• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:42:53 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Shishi spriting animation frames

Started by Seperest, May 23, 2014, 10:32:06 am

Seperest

Whenever I change a monster or lucavi in shishi, the frames come out all wonky and jumbled up. I've tried all of the different settings but this still happens. Will they come out correct in game? I would test it myself but I don't have any saves near all of the lucavi. Thanks!

3lric

May 23, 2014, 12:12:27 pm #1 Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 12:31:22 pm by Elric
Did you change the SHP/SEQ TYPE?   You need to do that when changing sprites.

If you did, then the Lucavi might be hardcoded, I cannot remember if they are or not.
  • Modding version: PSX

Seperest

Yeah I changed the types. tried all of them. I really hope Lucavi aren't hard coded cause that will cause my patch great pains... I'll do some googling and see if they are

Jumza

Quote from: Seperest on May 23, 2014, 10:32:06 am
I would test it myself but I don't have any saves near all of the lucavi. Thanks!

Use FFTPatcher and edit a unit's sprite in a random or story battle you are currently at to test these kinds of things if you don't have a save near them in game!

If it's one of the altima's that you are trying to replace make sure all of the Flags in the bottom right corner are identical to other human sprites, though I don't think (I don't really know :P worth a shot though) those effect the frames, just things like how tall the sprite is in game (one of altima's flags adjusts the cursor in game so it doesn't go on top of the sprite).

Make sure to also uncheck flying when editing things like the ahriman or cockatrice, and make sure that the sprite matches it's type as well (in both SHP and SEQ, if you don't know what type a sprite is, put it in each and find out which is the glitched one). A type 1 sprite set to be used as type 2 will look so glitchy, like the arms won't actually be attached to the body while walking and whatnot.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Seperest

It is one of Altima's that I was trying to change, but with further testing I have issues with all lucavi and all monsters. The sprite I was using to test was the Lamia from Jot5. Tested them in game using Jumza's methods (can't believe I didn't think of that! lol) and they are turning out just as glitchy. I tried the flags and found no difference to the frames and animation there. Tried every type in both SHP and SEQ, interestingly enough I noticed that if I set SHP to MON with that sprite shishi will crash. Still though, no success. I used the black skeleton one from Jot5 and it seems to work fine with that sprite on TYPE1 and TYPE1. It seems to work fine with every human sized sprite I've used (Even other skeletons and goblins worked) but I can't seem to get good frames with any larger sprites on any SHP or SEQ settings. I'm using the version of Shishi thats packaged in the patcher suite on the main page, if that helps.

Jumza

Could you post a screenshot of an example (say, the lamia) of what is showing up for you in shishi (or if the errors aren't clear there, then in game)
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Choto

Just FYI, Altima's spritesheet slots are super hardcoded. The lucavi... I haven't seen much hardcoding for them but its possible. Otherwise you should replace comparably sized monster sprites. That's all I got

Seperest

TYPE1 and TYPE2 produce the same results as picture 1. MON crashes the editor for some reason. I've mixed and matched the SHP and SEQ types but it always turns out like one of the four screens shots im posting. Also tried setting flags in many different combinations but that doesn't change the frames at all.

Jumza

Ok, so basically the different SHP and SEQ things are for different types of sprites. The Lamia for example is a MON, so it will only display correctly in game when set as one. I have a feeling that you think ShiShi is crashing because it won't show you the animation frames for MON, which is untrue. The program just doesn't show them to you, but they function properly in game.

Seperest

Hmmm... thats quite weird... So it will work if i set it to MON? If so then my patch is in luck!

Here's a link to the concept of what I'm doing with my new patch. Still on the drawing board but I look forward to getting a beta out.
http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=10435.0

The sprites are going to be for the Lucavi. I'm changing the first 4 to the elemental guardians then Hash will be Garland and Altima will be 2 forms of chaos.

Thanks for the help guys!!! :D

Angel

Altima is super hard coded. If you do anything with either arute or kanzen, you need to follow the sheet format to the letter. I know; I did SotN Beezlebub as a kanzen sheet, and had to use that exact slot for it to work. So, do NOT change either Altima 1 or Altima 2's sprite type. You will have to modify someone else's sheet and swap it into the ENTD.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Seperest

Thanks for the tip Toshiko! Yeah I was thinking I'd have to do something other then edit her sprite itself. Hadn't had that idea yet though. Good news is FF1 doesn't have as many jobs as FFT so I've gained a few sprites to mess with :P