• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:04:21 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

☢ ☢ ☢ FFT Arena AI Tournament Season 3 ☢ ☢ ☢

Started by CT5Holy, July 28, 2014, 04:08:02 pm

Malroth

Quote from: Celdia on August 01, 2014, 07:24:54 am
*checks Malroth's earlier predictions against the Round 1 results thus far*

...I haven't got a snowball's chance in hell against you, have I?

You've got a chance but not a good one,  I'm faster, can heal more reliably, have better status infliction and have 2 good damage units vs your 1 but you've got 2 immortals with 1 capable of starting a rez chain and your holy sniping oracle can 2hko any of my units,  if your distraction units can evade status effects long enough to buy her 3 or 4 turns of nuking then you'll  win. 

Celdia

Well that's a better assessment than I expected. Good luck on the field of battle. ^_^
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Angel

Quote from: Barren on August 01, 2014, 12:55:17 pm
I did do the next two matches in 16:9 xifanie and its already ready to be uploaded but for now on I will reduce it to 4:3 so that way no one else should have the issue of seeing black bars on their screen for those who don't have resolution to see it in HD
Sorry to derail further, but it's not the resolution that matters, it's preserving aspect. Stretching is always bad. Upload WotL videos at 16:9, because that's the ratio the game is intended to be viewed at. Upload FFT videos at 4:3, because that's the ratio the game is intended to be viewed at. FFT characters shouldn't look wider than they are tall.

Opposite example: say you have a 4:3 monitor of generous resolution (we'll say 1600x1200) and you want to watch the 1959 classic, Ben-Hur. Here is the original ratio as it is meant to be viewed:

If you were to fill the screen, this would be your result:

If you find you could watch the movie this way, then let me present a more extreme example - say you happen to have a digital projector in Ben-Hur's aspect that you decide to play FFT on and fill the screen:

I hope you can thusly see what an eyesore it is when presented in such a way. It has nothing to do with HD capability (a 2048x1536 monitor can display 1080p and thensome, despite being 4:3) and everything to do with the source material's intended display.

Again, I apologize for the further derail, and also for being pedantic.
  • Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Barren

No its fine, i'll work on it as best as I can. as I said before I do have the next two matches ready but they are in 16:9 but I will start doing 4:3 for the remainder of the tourney and for future fft vids
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

DomieV

Damn that Time Mage sitting in the corner like that! Now I wonder if she were to be undead maybe I should have given her a P Bag for regen and switch black costume for RoL just to cover fire weakness. Meh, can't change it now. GG Zotis, you deserved the win more than I do considering that my team wasn't up to the task. Hopefully I'll have better luck on the doom train as Barren says

The Damned

August 02, 2014, 08:50:03 am #46 Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 08:55:30 am by The Damned
(*somewhere, Celdia breathes a sigh of relief as one of Malroth's predictions "finally" falters*)

Ugh. I still always see at least one typo I've missed only right after someone quotes me.

Anyway, speaking of missing things, having checked the PM I sent you and the document that I typed that team in, unlike the Leo-Libra bit of stupidity on my part, Doctor Pill does have Chronos Tear among his abilities as he should. So if you could fix that in-thread & in-game, Barren, I would greatly appreciate it; no hurry given my match is last, though the longer you wait, the easier you may forget given everything else you're doing. [/nagging]

As ever, thanks for the videos, though these two turned out to be the longest ones already. I wonder how long some of these will get even though no one's using Slow Dance and only one person is using Phoenix Blade....

Anyway, nice use of mostly Genesis music. Good to hear Dynamite Headdy finally (?) get some attention; I'd say the same of Sonic CD, but I'm pretty sure you've used music from that before and that generally gets way more attention overall.

(whitebox)
Team: Plush Patrol
Palettes: Yellow/White

================================

Jumpy
Male
Sagittarius
Lancer
Item
Damage Split
Defense UP
Teleport
Javelin
Escutcheon II
Crystal Helmet
Reflect Mail
N-Kai Armlet

Level Jump6, Vertical Jump8
Hi-Potion, X-Potion, Hi-Ether, Antidote, Chrono's Tear, Echo Grass, Maiden's Kiss, Soft, Holy Water, Bandage, Phoenix Down

Tanky
Male
Taurus
Paladin
Punch Art
PA Save
Martial Arts
Fly
Koutetsu Knife
Aegis Shield
Gold Helmet
Diamond Armor
Defense Ring

