• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

ASM Hack Proposals (for modders and ASMers)

Started by Xifanie, August 14, 2014, 05:30:56 pm

Xifanie

That sounds fair enough.

Yes Blue team is player team.

Now, what I thought your hack crystallized units in battle, while disabling them for some time afterwards. I'm guessing there's just no crystallization then?

Yes, 0xFF for value 0xD0, like I described, what assigns "Temp Leaving"/"Missing"
0x03 to 0xFF will also display "Missing" so for your purposes I'm guessing you're planning to take one of those bytes. I'm reserving 0xFF for TLW NG+; If you didn't know, units in NG+ will be "missing" until you recruit them again.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Choto

ahhh right, I forgot about that. Ok, I can use a different value for it I think.

Yep so the idea is instead of inflicting crystal when they die, just set them to knocked out and unrevivable via code. The enemy team is where I was thinking of allowing crystallization, but I almost like it better as a different niche implementation. Like crystallizing attacks like you mentioned or other creative ways to introduce them and treasure boxes.

Choto

October 13, 2014, 07:56:07 am #102 Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 11:46:05 pm by Choto
Ok, I've slapped together an "injured" word in the font of the status text. I know the palette is 0x20 long and where it is located in Frame.bin. I know where there is free space in Unit.Bin to put it. My question is: Does anybody know how to properly insert this into the free space in Unit.Bin to preserve its palette and all?

In order to actually display it I'll have to find the code that decides the load locations of LeavingTemp and Missing, but right now I just want to get it inserted correctly.

Celdia

Interesting lowercase J. Could just do what I did and place it into UNIT.BIN manually with tilemolester. Hell, I'll do it for you if you show me where the free space you want it in is at. Tried to just replace Injured with it to get a look at it in-game but I have no idea where it thinks it's loading the word-image from. I'll attach my modified UNIT.BIN if you want to take a look at what I put in there [a few of the letters I changed what it looked like your shading was to match already existing letters] but when I tried to test it, it only showed the original Missing text. I just spent like 30 minutes fucking around with CDMage, pSXfin and TM [including learning how to actually use the debugger to set a unit to Missing status] trying to get it to work and I don't know what the problem is. Maybe you'll have better luck than me.
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Choto

October 14, 2014, 08:07:34 pm #104 Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 11:45:10 pm by Choto
Thanks mucho Celdia. Turns out that there are duplicates of the text in World.Bin. They even left me a bit of space for my injured word. Tilemolester editing worked like a charm.

This presents an interesting possibility - if the text in Unit.Bin is unused, we can use it for additional formation sprites. It would only be 2 large monsters or 4 small monsters/humans. We'll see what comes of it down the road but it's interesting to see so much stuff in these other files being duplicated in the main files.

Xifanie

You might want to make sure they're not used in stuff like shops, we never know.
i.e. When checking if items are equippable in regular shops/fitting room/soldier office rename...
They likely all use the same, but better safe than sorry.

Also, I know I'm being a bitch, but that "Injured" isn't properly aligned.

I think the extra space would be best used for monsters; we have quite a bit of unused human sprites, but only Ultima Demon and Elidibs I'm pretty sure when it comes to monsters.

I definitely want to see this hack happen. \o/
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

Choto

October 17, 2014, 10:10:01 pm #106 Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 11:45:44 pm by Choto
Update: found the code to:

-change the X/Y load location from World.bin, successfully loaded "injured" from the blank space
-change the X/Y stretch of the image.. it behaves strangely though
-change the offset of the word displayed on the formation screen (here's your alignment =)

So the formation screen is almost good to go, I set the death counters earlier so I think that works. Now I just have to set the amount of days they're out for and restore them when they're healed. We're moving along slowly but surely.

Speaking of which, a player could just bounce back and forth on two blue towns (even more easily with the smart encounters hack), so I'm trying to think of an alternate measure of time. Should they be unavailable for a certain number of battles? I think that would be more of a nuisance. (combined with the fact that while the unit is injured, you can't change their equipment ^_^)

nitwit

Quote from: Choto on October 17, 2014, 10:10:01 pmSpeaking of which, a player could just bounce back and forth on two blue towns (even more easily with the smart encounters hack), so I'm trying to think of an alternate measure of time. Should they be unavailable for a certain number of battles? I think that would be more of a nuisance. (combined with the fact that while the unit is injured, you can't change their equipment ^_^)

I don't understand why the equipment thing is a problem.  Other people can't use their stuff?

Why not change it to something which is already counted, like whatever is counted for the Brave Story menus.  Enemies killed?

Choto

Well if you equip badass equipment on a unit and then it gets injured, you won't have access to those items for however long I decide to make the timeout period.

Making it count something is trivial, it's more about what makes the most sense as a penalty.

nitwit

October 19, 2014, 12:31:29 am #109 Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 03:10:09 am by nitwit
Quote from: Choto on October 18, 2014, 06:27:40 pm
Well if you equip badass equipment on a unit and then it gets injured, you won't have access to those items for however long I decide to make the timeout period.

Isn't the point of an injury that you can't participate in battle?  Does this mean the person also doesn't travel with the party?  Why couldn't you access their equipment from the formation menu?

