• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:45:35 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Item Types

Started by SentinalBlade, November 19, 2008, 11:56:10 am

SentinalBlade

November 19, 2008, 11:56:10 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
There are two new item types. The first ones are Catalyst, which i will explain now.

Catalysts are small weapons used to Amplify a mages abilities. wether it be boosting an element or boosting a stat, these enable an alternative to weak willed mages. Most of these catalyst give HP and a stat, or boost an element.

They equip in a weapon slot, but dissallow attacking. but the extra hp is always a boon

The second is Throwing Knives

These are short range weapons, much like a crossbows range, but rely on SP to do damage, rather than PA. They are the only ranged weapons that can be dual wielded.

Please, discuss your ideas and opinions on them here =)

Vanya

November 19, 2008, 01:17:39 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Catalysts are a great idea! I take it you had to do some AsM magic to get them not to allow attacking?

As for throwing knives it sounds a little backwards. I would have imagined that SP based damage would be for crossbows & guns since no matter how hard you pull the trigger they never fire with any greater force. Bows and these new throwing knives I'd think would use PA since you can pull harder on a bow and throw with greater force. Just my two cents.

Being able to dual wield the knives sounds like a great idea. BTW, if you're keeping Kunai around they should fall into this catagory.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

SentinalBlade

November 19, 2008, 07:59:20 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
It has, and no, the not attacking is by making the range on the weapon 0, i believe...if thats not it its a glitch i dont intend to fix ;D

Kunai is the 3rd in the series.

I see your point and raise you that guns are WP^2 and crossbows are now SP * WP anyways.

Guns formula is unique, im going to keep guns this way.

Throwing knives are slightly more powerful than crossbows, but crossbows have use with weapon guard nad can equip shields. throwing knives have no block

Vanya

November 19, 2008, 10:27:36 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
OK, ok. The guns & the crossbows make sense. Still think the knives should at least be a mix of PA & SP. But that's just my opinion. When I'm able to get back to hacking FFT I'm definitely going to pick your brain about editing the weapon formulas. I have beef with a lot of them in vanilla. ^_^
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zozma

November 19, 2008, 10:38:59 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
but from my experience, giving a weapon 0 ranges makes ai act stupid

one of my guests would not even cast spells!, on the other hand, i gave the weapon the 1 range and set its damage formula to 38 which is (100%)

but (100%) of nothing is nothing that works for ai but then your own characters can swing with the weapons....
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Kourama

November 20, 2008, 09:51:44 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kourama
That catalyst stuff reminds me of grips which they added to FFXI. Bascially you can use a grip for any two-handed weapon giving you extra stats and uses.

SentinalBlade

November 21, 2008, 03:48:16 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
bleh, ive never played FFXI. it sucked to much just by watching the trailers.

At any rate. I have room for another item type, since im keeping harps. Im gonna replace those ugly carpets :P any suggestions?

Skip Sandwich

November 21, 2008, 07:14:36 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
bandages that heal allies, those should replace silks
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

SentinalBlade

November 21, 2008, 07:20:30 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
very nice idea. ill try to do something with the palletes and names for the items :D

Skip Sandwich

November 21, 2008, 07:39:19 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
thanks, the cloth-->bandage idea has been running around my head for a while now, its pretty much the only thing we could replace them with that could use the existing animation, as least as far as I can imagine. my other healing weapon idea was to turn the healing staff into a book type weapon, that also healed allies, but at range. speaking of healing weapons, it's too bad we don't have a formula that works like formula 02, only with the heal [weapon] formula, so we could make support equipment that heals allies with a chance to cast a benificial spell on them.
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."

SentinalBlade

November 21, 2008, 09:42:18 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Ill look into editing that in...since i can do alot more than just chang a PA to an SP inside a formula now :D

Skip Sandwich

November 21, 2008, 09:57:13 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
coolness, cause I was thinking of a weapon that heals for some ammount, with a chance to perform a "critical heal" via the casting of a healing spell, or just inflict positive status in a fancy way by casting the associated spell (in the case of the afore mentioned bandage weapons, i'm thinking one will inflict Regen, the other will cure Don't Act and Don't Move, and the third will have a chance to cast a healing spell)
"Dave?  Are you there?"

SentinalBlade

November 21, 2008, 10:10:43 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
With the avaliable palletes we have skip, we can have more than 3 :) so i intend to

boomkick

December 01, 2008, 06:06:56 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by boomkick
Why not try Magic Bracers (not accessory).

They are bracers that do little damage other then a punch (can be equipped by monks) that do punching damage, elemental damage, and/or cast a spell.

For example, a Fire bracer has a fire element punch with a chance to cast a fire spell. It also boosts fire spells. Same with Ice or Lightning.

Some can cast other spells like Demi or status spells like Stop.

Just an idea im putting out there in a little old topic.