Nurse, Consecration, Transfusion, Iron Will, Reraise, Southern Cross
Spin Fist, Repeating Fist, Wave Fist, Earth Slash, Secret Fist, Stigma Magic, Chakra, Revive

Tricky
Male
Virgo
Squire
Ninjitsu
Abandon
Overwhelm
Move-MP Up
Coral Sword
Platina Shield
Flash Hat
Black Costume
Feather Mantle

Accumulate, Bullrush, Throw Stone, Heal, Yell, Wish
Tsuzumasuku, Shuriken, Meiton, Fuuton, Suiton, Houkouton, Kagesougi

Squishy
Female
Leo
Dancer
Snipe
Counter
Equip Ranged
Warpath
Gastrafitis

Twist Headband
Power Sleeve
Bracer

Execute, Cover Fire, Head Break, Armor Break, Shield Break, Weapon Break

vs.

(DARKANGELUXZ)
Team: Season 3
Palettes: Black/Blue

DARKNIGHT
Female
Pisces
Paladin
Punch Art
Counter
Martial Arts
Teleport
Blood Sword
Genji Shield
Crystal Helmet
Chameleon Robe
Angel Ring

Nurse
Earth Slash, Secret Fist, Stigma Magic, Chakra, Revive

DARKANCER
Female
Pisces
Lancer
Item
Dragon Spirit
Throw Item
Ignore Height
Dragon Whisker
Platina Shield
Platina Helmet
Platina Armor
Elf Mantle

Level Jump6, Vertical Jump8
X-Potion, Hi-Ether, Antidote, Chrono's Tear, Echo Grass, Maiden's Kiss, Soft, Holy Water, Bandage, Phoenix Down

DARKSUM
Female
Libra
Summoner
White Magic
HP Restore
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
Wizard Staff

Golden Hairpin
Wizard Outfit
Magic Ring

Moogle, Cyclops
Raise, Holy

DARKSAMURA
Female
Scorpio
Samurai
Time Magic
Counter Magic
Attack UP
Move-HP Up
Chirijiraden

Grand Helmet
Maximillian
Chantage

Murasame, Heaven's Cloud, Muramasa
Haste 2, Don't Move, Demi, Demi 2

You didn't really need to be an oracle or have one your team to see how this was likely to turn out given the problems DARKANGELUXZ--it pains me to type that in all capital letters--has given this particular team. No need to really harp on that, though, since it's rather easy to make a flawed team, especially if you're new. So, instead, I will do something uncharacteristic briefly and try to focus on the positives. Knowing my cynical self, however, I'm sure I'll phrase said "positive" commentary in ways could come off as at least passive-aggressively negative though or something along those lines.

With regards to what works on DARKANGELUXZ's current team, his (?) female Paladin did a more than decent job a being obnoxiously tanky. Even though a male Paladin could have done the job slightly better since she wasn't using Dance as her Secondary, which is a shame since she didn't use Secret Fist nearly enough, she just refused to stay down. It was really the rest of the team that dragged her down since she kept needing to refill Samurai's very limited MP, which was problematic since after the Paladin, the Samurai is the next most threatening person on Dark's team. Technically, the Summoner should be the most threatening unit, but between how commonly absorbed Holy element is and how she just eats damage to the face with her squishy HP since she's not the last unit....yeah.

DARKSUM at least now currently holds the record for the unit who died the most in a single round in all of the tournament thus far due to the first round. Yay.

As for whitebox's team, it also has issues, but considerably less comparatively and just his (?) Dancer having such a good set-up is basically what won him the match since his Dancer kept dancing all over every enemy's face...with arrows. Beyond that, I'll admit that when I first looked at whitebox's team, I kinda rolled my eyes at every skill set save for Dance having most if not all of the skills purchased. That said, Execute, Bullrush and, of all things, Houkouton actually put in a decent amount of work in netting whitebox the win.

Ending this on a more characteristically cynical note, though, I do find it rather ironic that Dark's team of all-female, mostly physical combatants, despite having no Dancer and that thus being mostly "wrong", out-damaged two of the males on whitebox's team overall. Then again, at least both Lancers have the excuse that they're support units. Meanwhile, whitebox's Paladin serves as an example of why Southern Cross and Grand Cross aren't actually strong enough to really be worth using unless you heavily skew your equips towards powering them up; it's why I didn't bother giving Sir Sheep Southern Cross, especially since Sleep Sword is even weaker than Koutetsu Knife is, especially for that purpose.

