• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 09:22:06 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Changing Ramza chapter 2 sprite

Started by Sdub, July 09, 2014, 07:50:37 pm

Sdub

Hello everyone in brand new to this. I currently have a FFT wotl iso that i have a slowdown patched onto the iso for my pspgo. Now if i wanted to change ramza s chapter 2 sprite to something that looks like the cutscenes instead of the blue silver .

This is the only one i can find at the moment. http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=2429.0

How involved is the process and where should i start?

Also is there a way to make it so Dark knight is automatically unlocked  at chapter 2 for ramza. I want to enjoy the class without being ungodly strong after getting it. Thanks guys i hope you can help me.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
  • Discord username: Sdub

Kurosabes

In the downloads section, get the FFTPatcher Suite. Within it is ShiShi, which allows you to change battle sprites. You can import .bmp, or make your own palette by extracting the .bmp. You can export the .bmp of the sprite you want to edit (export it twice, make a backup) and then edit the colors using the palette editor found here http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=3901.0 When you're done editing, null the palette before saving and import your modified palette into ShiShi.

To 'automatically' unlock Dark Knight specifically for Ramza, just add the skills to chapter 2 Ramza's skillset. You can use FFTPatcher for that. Add them to chapter 4 Ramza as well because he changes to that skillset at that point. Just make sure they use the same skill slot (you'll have to move down Shout and Ultima a bit to make room for Dark Knight skills). It's probably not exactly what you're looking for but it's the only way I could think of.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Kurosabes#0312

Sdub

Alright thank you. I'm gonna have to just tinker with it. I was thinking of using the lioneditor to maybe just make the classes level 8 and master knight and black mage. Not sure of the repercussions of doing it that way.

Angel

A warning: editing any sprite with special event frames (and Ramza has quite a lot of them) will cause very glitchy graphics whenever said frames are called during an event. As long as you don't care about story scenes looking all glitched up, replacing sprites is easy as can be. If you want story scenes to look appropriate, it's... very time consuming for beginners.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Sdub

I was looking into that, i guess they are called EVTCHR? Not sure what it's stands for or how big of a process it is. Its one of those things that bug me to not see his colors match up with art and the cutscenes.

Angel

July 12, 2014, 12:15:38 am #5 Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 12:31:43 am by Toshiko
Correct. It's a fairly long and tedious process that only gets longer and more tedious the further removed from the original sprite your custom sprite is. If all you're doing is changing the palette, then no big deal. If you replace Ramza with Batman or something, you're not going to have a quick time of it redoing all the EVTCHRs to make them not glitch out visually.

Edit: Correcting information that was incorrect.

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame

3lric

If its just a palette swap, then its an easy fix, if not, then you'll have to edit each of the special frames, there is several hundred or so.

What happens in the event is that it will use the original EVTCHR frame, but with the palette of the new sprite, so if the palette and sprite
doesn't match that of the EVTCHR frame, it'll derp out. Doesn't effect gameplay, though it is very ugly to look at and at times can be down
right nightmarish.

Sdub

ah well, i guess its just not worth it. Although i did tinker with the FFT patcher and found your able to remove the Level 8 Job requirements for Dark Knight. Which is a plus, I see no way to remove the Need to master knight and Black mage, although i haven't tested it.

Sdub

So, Ramza is out of the question, but lets say for exmaple i wanted to make Ladd(Rad), Alicia, and Lavian Have a unique sprite?  Would the process be the same?

Angel

Not exactly; they're generics with generic sprites, which means you'd need to free up 3 sprites elsewhere (which is totally doable; redo all of the necessary ENTDs to free up the duplicate Mustadio, Agrias, and Malak sprites) so you can replace them, and assign their correct sprites and non-generic sprite status in the Orbonne intro ENTDs and beginning of Ch.2 join up ENTD.

Sdub

I see, So if i wanted to make ladd unique, with the black palette version of this sprite http://ffhacktics.com/sprites/s/wmm.bmp Also what exactly is an ENTD?

Lijj

That really is nightmarish looking!

Angel

Look in FFTPatcher - there's an ENTD tab. ENTDs say what characters are loaded in which scenes, random battles, etc; what their names, jobs, equipment and all is; whether or not they join after, and if so, if they join as a guest.