• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:54:51 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Chapter 2 Progress Log

Started by 3lric, August 20, 2013, 06:52:12 pm

Xifanie

Players can divulge any information they want to each other; it just won't be us doing it. We don't want to ruin anyone's experience.
I don't know if wikia has a function for spoilers, you might want to use that if you want. But anyone using a wiki should be ready to expose themselves to spoilers.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Nyzer

QuoteSo any hopes that you guys will release growth rates along with the chapters?

I can only speak for myself (so this might be shot down), but... I don't see why not, for playable Jobs that have been unlocked by then. Though I certainly wouldn't be showing anything until after players had had a chance to PLAY the chapters.
I will say that no growth rates for playable Jobs in Ch. 1 have changed from the release so far, unless it happened before I got here.

QuoteAwesome! Dante is gonna be a beast lol.

I'm quite pleased with what Dragoons ended up getting, personally. :D (Helps that I chose the skills, of course.)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

RJ Cid

I was a little busy these past few days, so I apologize for the late responses on the last set of things I brought up...

First off, I remember now that Alicia, Rad, and Lavian are already in the game. I haven't played Jot5 in a while, so I apologize for the slight ignorance of my suggestion.  ;)

Secondly, I worded my suggestion about Agrias incorrectly, which is also my bad. I meant to say it would be nice if she had a more versatile skill set on top of her Holy Sword set instead of a more powerful one. I agree she is one of the more broken characters from vanilla. I mentioned modding Orlandu's skill set because he had more skill slots -OR- if you were to give her his skill set, add heavy restrictions on damage and/or MP Cost. I don't mind balancing at all, it's more about seeing her skills grow over the time that's passed in the story, and I wouldn't oppose the nostalgia of wrapping 3-4 specials into one character. Her extra abilities could be along the lines of simple skills from other classes, just to add options to her skill set. (if you wanted to bulk up the MP Cost for her original skills, I could get behind that too)

As for the infinite item hack suggested, I meant it to be far later in the game, if it was even possible in the first place. That point in CH4 when money is extremely plentiful and the sole reason you run out of items is because you smack your forehead and say "Dang! Should've hit the Shop and restocked before this battle!" It's a mild annoyance far late in the game, so I was just curious about the possibility and suggested it. That's all.

The new sprites look bad-ass! I will continue to make suggestions as they come to me, but I ultimately trust the decisions of this team in making this great game. As always, thanks for all your hard work. :mrgreen:

Nyzer

May 31, 2016, 01:20:08 pm #283 Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 04:49:03 pm by nyzer
Agrias' skillset already has some pretty good versatility to it, though. Instant, varied elemental, ranged, AoE attacks that can inflict status effects? That takes care of quite a lot. She's also not restrained by the former Swords Only restriction, either.

Any more and we'd run into the problem of encouraging players to stay in her base Job all day long. I've seen posts from Raven commenting that the Five have the skillsets they do because he did expect that to happen with them, but that shouldn't be the default rule for every character ever. Anything Agrias lacks, she can easily pick up just in the second tier of Jobs - Knight, Ranger, Priest.

And honestly, that's the philosophy I tried to stay with when I put together the skillsets for the new Jobs in later chapters. Give the characters their niche and run with it - don't worry about versatility, because that's not the point.

That's not to say there aren't some characters with varied skillsets, because there are. But that's either because they already had them to begin with, or because their skillsets were fairly restrictive before. Gaffgarion's a good example of a character who'd get that kind of redesign, because he was just using Night Sword and Dark Sword before. Not that they're bad skills. But two skills can hardly be called a skillset.

RJ Cid

I agree. I had the same notion about Mustadio, hoping that maybe a few 'Tools' would come into play similar to Edgar from FFVI. I'm not suggesting that for this mod. After seeing him in the Worker 8 armor, I figured I better leave this team to it's own devices.

I can't suggest too much anyways. There's already far too much to look forward to as it is.  :twisted:

Has anyone suggested a prequel mod about Balbanes during the 50 Years War? He could be accompanied by Larg and Goltana, all three of which could be brand new special classes. If I'm not mistaken, before they fought each other in the Lion War, they were both generals under the same banner.... you know what... let's root for Jot5 for now. Maybe some other time...

KingUrameshi

Quote from: RJ Cid on May 31, 2016, 04:25:05 pm
Has anyone suggested a prequel mod about Balbanes during the 50 Years War? He could be accompanied by Larg and Goltana, all three of which could be brand new special classes. If I'm not mistaken, before they fought each other in the Lion War, they were both generals under the same banner.... you know what... let's root for Jot5 for now. Maybe some other time...

It would be an interesting mod to see the job system and the buy skills models replaced with premade characters that had set classes and skill sets. Focused less on customization and more on story, strategy and sprites. A more linear FFT where map exploitation and strategy are key instead of OP skills.
You have allies... Friends that would risk their lives, and I am one of them.

3lric

It was something that was kicked around for a while in the New Project Ideas section. However, at the risk of sounding a bit condescending or egotistical, a mod like that would require at a BARE MINIMUM, Xifanie and myself. Since we are really the only ones who do the level of work that we do in our respective fields of modding (though I would LOVE for someone to come and prove me wrong)  I would say that it could be a future project, but my current Project Order goes as follows:

00) Re-release
01) Chapter 2
02) TLW (while Ch3 is scripted and finalized for eventing)
02a) FFT - FF7 mod (if Ch3 isn't ready for eventing by the time I've finished my portion of TLW, the storyboard is already written for the FF7 mod, so it could really be anytime that I have freetime)
03) Chapter 3 (Still takes priority over 2a)
04) Chapter 4
05) King of Ivalice
06) King of Ivalice
07) King of Ivalice
08) King of Ivalice
09) King of Ivalice
0A) King of Ivalice

Tempest

Hello!