Finally, it's just a tad painful to still be stuck using a version of ARENA where Wish is still so bad. If that Wish had hit, then whitebox likely would have won even sooner or, at least, cut off the Samurai from grabbing the crystal in the first round. Oh well.

(DomieV)
Team: Season 3
Palettes: Yellow/Brown

Paige
Male
Sagittarius
Chemist
Draw Out
Auto Potion
Defense UP
Move-HP Up
Main Gauche

Thief Hat
Black Costume
Setiemson

Hi-Potion, X-Potion, Hi-Ether, Antidote, Chrono's Tear, Echo Grass, Maiden's Kiss, Soft, Holy Water, Bandage, Phoenix Down
Kiyomori, Masamune

Arthur
Male
Sagittarius
Paladin
Talk Skill
HP Restore
Attack UP
Warpath
Tactician's Blade
Zephyr Shield
Barbuta
Chameleon Robe
Cherche

Southern Cross
Blackmail, Refute, Insult, Mimic Daravon

Alicia
Female
Gemini
Archer
Steal
Projectile Guard
Concentrate
Move+1
Silver Bow

Golden Hairpin
Power Sleeve
Feather Mantle

Arm Aim, Seal Evil, Head Break, Armor Break, Weapon Break
Quickening, Steal Heart, Steal Accessry

Serena
Female
Gemini
Time Mage
White Magic
Damage Split
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
Rainbow Staff

Black Hood
Robe of Lords
Cursed Ring

Haste 2, Slow 2, Sinkhole, Balance
Raise 2, Esuna

vs.

(Zotis)
Team: Good Morning Althea
Palettes: Blue/Yellow

Galory
Female
Aquarius
Paladin
Talk Skill
Absorb MP
Defense UP
Move-HP Up
Ice Brand
Aegis Shield
Cross Helmet
Black Robe
Dracula Mantle

Nurse, Consecration, Transfusion, Iron Will, Reraise, Southern Cross
Preach, Solution, Mimic Daravon

Type-38
Female
Gemini
Summoner
Draw Out
Auto Potion
Magic Attack UP
Move+1
Wizard Rod

Golden Hairpin
Wizard Robe
Magic Ring

Moogle, Shiva, Ramuh, Ifrit, Fairy, Carbunkle, Cyclops
Asura, Koutetsu, Bizen Boat, Murasame

Althea
Female
Libra
Oracle
White Magic
Counter
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
Octagon Rod

Thief Hat
White Robe
Defense Ring

Silence Song, Paralyze, Sleep
Cure, Cure 2, Cure 3, Cure 4, Raise, Raise 2, Protect 2, Shell 2, Wall, Esuna

Tetraskelion
Female
Aquarius
Wizard
Time Magic
MP Restore
Magic Defend UP
Teleport
Poison Rod

Green Beret
Robe of Lords
Wizard Mantle

Frog
Haste 2, Slow 2, Sinkhole

Ugh. There was so much damn spinning in this match at certain points due to the Haste 2 Slow 2 War that I'm a bit surprised Spinderella's music didn't come on if Dynamite Headdy's music was (probably) being used. All that repeated spinning is just part of why I rarely bother with Haste on my teams, including the one for this tournament, even if the AI's annoying fixation on adding Haste and Slow statuses is understandable.

That said, despite how long this went on, there's not nearly as much as I want to say compared to the previous match. I'll admit, despite them both being more than decent teams, I'm a bit surprised that DomieV lost and, relatively speaking with regards to units not crystallized, lost so "decisively". To me, this match came down to Zotis largely winning (so "easily") just because Arthur got really, really unlucky overall, especially with his Southern Crosses. I think he only did one Southern Cross that targeted multiple units where someone didn't guard even though Zotis's team doesn't have any units with especially high evasion.

This is not to say that Zotis's team didn't put in competent effort, but the highest damaging person on DomieV's team constantly getting blocked didn't exactly help DomieV at all. Compare and contrast this to Zotis's female Paladin getting often rather lucky with her Talk Skills and own Southern Crosses. Oh well. DomieV is at least in basically no danger of being eliminated in his first loser's match to be frank even if it comes across as more than a bit mean.

