• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:37:14 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Troubleshooting tab mods for the PSP patch.

Started by Wasabi, October 13, 2009, 07:46:06 pm

Wasabi

October 13, 2009, 07:46:06 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Wasabi
Hi everyone,

I need some small advice for patching the PSP version with FFTPatcher v.457. Nothing extraneous, really, but I wish to understand some portions of this program better so that I can narrow down the reason why my patched iso crashes during battle (the mechanics work fine and all the edits I've made went through, it's just that if you attempt to grind or prolong a battle to a certain extent the game crashes).

And to be sure, my iso is clean. I always rip a fresh iso straight out of my UMD with my PSP. And I've experimented with two different versions of FFTPatcher and still experience the same type of crash, so the problem lies in what modifications I've made in my patch (no ASM hacks have been applied as well).

So, here's just a general list of the tabs that I've modified. This is the list that I found when you're about to select the ISO you're going to patch with your patch file. Maybe someone can relate to me which areas are the most sensitive when it comes to my problem (game crashing/freezing during battle):

• Abilities
  • Ability Effects
  • Items
  • Item Attributes
  • Jobs
  • Skillsets
  • Monster Skills
  • ENTD1, 2, 4, 5.ENT

Also, along with the "ENTD#.ENT" flags that have been marked, there's one called "Decrypt EBOOT.BIN" that's also been checked. What could this be exactly?

And, in the case of modified skillsets and monster skills, if the abilities have been switched around from one class to another, or if monsters have human abilities (ie. Goblins with "Pummel/Repeating Fist"), would that glitch the game if they happen to turn into crystals in battle? Just a thought.

Thanks for reading this topic, and I hope you can help me out in finding the reason why my patch crashes during battle. :)

edit: I apologize if I'm posting this topic in the wrong section, but I thought this might enlighten some people as to what these registries were in the PSP version, since it is slightly unfamiliar territory in comparison to its PSX predecessor.

Wasabi

October 17, 2009, 07:15:33 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Wasabi
Well, I've done extensive play-testing and figured out the problem for the in-battle crashing, which seems PSP-specific for some reason: each ability is slightly coded to belong to a specific skillset. Like, say, the "Rend" abilities are inherently coded to belong to the "Battle Skill / Arts of War" skillset, and swapping the abilities in and out, or adding/subtracting abilities, of that skillset will be a big no-no considering how the PSP's mechanics tracks and identifies abilities. Especially through crystallization.

You can change and swap abilities just fine in the game, and play the game normally, but when a unit crystallizes the game WILL CRASH. It is very weird, but I don't really find it surprising considering that the ASM layout is much, much different here than that of its PSX predecessor.

A simple solution, which I've done, is to flag every class (across the board!) under the "Job" tab as having an immunity to 'Crystal.' This includes monsters as well (although in my patch I *have* mixed around the "Monster Skills" tab extensively, which may influence a crash during a monster's crystallization). I'm not very familiar of any CWcheat that can disable the learning of abilities through crystallization, but I'm very aware that FFTorgASM WILL NOT work for the PSP version, which has a hack that can disable ability learning through crystals. Also, though the crash is made from a unit's crystallization, I'm not very sure if my hypothesis is that skin-deep, meaning something entirely different from what I assumed above could be influencing the crash which may "appear" to be due to the ability layouts of skillsets.

And, food for thought: from what I've found in flagging immunity for 'Crystal' for all classes, when the CT counter for a unit is about to fully complete at 0 the game's formula that replaces the deceased unit with 'Crystal' or 'Treasure Chest' still assumes that either/or is the possible result. However, with 'Crystal' omitted, if the assumed solution comes to 'Crystal' for the unit the CT counter will actually reset and start the randomizing formula over again until 'Treasure Chest' becomes the result. So, if all classes have 'Crystal' and 'Treasure Chest' flagged for immunity, I'm pretty certain that all unit's will have an "infinite Dead status" until something is used to revive them back into animation. :) I'm sure that everyone/anyone that's toyed with FFTPatcher knows this already, but I've found it slightly fascinating.

Oberon

I know this thread is like a year old but i got one question, what about the gaffgarion fight? when gaffgarion dies hes supposed to immediatly become a crystal. i did the same you did and i was wondering about that part. what will happen in that battle seeing as how the crystal status is omitted from the game?
*edit* ah. luckily for gaffgarion his crystal doesn't cause the game to crash.thats a relief. now i can finish my hack.