Quote from: Choto on October 18, 2014, 06:27:40 pmMaking it count something is trivial, it's more about what makes the most sense as a penalty.

Since Xifanie is messing about with the Soldier Office why not add an Inn functionality to pubs or bars or whatever they're called?  Have the character recover at an Inn and pick them up after a certain number of days.  Or you could pay for nursing and care from the innkeep to heal that person.

I can do one better though.  Injured person can't participate in battle.  To remove the injury visit a Bar and pay for bed rest.  With bed rest it will take about a month (pretty long) and during that time the person is gone just like they are on a mission.  Or you can pay for bed rest and nursing and they will only be gone for about a week at the most.

It's like a reverse mission.  Lose time, money, and JP.

If this is impossible then flame me, just throwing my two cents in.

The penalty for bed rest could be that the longer a person is out of battle the more experience, available/total JP, or perhaps even levels they lose.  This is a linear function of time spent at an Inn - nursing would reduce that time and reduce the experience and levels lost.

Angel

I like the resting at an inn idea. Have them be injured until you can visit a blue dot, and then they rest there for a few days (month is excessive). I'm not a fan of stat penalties, though.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Choto

Right now you can't change weapons, job, ability settings, etc... and it's more work to change that so, I'm going to rationalize that in their fragile state of mostly-dead you can't go stripping their armor off and by happenstance, their weapons either. I like it as an added penalty.

I like the idea of the inn thing, but there are two problems. 1 - it still doesn't change the fact that I could leave a unit at an inn, then hop between two non-battle inducing places and then just go pick him up with no penalty. 2 - once again it would be alot more work as I don't know how to add commands to the bar or soldier office and make the GUI behave accordingly offhand. I could try to figure it out but my time is mad crunched.

A pipe dream of mine (as it relates to an Inn) is to have HP/MP behave like it would in a normal RPG where you keep the same values that you left battle with. Then let the player be able to cast cure or use potions and ethers to heal up out of battle if they want to.... but..... eh. Idk how good that would be to have in FFT.

Xifanie

October 19, 2014, 08:37:56 am #112 Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 08:52:14 am by Xifanie
You could just make it like FF1, Where you can go revive your party members for a fee at the church, so there would always be a penalty. Cost would be based on the unit's level.

At this point, adding an option to a menu would be a piece of cake for me, and I could easily teach you how. The issue is what and where. Because ideally it would be somewhere with code that you can easily alter to move to your option.

Angel

I figured the fee was implied. But I like the idea of the cost being based on level, so it will always be an appropriate penalty.

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame

Vanya

The FF1 style revival thing would be cool.
Also, I'm a big fan of Choto's pipe dream.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Angel

Even Choto admitted his pipe dream is a bad idea in FFT. Because it is. (Sorry to derail...)

3lric

October 19, 2014, 12:40:07 pm #116 Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 05:00:24 pm by Elric
I'm in favor of the idea of having the revival done at a Hospital or something within certain towns at the cost of Gil.

Kaijyuu

Not in favor of having to pay to replenish your units after battle. The only value I can see in it is the multi-battle events, like the times you visit Orbonne Monastery, so you have to plan ahead more, and that can be accomplished by only replenishing units when you're on the world map (and hopefully for free).

Xifanie

You also have to understand that if there is a gil cost, it would be easy to make it 0 gil / 10000 gil / 1000 gil per level.

nitwit

Note that I said this as an alternative to crystalization and treasure boxing.  You would have lost that character anyways, only now you have a somewhat painful way to get that person back.

Quote from: choto
I like the idea of the inn thing, but there are two problems. 1 - it still doesn't change the fact that I could leave a unit at an inn, then hop between two non-battle inducing places and then just go pick him up with no penalty. 2 - once again it would be alot more work as I don't know how to add commands to the bar or soldier office and make the GUI behave accordingly offhand. I could try to figure it out but my time is mad crunched.

1. There's the fee.  There also could be a proposition associated with it as it's in a bar.  Maybe you have to leave one character to nurse the wounded person.  As for the 2 blue dots thing unless you can make it require a battle or 2 (which would also be useful for propositions) I guess you have to implement it and considering you can't retreat from battles in FFT this seems very fair to me.

2. When you said "Making it count something is trivial, it's more about what makes the most sense as a penalty" I thought you meant "throw some ideas at me".

Quote from: chotoA pipe dream of mine (as it relates to an Inn) is to have HP/MP behave like it would in a normal RPG where you keep the same values that you left battle with. Then let the player be able to cast cure or use potions and ethers to heal up out of battle if they want to.... but..... eh. Idk how good that would be to have in FFT.

Is this found in the post-battle routines?  IIRC there are formation gameshark codes for current and max hp.  Just need some menus.  And would MP regain over time, or for people who sit out on battles?

Quote from: Xifanie on October 19, 2014, 02:31:04 pm
You also have to understand that if there is a gil cost, it would be easy to make it 0 gil / 10000 gil / 1000 gil per level.

This is useful for out of battle healing I think.  Sidestep the buy potions grind.  Make gil management more important.