (and I say this with respect for the Voldemort I used to know and the ideas that made 1.3) please do us a favor and FUCK OFF. Ever since the MagiTek/Jukain incidences you have become a prick. All that ever comes out of you is self righteous bullshit, and you need to rethink your attitude towards of people for Christ's sakes. You used to be fun to argument with, now you are just getting personal for no god damn reason.

EDIT: I wasn't trolling until now, but lets face it I don't give a damn what you think anymore.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Archael

May 20, 2009, 01:07:22 am #125 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
I'm not getting personal, I am seriously saying that you started arguing the merger idea with no worthwhile ones of your own.

I am not mentioning blank posting to piss you off, I am mentioning blank posting because you are doing it in this thread.

And yes, your argument did get pwned, you still have not yet replied to my points here:
Quote from: "Voldemort"
QuoteI have a problem with this "proof". The problem is simply that the intended purpose of the section is what is under fire.
The intended purpose of the section is what you are using to argue that they should not be merged.
Seriously, are you trolling?
QuoteThe fact that the actual function does not fit the ideal is a matter of Zodiac not bothering to moderate as often as he should (not his fault I just assume he is busy, as are we all). You can't say "well let's scrap it" because something is going wrong.
No, but I can say "let's improve it" because something is going wrong, and it is. Merging them is not scrapping anything, you'll still have your serious topics and your joke topics. They will just be in the same forum, the off topic forum, where they belong.
QuoteThis is a horrible example as you have handed me some ammo for my argument.
The purpose of the example flew right by you I'm guessing, especially if you think it gives you "ammo" for anything.
QuoteWhat you are suggesting would be like making political parties merge, which does not happen because the ideals brought to the table by each faction are radical compared to the other faction.
Nope, because each forum doesn't represent a unique political party. The example was to try and explain how some things that work in principle might not do so in practice, such as having 2 off topic forums when only 1 is needed.
If you're going to try and use an example as "ammo", make sure you understand it properly, and not just twist it to construct what you think comes close to a semblance of a rebuttal.
[/size]

Instead of responding to my points, you went: "o lol, you are being belligerent! listen to what zodiac said, he is the admin!".

Repeating it here: if you had nothing worthwhile to say about the idea besides some shitty argument, do not continue to spam my topic. Repeat: This isn't me trying to make it personal, this is actually what I think regarding you posting in this topic.

QuoteI have to give it too you. You have set a new level of posts that amount to pure BS. The words you are saying that are "big" are some of the simplest words in the English language. If you want big words say so and I'll bust out the vocab. Also "pwning"....you didn't pwn me, and I don't know why you think that.

When I said "big words" I meant "specific words thrown out there that do not add anything to whatever the fuck it is you're trying to say", which is a de-railing of the original argument into "OMG YOU ARE BELIGERENT CUZ I CANNOT COUNTER YOUR POINTS!". This is why you got pwned, the points I quoted above you never replied to, and instead decided to take the "he's being belligerent, I can't argue with this guy... too belligerent over the internet!" route.

When you argue at someone only to call them "belligerent, listen to the admin, okay?" on their own thread, it speaks volumes about your original intent (or lack thereof) to try and improve or help the suggestion being presented.

This is where it becomes painfully obvious that you were just blank posting here, posting for posting's sake, or just for argument's sake. You opted out of the actual argument about the idea long ago to instead try to make yourself seem less wrong by calling me belligerent, and telling me than I'm not listening to Zodiac, therefor my idea must be wrong.

Quoteplease do us a favor and FUCK OFF.

Yeah, you got owned. Merging is a good idea despite everything against it anyone has said on this thread. Sorry bro.

Aquilae

May 20, 2009, 07:17:06 am #126 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Aquilae
Both General and Spam are off-topic but that does not mean they should be merged. Its like mixing an insoluble solid into water, all you get is a cloudy mess, a confusing mix of topics. Even when it has settled it'd still be very tedious to find what you want. Just stop people from posting crap in General.
:gay:

Archael

May 20, 2009, 10:49:05 am #127 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Aquilae"all you get is a cloudy mess, a confusing mix of topics. Even when it has settled it'd still be very tedious to find what you want.

you talk like Spam or General contained important topics that must be kept organized or else they won't function

why people treat spam and general topics with the same seriousness as project threads is beyond me

in fact, spam is probably as big or bigger than the biggest project forum, merge it with general, and it's surely bigger

I don't care of Spam + General merge end up being "confusing" in any way, it's all off topic banter, it doesn't need to be organized

maybe it'll deter those members who exist on this site only on spam / general threads, like we needed more of them

Vanya

May 20, 2009, 05:03:00 pm #128 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
You still haven't come up with any concrete reasons to merge.
You just keep repeating your opinion that if both kinds of topics are "off" they should be in one forum to save what amounts to a line of text. You also keep reasoning that the presence of some spam in general and some general in spam is proof that they are the same. Meanwhile, you flippantly disregard the intent of the majority of posters or the lack of rules in either forum.

Just because there are some crows among a flock ravens, and some ravens among a flock of crows doesn't make them all the same species.
(That's a much better analogy.)

