• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:24:05 pm

[MAP] Range

Started by lirmont, June 06, 2011, 03:30:22 pm

lirmont

"Range" (54x46)

Download "Range"
(note: the map description file was generated by a program I wrote which doesn't have support for scaled slopes, so only heights of non-scaled slopes are correct at the moment)

Kivutar

Wow! This map looks awesome.

I will test it tomorrow.
Tethical, an online FFT clone

RandMuadDib

Holy balls this map is huge
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

GeneralStrife

Holy Saint Mary, what a map.

dinosaur

These large maps always give me boners.

Kivutar

This map shows two bug in the engine:
- the camera range is not enough
- when moving to the other side of the map with the cursor, the camera is too slow.

This reminds me that in FFT, the camera move only if needed. Even when centering on a character, if this character is at a edge of a map, the camera does not focus on the character itself to keep showing a larger part of the battle. I would like to implement the same behaviour in tethical. Do you know if that type of scrolling has a name?

Pickle Girl Fanboy

Quote from: dinosaur on June 06, 2011, 08:22:23 pm
These large maps always give me boners.

Boners?  Multiple?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_camera_system

QuoteThere is a large body of research on how to implement a camera system[10] . The role of a constraint solver software is to generate the best possible shot given a set of visual constraints. In other words, the constraint solver is given a requested shot composition such as "show this character and ensure that he covers at least 30 percent of the screen space". The solver will then use various methods to try creating a shot that would satisfy this request. Once a suitable shot is found, the solver outputs the coordinates and rotation of the camera, which can then be used by the graphic engine renderer to display the view.[11]

There are other goodies on that wikipedia article.  Hope that helps.

Kokojo

Personnaly, too huge.
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

Zaen

Maybe this would be more reasonable if you controlled 30-40 units per team. :P

Still amazing, though.
"Oh, God!! The Hokuten!!" ~Guard, Sand Rat Cellar

Kagebunji

I am not fan of the huge size of map either, but there is this idea I had. What if both sides were riding Chocobos? Increase the move of chocobos by 2 as well to make it faster, and bam, perfect place for some war battle(beginning of war of the lions...?).
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

lirmont

Also, nothing that says you have to start on extreme opposite ends. You could start near each other in the middle. I know I like options when I run away like a little bitch.

RandMuadDib

Increase range of bows or spells, making them actually useful?
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

Kagebunji

Bad idea, Rand. Increasing it would make it increased for smaller maps too, which would make it OP, imagine Sagittarius with such incredible range on some small map, lol.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Dome

If you have to manually control EACH unit...battles would last ages xD

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Pickle Girl Fanboy

You could set clocktick limits.  You could set victory conditions that will never exist in vanilla.  You could have good AI.

Kivutar

4 large teams with chocobos, archers and summoners + clocktick limits would be nice on this map.

But I agree that the battle would take ages.

I'm fan of the official-like maps.

dinosaur

I would eventually love to test it out and see how playable it is...

MysticKnightFF5

...this map would be excellent for a 2v2v2v2 (note, that's 2 individual players with 5 units each)
Really, I could see tethical being useful for all out wars.