• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:47:38 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

PSP Scripte = Trash? Dominic Rebuttalé Requested!

Started by Archael, April 10, 2009, 12:24:15 pm

Archael

April 10, 2009, 12:24:15 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
On yonder dayeth of Friday ofe the 10th of April of the yeareth 2009,
Sir Heavenlye Knayght Asmo the XIIth made the followinge statemente:

Argumentation commenceth!

DarthPaul

April 10, 2009, 12:38:54 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Wow I have very little to say except I disagree with half of that but overall Asmo hit the nail on the head.

Nice accent by the way Arch.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Sephirot24

April 10, 2009, 02:30:49 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Sephirot24
As someone who's first language is not English, I don't know if you'll take my opinion too seriously... BUT

I also think PSP's translation is a fucking unreadable, overly complex, unnecesarily structurated piece of shit. It's the same problem I had with XII. I couldn't understand quite a lot of vocabulary, the sentences were not fluent at all, and all this high-class, uber-formal form of english made the already boring story of XII unbearable. They could've just fixed the typos from the original FFT.. which is only a few word translations and some sentence structure here and there.

No other FFs use that overly complex english. Look at VII, VIII, IX, X for example (IX is a great example).

Vanya

April 10, 2009, 03:09:56 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Wasn't the original Japanese FFT script written in a similarly archaic style?
The game was intended to fit into a medieval setting.
The first script was weak in fitting with this setting, had rotten spelling half the time, and tons of logical errors to boot.
The second version went a little overboard with the archaic terminology and unnecessary changes, but it wasn't that bad.
I think it's silly to complain about it too much anyway.
If it really bothers someone that much then rewrite it and make a path instead of bitching about it.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Miroshi Beshima

April 10, 2009, 03:17:22 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Miroshi Beshima
I actually really like the way they wrote the script for WotL. Like Vanya said, it was intended to fit into a medievil setting.

Smitson

April 10, 2009, 03:21:42 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smitson
I have to say WOTL is ALOT better.

slapshockx8

April 10, 2009, 04:06:32 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by slapshockx8
WOTL translation is better because it was translated by humans.

Vanya

April 10, 2009, 04:44:25 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Instead of trained chimps?
¯\(°_0)/¯

LastingDawn

April 10, 2009, 04:46:46 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Vanya hit the nail on the head, it much more truthfully follows the Japanese script (only thing we're missing are parentheses explaining what some words mean, as the Japanese had), but it's not really neccessary, the language isn't really that complicated. (they could have went the original route and made Gaffgarion french, thank goodness they didn't take that!)

My only complaint with the PSP script is "Gragoroth" it is clearly Supposed to be Golagros.

Golagros is a character from the King Arthur legend, he fought Percival (I think...) to a draw, but in the ensuing combat, lost his kingdom. King Arthur recognizing the humility and chivalrous virtue inside of Golagros allowed him to continue ruling his kingdom. These people are supposed to be well versed in classic literature, yet they plainly ignored the legend of Golagros and instead opted for "Gragoroth".
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Vanya

April 10, 2009, 05:14:55 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
From my re-translations of character names they seem to be choosing which 'r' sounds to convert to 'l' at random. They didn't try to figure out they sounds the Japanese text was trying to emulate.

Here are my translations thus far:
Ramza Beoulve
Delita Heiral -> German?
Algus Sadalfus
Zalbaag Beouvle
Dycedarg Beoulve
Bestrald Larg
Daksmald Goltanna
Ovelia Atkascha
Cidolfus Orlandeau
Maridge Feuneral -> The Japanese have a 'special' love of puns.
Reis Deular
Zalm Luznarda
Orlan Durai -> Funny how the first few kana of 'Orlandeau' and 'Orlan' have almost the same sounds.
Simon Pen Lakeesh -> Sounds like it was supposed to be Arabic or Hebrew.
Gaff Gafgarion ->Hadn't pegged this one for French 'til you mentioned it, LD.
Alphonse D'LaCroix -> Draclau my ass!
Tita Heiral -> Very common Spanish given name.
Malak Galtenarra -> Seems they were trying very hard to make him & his sister sound exotic.
Mesdoram Elmdore
Gelcanis Barrington
Balmafra Lanandeau -> The translators didn't seem to have a good handle on what should and shouldn't be a 'V' sound.
Beowulf Cadmus
Weigraf Folles -> His given name seems to be from the epic of Beowulf as well. The spelling seems off even in the kana.
Mustadio Bunansa
Barto Ludovichi -> I studied Italian for 3 years in HS, so I caught this fuck up real fast.
Volmarv Tingelle
Lofahr Wodring -> This guy is supposed to be demonic with a name like Loffrey?
Islude Tingelle
Cletienne D'Loix -> Totally French.
Rafa Galtenarra
Mileuda Folles
Balk Fendsor
Celia Ledde
Meliadoul Tingelle
Alma Beoulve
St. Ajora Glabados -> Should be Glebados, but it's one of those things that's too ingrained to change now.
Agrias Oaks
Bremont Freidberg -> This is clearly German.
Aliste Rosenheim
Gustav Margriff
Golagros Levigne
Feukes
Deisch
Biggs
Wedge -> I'm not sure if this was a fuck up or not, but come on! How can you have Biggs and not have Wedge?
¯\(°_0)/¯

