• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

FFT: Parted Ways Item Discussion (Current: Knives)

Started by Eternal248, December 18, 2010, 09:52:21 am

Eternal

This thread, much like the job class thread is devoted to balancing items. Once we all agree on one set of items being balanced, we'll move to the next. I think it'll be much more organized that way.

KNIVES

Combat Knife
1500 Gil
4 WP
10% Evasion
PA +1

Dual Wield: Yes
Doublehand: No

Thief's Dagger
2500 Gil
5 WP
10% Evasion
Cast: Steal Gil

Dancing Dagger
5500 Gil
4 WP
15% Evasion
Cast: Doubleshot

Ripper
7500 Gil
4 WP
5% Evasion
Add: Immobilize or Disable

Gladius
7500 Gil
5 WP
10% Evasion
Wind Elemental

Main Gauche
10000 Gil
2 WP
25% Evasion

Swift
25000 Gil
3 WP
5% Evasion
Speed +1

Valiant Knife
35000 Gil
4 WP
10% Evasion
Fire Elemental
Initial: Reraise

Mage Masher
50000 Gil
6 WP
10% Evasion
Drains MP on hit

Tonberrian
Poach/Find Only
7 WP
Damages equal to user's lost HP

Dual Wield: No

Thoughts? Ideas? Any constructive feedback is appreciated!
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Arganthonius7

Parted Ways is Newtype, correct?
Their prices seem a bit high to me. Also 25% evasion does not seem to me to be a good substitute to a higher WP. Or is Parry/Weapon Guard Innate?
The rest seem like great ideas to me.

Eternal

Parry will only be innate on Fencers (Alicia/Lavian). For the rest, they'll need to equip it.
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

Pride

Knives already have a formula disadvantage [Sp+PA]/2, I don't think they need to be hit with such a low amount of WP. I believe the spread of them are good (I like having Mage Masher drain mp over inflicting silence as a nice touch) but could use a boost in wp.

Also agreeing with Arganthonius7 that Main Gauche could use a large increase in wp in comparison with other knives. 25% weapon evade without have innate weapon guard just isn't worth it on any level.
  • Modding version: PSX
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Arganthonius7

Why does the Tonberrian matter if it deals damage equal to lost HP?
You might try a knife with a high WP but no other attributes.(evasion,inflict status,etc..)

Pride

Because it doesn't use the normal formula. Basically if you have 300 of your 350 hp remaining, you'll do 50 damage. If you have 1 of 900 hp remaining, you will do 899 damage. That why it matters and there is no wp displayed.
  • Modding version: PSX
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Eternal

Spoiler tags removed, and yes, they appear in the order that you get them from the shops. That said, you'll be able to get every storebought item before the end of Chapter 2.

EDIT: Boost Main Gauche to 4 WP maybe, give every other knife a 1 WP increase?

Arganthonius7

Oh sorry, I meant why does the weapon power matter. Because it won't make a difference to your Hp, right?

Eternal

Right. The only reason it has WP at all is because some skills require WP as a factor.

GeneralStrife

The tonberrian is a very interesting weapon, I assume it's not easy to get.

Eternal

Nope, you'll have to poach it from the Tonberry Shade (found only in later floors of DD in Disk 2) or by stealing it during a certain battle from an enemy you may or may not know you can steal from. ;P

dinosaur

The Mage Masher doesn't have to be that strong because MP is not as prevalent as HP. The weapon becomes pointless if the attacker can drain the attackee MP with one or two hits. Cause I assume your knife formula is WP*PA so if someones PA is 10 and equip the mage masher it would do 160 mp damage and that could instantly drain a persons MP then it is pointless to attack that person again. I would recommend a lower WP.

So Thief dagger and Gladius are the same but 5,000 gil difference because the Gladius has wind element?

Is Main Gauche so expensive because it has 25% evasion, but it is only 2 WP... To use the Weapons Evasion, do they have to have 'weapon guard' equipped?

Eternal

1) Mage Masher's formula uses Speed, IIRC. I can't remember if I used Drain[Weapon] or Drain[WP*PA] (or whatever that formula was). I'll have to look it up.