BTW. No offense, but if you have to point out that you pwned someone then you didn't pwn anyone.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Smitson

May 20, 2009, 05:13:07 pm #129 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smitson
Quote from: "Voldemort"
Quote from: "Aquilae"all you get is a cloudy mess, a confusing mix of topics. Even when it has settled it'd still be very tedious to find what you want.

you talk like Spam or General contained important topics that must be kept organized or else they won't function

why people treat spam and general topics with the same seriousness as project threads is beyond me

in fact, spam is probably as big or bigger than the biggest project forum, merge it with general, and it's surely bigger

I don't care of Spam + General merge end up being "confusing" in any way, it's all off topic banter, it doesn't need to be organized

maybe it'll deter those members who exist on this site only on spam / general threads, like we needed more of them

Alright I get where your coming from now. You think that general is just some crap useless section. Just because it's off topic, doesn't mean its complete shit. General has some good solid discussion in it.

Vanya

May 20, 2009, 05:23:29 pm #130 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
...and spam -REALLY- doesn't.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Oblivion

May 20, 2009, 05:29:18 pm #131 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ehrgeiz20
Maybe we should just let Arch win...

Just a suggestion.
"A little sport before dying, dear boy?"

Zozma

May 20, 2009, 05:35:17 pm #132 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
no you shouldnt. its the same thing with customers at my job. if they complain enough, even if they are wrong, they get their way. fuck that
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Kaijyuu

May 20, 2009, 05:59:11 pm #133 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
Why are we arguing about something that essentially comes down to a few additional pixels being displayed on the main forum page?

If zodiac wants them split, so be it. Even if I or anyone else disagrees, it's not worth the debate. It's pretty damn inconsequential either way.
  • Modding version: PSX

Archael

May 21, 2009, 12:10:56 am #134 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Vanya"...and spam -REALLY- doesn't.
Are you suggesting getting rid of Spam?

QuoteYou still haven't come up with any concrete reasons to merge.
1) Both forums serve the same purpose, because:
2) People don't use both forums in the way they were meant to be used
3) Either forum is a waste of space when 1 could do the job of both
4) FFH would do better with less forums dedicated to off topic while the # of project forums increases

Do you really think those are bad reasons to merge?

Quoteno you shouldnt. its the same thing with customers at my job. if they complain enough, even if they are wrong, they get their way. fuck that
I am not in favor of anyone agreeing with me just to get me to shut up, that's what this thread is for

I obviously don't think this idea is a bad one or that it's "wrong", and I am sure others agree, and I am not some customer at your job bitching about something. I already said I genuinely think this is a suggestion to improve FFH!

QuoteYou think that general is just some crap useless section. Just because it's off topic, doesn't mean its complete shit. General has some good solid discussion in it.
No. I think that having BOTH Spam AND General leaves us with 1 extra useless section. If I had to pick, I'd get rid of Spam and keep General, obviously. Then all true Spam topics would have to be made civil with actual interesting content worth reading so they'd fit in General.

QuoteBTW. No offense, but if you have to point out that you pwned someone then you didn't pwn anyone.
None taken. I usually don't point that out, but his argument was really that bad.

QuoteYou just keep repeating your opinion... You also keep reasoning that...
Yes, because I keep presenting good reasons like the ones I just gave you and people dismiss them with cherry picking, non-related comments, or just general disregard for the fact that people DO NOT use these 2 forums as they were meant to be used, as well as the fact that they are indeed 2 OFF TOPIC forums. That is not my opinion, that is what they are.

Dokurider

May 21, 2009, 10:31:01 am #135 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dokurider
QuoteThen all true Spam topics would have to be made civil with actual interesting content worth reading so they'd fit in General.

In other words, you want Spam to become General.

Archael

May 21, 2009, 11:53:23 am #136 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Dokurider"
QuoteThen all true Spam topics would have to be made civil with actual interesting content worth reading so they'd fit in General.

In other words, you want Spam to become General.

No. Read the entire paragraph:

QuoteYou think that general is just some crap useless section. Just because it's off topic, doesn't mean its complete shit. General has some good solid discussion in it.
Voldemort's Reply:
No. I think that having BOTH Spam AND General leaves us with 1 extra useless section.
(Rhetorical example which you obviously missed): If I had to pick, I'd get rid of Spam and keep General, obviously. Then all true Spam topics would have to be made civil with actual interesting content worth reading so they'd fit in General.

I was giving an example based on the idea I was quoting.

I want Spam and General to become THE SAME OFF TOPIC FORUM. I want to merge them, not delete one or the other. Read topic title bro!

Dokurider

May 21, 2009, 03:52:14 pm #137 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dokurider
With this merge, Spam will become General or rather, Spam will be no more, that's what I meant.

I think this whole issue is caused by an even deeper issue: the lack of formal rules. If there is an issue here in the first place (there isn't).

Archael

May 21, 2009, 04:26:58 pm #138 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Dokurider"With this merge, Spam will become General or rather, Spam will be no more, that's what I meant.

That's still not what the merger idea is. Spam will still exist, because in the merged forum, you can make spam topics, because spam topics are just that, off topic random stuff, which is what the new forum would be for. Except the new forum would also happen to have off topic that is not so random and a bit more interesting (the off topics you guys think belong in general). That's basically it.

This idea is not Spam --> General or General --> Spam. It's just merging them both and keeping them both rule-free and moderation-free.

Whatever rules Zodiac wants to put in his forums is fine by me. This thread is NOT ABOUT discussing rules, just about suggesting why merging General and Spam into one is a good idea.

PX_Timefordeath

August 25, 2009, 04:01:05 am #139 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by PX_Timefordeath
I still support Voldemort with my 500 posts.