• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:10:22 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Bars

Started by lirmont, October 15, 2011, 02:22:10 pm

Kivutar

Hi Choto.
Thank you for your proposal.

I'm about to leave to India for 1 month. So I won't be able to work on tethical for a while. But I can spend some time on the forums to get you started.

Do you know how to use Git?

Anyway, having a team member who can contribute to the code and understand ASM in the same time would be a plus for some tricky parts of the project (like coding the artificial intelligence).

Tell me more about what you like to code please.

(And yes, you need to know Python and Panda3d API well to understand the code and contribute to it)
Tethical, an online FFT clone

Choto

January 29, 2012, 08:57:47 am #81 Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 12:02:44 pm by Choto
Hey Kivutar,

Sadly, I don't know python whatsoever, so I can't really contribute to coding unless I can pick it up pretty easily, nor do I know Panda3d API. Even my knowledge of ASM is quite limited. I can see how the game handles some routines and may be able to provide descriptions of what original FFT does, but i'm not nearly as skilled as the ASM'ers of FFH. I'm not exactly sure what Git is either. I am a decently quick learner, so I may be able to pick things up. I'm good at asking questions ^_^

Thus far, I've downloaded blender, panda3d, the tethical UI, and the sprite animator tool, although the UI and sprite animator won't open for some reason (Windows XP). I messed around with blender a bit to learn how it works... its a little awkward at first but i'm getting there, I made a couple little maps just messing around.

I wrote down a list of FFT mechanics as well as ideas for future development. I'm sure you have considered most things, but I thought it may be beneficial to start a thread listing these ideas/mechanics. This would also be a thread that people could post in with their ideas so that you guys can decide what you would like to implement. I tried to thumb through Aerostars Battle Mechanics guide, as I thought I saw you or Lirmont mentioning that you were unfamiliar with it, and took down whatever info would be relevant.

Let me know where you think I can be helpful, I realize at this stage of development coding is a pretty big thing and my lack of knowledge hinders my ability to contribute. Do you know any tutorials of python that I could at least take a look at the structure? I'll look into this in the meantime.

Edit: I found a good tutorial at http://docs.python.org/tutorial/introduction.html , it looks like its not too far off from other programming languages, but to be honest I doubt I can tackle learning this during my school semester. Perhaps after having taken C++ and JAVA, it will be easier for me to learn python. Anyway, let me know if theres any other way I can be of use if coding is above my head.