• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:44:41 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

(PSP Hack) Party/Battle Formation Screen Sprite Changes?

Started by OveliaAtkascha, January 17, 2016, 09:06:22 pm

OveliaAtkascha

I was playing around with some new concepts today and I decided to try changing Meliadoul's sprite for the hood-less variation found in the Downloads section.  After a bit of reading, I managed to get it to work, but it only shows up in combat.  I figured maybe after changing screens a few times it might kick in, but it has not.  Have I done something wrong, or is their a separate process that I'm not seeing in order to change the character sprites in the party screen and battle formation screen?

I went and read through the tutorial and all the help guides I could find on sprite mods and I haven't seen anything different than the steps I took on the original tutorial to input the sprite:

• Open the ISO in shishi and input the modded sprite.

• Extract fftpack.bin.

• Input UNIT.BIN and WLDFACE.BIN into FFTEVGRP, extract to .bmp.

• Open new sprite in shishi and print screen.

• Open to Graphics Gale and paste to window.

• Open UNIT.BIN and WLDFACE.BIN as new windows in Graphics Gale

• Copy over the palettes and the sprites, save.

• Recompile fftpack.bin

• Extract ISO image to empty folder.

• Open ISO in UMDGen, extract image to empty folder.

• Copy over recompiled fftpack.bin, recompile UMD.

I received no error messages throughout the process and as I stated earlier, the process worked, insofar as getting the sprite to show up in combat.  I did get a little confused on the final steps as to why you open the ISO up twice, once in UMDGen and once not, so it's possible that I missed something, but on the off chance it's something else, I figured I'd ask for clarification here.

Thank you for your time and assistance!
"I am a daughter of House Atkascha!  I'll take no orders from you!"

3lric

QuoteOpen UNIT.BIN and WLDFACE.BIN as new windows in Graphics Gale
Copy over the palettes and the sprites, save.
Recompile fftpack.bin

Did you skip the step where you put those modified images into UNIT.BIN and WLDFACE after you finished the GraphicsGale portion? Or did you just not list it?
  • Modding version: PSX

OveliaAtkascha

I'm pretty sure I just failed to list it; I went through the process from memory.

3lric

Dunno then. I know the current tutorial that Fallout10mm wrote for adding a sprite to WotL works as I was the one to format the tutorial and he also provides images to show that it does.

Unfortunately this means you are indeed skipping a step somewhere. If you HAD actually -successfully- imported the new images into UNIT and WLDFACE.BIN and repacked them, you wouldn't even HAVE the old versions of the formation sprites avaliable anymore, which means that something isn't updating in your WLDFACE and UNIT.BIN...

I would open the ones you edited in FFTEVGRP and make sure they do indeed reflect your changes, unlike Shishi, you DO need to save the WLDFACE and UNIT.BIN after importing a new image btw.
  • Modding version: PSX

OveliaAtkascha

I will try it again this weekend, then and hope to fix it quickly.  There probably is something I'm missing, but I read over that guide enough times to have figured it all out, I'd have thought. 

Thanks for the advice, it should be helpful to know more of the debugging procedure.