Im a fan that has been observing from a distance for a long time now, have not actually played chapter 1 as i am waiting for the re release. However i have watched hours and hours of gameplay on the internet and wanted to make sure i took the time to tell you guys what an excellent job you've done. Final fantasy tactics has always been my favorite game of all time. I have wanted for years for them to release a worthy sequel to the masterpiece that the game was. This is by far the closest anybody has come in my opinion. It says a lot when a mod can surpass by far any attempt at a reboot from square enix developers.

I check this thread at least 3 times a week to see if the progress log has changed at all, is there any chance at all we can get some kind of update? Trust me im not the type to want to rush or bother you guys with such an awesome project. I'm just excited for its release and just like any other great game. Last i see the progress log was updated was November 3rd of last year  :shock:

Keep up the great work, everyone that is a part of this project should be extremely proud of what you've done. Very hard to do something like this right!

3lric

Thank you Tempest. I apologize that the actual OP of the progress threads haven't been updated recently, but you can find many updates and such by reading the last few pages of either thread.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, and we will do our best to answer. As long as it's not spoiler related.

Tempest

After having made an account on the forums i did more digging and found out plenty, thank you.

I only really have one question, From the gameplay i have witnessed and the reading I've done.. I have not seen anybody use any players other than the 5 and main story characters. Is it still possible to recruit and name your own characters? I imagine if that was removed it was either story relevant or for space for further modding?

3lric

Sure! You can still get new recruits from the Soldier Office in the current release. As for the re-release, we will be introducing the Soldier Office Upgrade Hack by Xifanie.

This will allow you to purchase units other than squires, based on your progress in the game you'll also be able to purchase monsters and even increase the price of the unit you are buying to get them better stats!

Nyzer

QuoteI have not seen anybody use any players other than the 5 and main story characters. Is it still possible to recruit and name your own characters? I imagine if that was removed it was either story relevant or for space for further modding?

It's always been possible, yeah. I picked up a high Faith female unit with good compatibility with Snake for Move! abuse and easy resurrection in my playthrough.

QuoteI check this thread at least 3 times a week to see if the progress log has changed at all, is there any chance at all we can get some kind of update? Trust me im not the type to want to rush or bother you guys with such an awesome project. I'm just excited for its release and just like any other great game. Last i see the progress log was updated was November 3rd of last year  :shock:

Most of what I've been doing is helping get everything set in stone so we can be prepared to go into Ch. 2, 3, & 4 without worrying about needing to remake and reorder a lot of stuff as we do it.

For example, we know exactly how many skills we need for all the new party members in future Chapters, and we've got all the skillsets chosen for the (current) storyline bosses. We've actually got seven active ability slots remaining right now.

Our Ultimate Items topic in the staff forum is almost complete... as much as we can for the time being anyway, since we haven't yet established all our sidequests beyond Ch. 1 (many of which drop the unique synthesis materials for the Ultimate Items).

I've gone over a lot of Tactext stuff. One thing I can comment on there is that I've reworked the status infliction descriptions - now, if a skill doesn't have a 100% chance of proccing a status infliction with its damage/healing, the proc chance is listed in the status. If a skill has multiple potential inflictions, it's noted whether it's Add All, Add Any, or Add One. An example of that is Dante's Mustang now says "20% Add: Paralyze" instead of just "Random Add", while Cloud's Finishing Touch says "Add One: Dead, Petrify, Stop" instead of just "Add".

We're still working on reshuffling the abilities - there are several considerations there that require some of them to be closer to the top of the list, and it also makes things easier on us if for example all the new skills are together instead of just scattered across the entire 300+ regular action ability slots.

And that's not counting any of the stuff that others are working on. Elric, Xifanie, Twin, Choto, and others all work on things that I can barely even understand right now.

Tempest

Quote from: Elric on June 03, 2016, 10:34:58 pm
Sure! You can still get new recruits from the Soldier Office in the current release. As for the re-release, we will be introducing the Soldier Office Upgrade Hack by Xifanie.

This will allow you to purchase units other than squires, based on your progress in the game you'll also be able to purchase monsters and even increase the price of the unit you are buying to get them better stats!

Makes me so happy to hear this, while i love what you all did with the 5; i still will want to switch things up at some point. And the variable to make the characters even better and get monsters is an awesome touch.

The refined descriptions, and especially the tweaked stats of the enemy monsters is really what makes this feel like a proper extension of the classic gameplay we love. More challenge and content done correctly and balanced nicely. Modding maps to give things a new feel im so excited to get my hands on the re release and ch.2.

Do the hirable soldiers and characters have the original portraits and sprites or are they updated and new also?

3lric

Nearly every generic sprite in Jot5 is custom

Tempest

Cannot wait. Every answer is more impressive than the last >.<

arbar99

Without insinuating any expectations, would appreciate an update on the progress which the more layperson fans like myself could understand?

Cheers, Ari

3lric

There's nothing here that you cannot understand as long as you can read, lol.

Just read the most up to date threads and you'll see plenty of updated info on progress

Mudvayne

Any comment on as to whether either the ch1 re-release or ch2 will be playable by the end of the year? You guys have made something quite incredible here and words cannot explain my excitement to finally get to play the re-release and ch2!

3lric

July 17, 2016, 03:01:20 pm #298 Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 03:13:47 pm by Elric
As has been previously mentioned, we are currently waiting on several tools of Xifs to be finished, i cannot say how long those will take, because i dont know. Lol

We are still doimg things in the meantime, but we cant make a release without those things being done.

rck2120

Can anyone tell me how to get the mod journey of the 5? What all do I need to play it. Never done mods before but I love fft and love the concept of this and really would like to play. So please a step by step or any help at all will help... thank you