Xifanie

April 10, 2009, 05:53:32 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Quote from: "Vanya"Cletienne D'Loix -> Totally French.
I can't let that one go. At all.

- D'loix isn't a french family name, there's has never been fancy shit like that in french names.
- Yes, Cletienne sounds french.
- From a french point of view, Cletienne would be 100% the name of a girl and 0% the name of a boy.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Sephirot24

April 10, 2009, 06:55:42 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Sephirot24
Quote from: "Vanya"I think it's silly to complain about it too much anyway.

That's why I didn't say anything on the "Final Fantasy: Complete" base patch. Cheetah is giving it the PSP's script.. but I didn't say anything because it's not something that affects gameplay, and we all have played the game enough times to understand the whole story (or most of it :S ).

But all in all I don't like it. I know it fits, and I know it was originally intended, but that doesn't make it more appealing to me. But then again, I said English isn't my first language so don't take me too seriously on this one.

Dome

April 10, 2009, 07:06:49 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dome
Im italian so no one will care of my opinion...But psp version of the game is truly unreadable.
I've never had problems in understanding english...until that day: the day I bought it.
I feel asleep after 5 second trying to translate it.
FFT for psx is "old fashion language" but still readable...WOTL is shit.
I agree with Asmo X...Fully agree.

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Kaijyuu

April 10, 2009, 07:13:03 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
I think both are terrible.

It needs a new translation. By someone who knows what the hell they're doing.
  • Modding version: PSX

boomkick

April 10, 2009, 08:24:18 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by boomkick
It needs a parody revision so that it will utilize WOTL's stupid language into stupid funny launguage.

Vanya

April 10, 2009, 09:05:51 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Quote from: "Zodiac"
Quote from: "Vanya"Cletienne D'Loix -> Totally French.
I can't let that one go. At all.

- D'loix isn't a french family name, there's has never been fancy shit like that in french names.
- Yes, Cletienne sounds french.
- From a french point of view, Cletienne would be 100% the name of a girl and 0% the name of a boy.

That's the thing, though. I don't think that all the names were necessarily supposed to be real world names.

I think a lot was lost between the Japanese writers trying to make names sound French, Spanish, etc., and the translators being clueless.
It isn't a new thing, either.
They've been screwing things up since Final Fantasy 1.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Vanya

April 10, 2009, 09:07:55 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Quote from: "boomkick"It needs a parody revision so that it will utilize WOTL's stupid language into stupid funny launguage.

How about a "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" styled script.
¯\(°_0)/¯

KazeKasano

April 10, 2009, 09:23:48 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by KazeKasano
Quote from: "Vanya"
Quote from: "boomkick"It needs a parody revision so that it will utilize WOTL's stupid language into stupid funny launguage.

How about a "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" styled script.

That.... sounds beautiful.

Be sure to include dialogue about stats and skills.
Also reference a d20 somewhere.
We will build cities in a day, we will build towers to the heavens. We will be heroes.
This sleeping city doesn't know what's coming. She doesn't feel the heat.
Even when the darkness surrounds us, we shall light up the night.

Dominic NY18

April 11, 2009, 12:17:20 am #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dominic NY18
Hmmm...

I stopped seriously reading after the first post. Whatever your opinion of the PSP script, it damn sure isn't worse than the PSX script. Not much more to say, since I see no examples of the criticisms.

*shrugs his shoulders in a nonchalant manner*

Tea

April 11, 2009, 02:55:09 pm #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Tea
If you think this script is unreadable, read English literature. It's worse.