2) Gladius has the potential for higher damage, thus the higher price. Thief's Dagger is better earlier on.

3) Main Gauche's WP will be boosted, since Parry isn't innate.

dinosaur

Oh okay

QuoteThe Mage Masher doesn't have to be that strong because MP is not as prevalent as HP. The weapon becomes pointless if the attacker can drain the attackee MP with one or two hits.

What do you think about that situation?

Eternal

Consider that you'll probably only be using one Mage Masher on your entire team. More times than naught, you'll be facing 5-6 enemies. 1 unit going around reducing 1 unit's MP isn't that big, unless the target's a mage, which I'll address later with Robes. Also, consider that enemies will have access to Ethers/Hi-Ethers and will be more than willing to use them. I can nerf the Masher so that it deals a pittance of MP damage, but against enemies with Robes (the highest MP robe will probably give around 200 MP, at this rate), it probably won't take their entire MP pool down. For physical units, yes. But they don't need the MP as much.

And again, you're pretty much sacrificing the Masher User's attack command to damage MP, and that unit will be less effective at actually killing units. The best build I can see thus far would be an Assassin dual wielding a Mage Masher and some other weapon. But, again, I can nerf the WP.

Alternatively, I could go back to making it inflict Silence. But that's boring. :(

So here are the options thus far for Mage Masher:

1) Nerf the WP
2) Make it inflict Silence
3) Make it un-dual-wieldable
4) Combination of the above

Sorry if that doesn't make sense. I'm terrible at talking about balance. >_>

dinosaur

It makes sense, don't worry love.

Well my experience was playing your patch at thief's fort. The Ninja (purple girl) had mage masher and within three hits (two regular and one critical) Ramza lost all his MP and he was at level *99*. He became useless. Then the purple ninja went to Algus and depleted his MP quick. So I am not sure if that makes it over powered but it is something to think about. People would need to give more insight.

RavenOfRazgriz

Anything not commented on is fine.

Quote from: "Eternal248"Combat Knife
1500 Gil
4 WP
10% Evasion
PA +1

Passable because its the starting Dagger, but otherwise it doesn't fit and seems pretty blah in the long run.

Quote from: "Eternal248"Gladius
7500 Gil
5 WP
10% Evasion
Wind Elemental

Seems fairly pointless honestly. Being Wind Elemental is only good for damage boosting, and with 5 WP the damage isn't much even if you're double wielding Wind Boosting into a Weak spot on a Floating target.  All your other Daggers are based on disabling or otherwise procing, this straight up doesn't fit and seems worthless.

Quote from: "Eternal248"Main Gauche
10000 Gil
2 WP
25% Evasion

30% Evasion, 5-6 WP because Weapon Guard isn't innate.  Giving up your Reaction for Weapon Guard is a big sacrifice, so the reward needs to be big to balance it out.  Having the highest base WP for Main Gauche is fine because none of the other Daggers besides the poorly-fitting Gladius are even about damage.

Quote from: "Eternal248"Swift
25000 Gil
3 WP
5% Evasion
Speed +1

Just commenting because I love how you thought it would be okay for this thing to have more WP than Main Gauche, lol.  It's fine though.

Quote from: "Eternal248"Mage Masher
50000 Gil
6 WP
10% Evasion
Drains MP on hit

Commenting to tell you not to do anything to it.  6 WP * likely 4-20 PA depending on where you are in the game is 24-120 MP per hit (noting that morel levels and better armors and helmets mean the MP totals getting torn into will be higher as this number increases) in trade for at least half your attack command and the fact it's essentially single-target range-1 skill more than it is a weapon.

Quote from: "dinosaur"Cause I assume your knife formula is WP*PA so if someones PA is 10 and equip the mage masher it would do 160 mp damage and that could instantly drain a persons MP then it is pointless to attack that person again. I would recommend a lower WP.

10*6=60.

Quote from: "dinosaur"The Ninja (purple girl) had mage masher and within three hits (two regular and one critical) Ramza lost all his MP and he was at level *99*.

Most classes with decent power in most iterations of FFT can KILL units in two regular hits and one critical hit.  :/