Beyond that, I will admit that I was rather disappointed to see how little damage the Holy from Silver Bow did despite all the Faith behind it on top of the good compatibility the Archer & Wizard have. It was also nice to see the A.I. actively use Preach and also have that use actually matter, even if it was arguably "win-more".

Finally, the amount of difference that Sleep status made here despite the Chemist being basically the last unit up and mostly untouched both times makes me slightly, foolishly more hopeful for my own team. [/self-absorption]
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Dokurider

Eternal vs TristanBeolouve

I would say that Tristan has the more solid team of this matchup. Tristan's offense, though more orthodox, is plainly better than Eternal's advertisement for his pat-I mean his team. Eternal's idea of combining Dragon Spirit + Moonlight, while commendable, will not work because the AI would rather retreat and heal then go on the offensive. Sad to say, Tristan's MaxiMoonlight Paladin will probably profit more from the Blade Beam proc. However, Gold Staff can do some work here in removing Tristan's various buffs. Eternal's Wizard and Archer are also decent enough. In fact, the Archer is good enough to keep Tristan's K-Ninja, otherwise a unit that would easily chop up Eternal's units, at bay. The Priest does his priestly duties well enough, but I can't help but think he would have preferred Holy/Dia over Shieldrender, as he doesn't have the stats to really take advantage of it. His Archer will eventually be dragged out of combat in favor of sandbagging. Still, this match could go either way, especially in the Small Map match. Tristan is not without his own team inefficencies. His chemist does not need Holy when he has Blaze Gun. Bards can only sing one song effectively besides Life and Angel Song. His physical units do not need 70 faith and his ninja has sub optimal fury (which the Paladin could have gotten away with).

Winner: Tristan has the edge here, but Eternal has potential and can steal the win if Tristan drop control of the match.

Barren vs Truelight

The match of the tournament and it's already here. Both teams sport fierce offenses from Barren's Cursed Katar Thief and GeoSamurai vs Truelight's PowerStone Gun and 5 move ChiriBard. I would like to say that Truelight's Stone Gunner is going to be able to keep that Katar Thief at bay, but you never know about those damn thieves and once he gets into knife range, that Warpath is not going to do him any favors. Still, if that Stone Gunner gets on a roll, he can eventually pick Barren apart.

Winner: Truelight, but y'know, bet against Cursed Katar Thieves at your own peril.

Anima Zero vs Fenire

I was included to favor Anima Zero in this match up, but forgetting to add Blind Protection (or thinking Heal will make up for it) is going to cripple his Brand Crosser. With him only able to attack once every turn (or every turn and failing miserably) Tornado/Quake Samurai and Quicken Monk are going to have to work a lot harder or hope the Mimic Daravons come often. Fenire's team is much more solid and deadly, from Abandoned Shieldrender to Attack Up Cursed Mythril Bow and Zodiacs whenever needed.

Winner: Fenire, but after a good back and forth.

White Knight Wiegraf vs CT5Holy

CT5Holy whipped up quite the nasty team this itneration. Anyone would be hardpressed to beat this team. High powered offense is the theme of the team here. Mimic K-Ninja, Pilgrimgun, Punch Art and ParaSleep are going to give Wiegraf's Mime team a hard day. Mimed Witch Hunt will be mostly ineffectual. All I can say is that the Mimicked Asuras and Odin/Titans better roll.

Winner: CT5Holy will just blitz here.

DARKANGELUXZ

a little late but I just want to say hello, really could not improve enough my team because I found out too late in the tournament but did not want to be left out, I'm learning a lot from all of you thank you friends.

Zotis

Oh boy I was practically having a seizure with anticipation when I noticed the match was up.  And well to be honest going into the match I was especially worried about Charm, but I didn't see a single charm oddly enough.  It was quite the haste/slow war, and I'm really fortunate to have won the status battle.  I'm glad Preach kicked in as it's not something the AI is usually willing to use, but I think the way I built that Paladin worked out even better than I had planned in terms of how the AI used it.  Overall I'm very pleased to see how well my team was able to maintain control and effectively sandbag.  I was able to shut down that Archer for the most part with the 1-hit KO Cyclops'.  Sleep is overpowered, and my frogs and don't act got just the right amount of usage.  I think everything just came together really well.  I guess on the downside my team tends to layer on tons of status before it gets around to finishing people off, and that can give them a chance for a comeback or just needlessly drag on the match.  But I would rather err on the side of caution in this case.

