• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

[MAP] Castle Vergilius

Started by lirmont, September 12, 2013, 06:04:24 am

lirmont

Castle Vergilius

A replacement map to go with the effects! Now that the water of the previous map is an endless fall, perhaps a flurry of bats will show up to the event?

Mobius

Looking good.
Although how can it be lit up like that when it's as shut as a coffin?
The doors are the brightest, are they the light source?

Almost HD, even, in the tiles. I wonder if this will clash with the rest of the styles you got?

This is my suggestion. Several of these on the walls for a spooky and overall awesome effect. Doesn't matter what the shape of the windows are or the size, as long as there's windows.

Or torches on the walls, like Zelda. It depends on what you want this for, however.

Now everyone sit down, relax and have a good damned cup of tea.
Then go out into the forest and see the stars.

Then come back and realize it's pointless to be so worked up over what's meant to be our hobby.
That should be my motto here, holy s

lirmont

I just haven't simplified the texture yet; it seems easier to me to line stuff up on a really detailed image during geometry-to-texture UV mapping. It will get posterized into less colors, a more muted theme, and less detail soon. I'd do windows, but there aren't supposed to be any (not in control of source material for Jot5). And, yes, the doors are also where the light sources will be (torches). I just haven't be able to minify something that looked believable as a torch yet. Check out near 24:00 of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV6FfPVl2Io&list=PLBACECACC4679D037

Thanks.

3lric

This is looking awesome Lirmont, my ONLY concern is that the west portion of the map is not elevated, so the jump/shooting loses some of its effect.

Unless you had something in mind for this.
  • Modding version: PSX

lirmont

It's not as elevated, but going towards the upper door will still result in the character needing to go up. This particular map starts lower than the one it replaces, but it ends up at the same height on the end. In other words, the elevation is evened out over the whole map. Another thing you might not notice until there's a shot really up close is that this map also curves towards the viewer (to the bottom edge of the first picture and to the lower right corner of the second picture). So he'll be needing to go closer to the screen and then farther away (to make it back to the bridge). Jumping over an endless pit of doom might be more heroic than jumping over a moat-thing filled with water, too!

3lric

Haha, you are right, I didn't notice that at all. I figured you already had it all worked out in your noodle somehow though. Can't wait to see it, especially given you'll have many less limitations than I did by making it in FFT, being that I have to call effects so far apart in order for them to move, and they derp the camera.
  • Modding version: PSX