DomieV, I think your team was really good.  I love your time mage, that Paladin is pretty tough too.  I feel odd about the chemist though, and while the archer isn't bad she was just a bit too weak to do much in this match.  Unfortunately for you Defense Up and Projectile Guard didn't factor in since my team was a magic focused team.  I think more than anything it was simply a bad match up for you.  Hopefully you do better in the underworld.  You have good survivability, status, and damage, so I think you'll do well.

A couple noteable quotes from Barren:

"It's not a good day to be Arthur right now."  After sleep landed on the slowed, poisoned, don't acted, frog.  This really made me chuckle.
"Wow, Preach Magic Attack Up Moogle for 306, that is pretty impressive actually."  It was really cool to see that happen in the match.

If you want music suggestions for future matches Barren, might I suggest NES midis.  Especially Final Fantasy, Dragon Warriors, Double Dragon, and Mega Man.  Also the Genocyber OST is pretty solid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ9QnXJJUu8

Malroth

Welcome to the Forums Darkangeluxz hope you stick around once the tournament is over.

As for Music suggestions
anything by
Nobou Ueumatsu (ff 1-10)
Yasonori Mitsuda (chrono trigger, chrono cross, xenogears, xenosaga ep 1 Xenoblade)
Yoko Shimomura (Kingdom hearts, seiken densetsu series)
Hitoshi Sakimoto (fft,FFtA, Vagrant story, FF12)
Kajiura Yuki (Xenosaga eps 2&3, Pandora Hearts, Fate zero, Dot hack series, More anime series than i can count)

Dokurider

Try Revenge of Shinobi and Shinobi III for the Genesis. Both some kick ass games and some kick ass music.

skiploom188

Since we are talking musics now, the Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal anime OST (the Japanese one) has some tracks that sound similar to FFT. I can provide the copy if you like sir.
======================================================================
I evolved... into a stick figure. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj-yTyoVpYIdcdIPw8SP5rw
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pokemon Fantasy Tactics - A treat for FFT fans! http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=10984.msg207542
======================================================================

Barren

Thanks guys for the music suggestions that does help me pick some more out for future matches. And skiploom if you want to use that music you want for your match just let me know what particular tracks you have in mind and i will do my best to find them

DARKANGELUXZ

Quote from: Malroth on August 03, 2014, 01:38:15 am
Welcome to the Forums Darkangeluxz hope you stick around once the tournament is over.

Thanks, really. some time I am here
but I have no. knowledge of FFT like you
I manage a group on facebook about it
but I do it with all the love I have for this game
  and desire. learning more. and this is the the right place

silentkaster

Ohhhhhh good music? I wanna hear Mega Man 2 Wily Stage 1...that'd be really awesome in one of the videos :)

Worried about my match with Otabo...I don't think I'm gonna do too well, but oh well. Maybe it'll be another fun, long lasting match like in the stream that one time...

Liking the matches so far :)
You've stepped in puddles less shallow than me.

Barren

Quote from: silentkaster on August 03, 2014, 12:33:53 pm
Ohhhhhh good music? I wanna hear Mega Man 2 Wily Stage 1...that'd be really awesome in one of the videos :)

Worried about my match with Otabo...I don't think I'm gonna do too well, but oh well. Maybe it'll be another fun, long lasting match like in the stream that one time...

You got it!

Dokurider

Tsuzumasuku was not flagged for AI use. That's why the AI doesn't use it.

I underestimated just how bad of an idea having your Chemist also be your Raise unit. The Paladin's revive simply wasn't cutting it, leaving Tristan with consistently only one source of revival, bad move. Not having Chakra also screwed him hard. That and not having a significant MP pool to draw on. I did say that unnecessarily high faith was going to be a problem and it was.

Anima Zero

Quote from: silentkaster on August 03, 2014, 12:33:53 pm

You're not the only one worried about your match, heh.  I keep facepalming myself for the slip up on my Paladin (Grand Cross without a way to block blind, that was sure smart of me).  All it would have taken would be a couple minor changes and I'd be able to run it in almost the exact same way.  Alas, I just hope that mistake on my part isn't going to cost me a good match with Fenire.

And if we're going for music requests...you could try the X vs Zero battle theme from Megaman X5 or X6.  Also, the Mythos remix version of Departure from Mega Man Zero 2 is pretty rad.
"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero..." Zero, Mega Man Zero 4