• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:16:18 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

ASM Hack Proposals (for modders and ASMers)

Started by Xifanie, August 14, 2014, 05:30:56 pm

Timbo

• Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Timbo

Jumza

4! This is incredible Xifanie, absolutely incredible :)
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Xifanie

September 19, 2014, 10:52:17 am #62 Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 07:23:49 am by Xifanie
Coded:

• Text for the new opening dialogue

• Text on no recruit currently available

• Text for the new menu

• Gradual Bonus JP distribution

Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

TristanBeoulve

"There is blood on my hands, how long till it lies on my heart?"

Snap006

I have a suggestion for monster recruitment.

You should only be able to recruit monsters in towns/cities around where those monsters usually appear.

Example: Cities/towns around Zeklaus Desert should only be able to recruit bombs/bull demons, Lake Poescas should only be able to recruit behemoths/undeads.

Also, when the deep dungeon is unlocked, then you should be able to recruit, Apandas, Ultima Demons, etc.

Snap006

Don't mean to double post, but just thought of something.

How about taking one of the unused movement abilities and making an ability that when equipped lights up the deep dungeon.

TristanBeoulve

Quote from: Snap006 on September 19, 2014, 02:23:19 pm

How about taking one of the unused movement abilities and making an ability that when equipped lights up the deep dungeon.

That would be pretty cool.
"There is blood on my hands, how long till it lies on my heart?"

Xifanie

Quote from: Snap006 on September 19, 2014, 12:50:35 pm
I have a suggestion for monster recruitment.

You should only be able to recruit monsters in towns/cities around where those monsters usually appear.

Example: Cities/towns around Zeklaus Desert should only be able to recruit bombs/bull demons, Lake Poescas should only be able to recruit behemoths/undeads.

Also, when the deep dungeon is unlocked, then you should be able to recruit, Apandas, Ultima Demons, etc.

That's nice and all,  but that's your idea. It's kinda pointless to give any such suggestion here, because I'm making the tool for modders, I'm not building some unflexible crap. (You should be able to tell from my screenshots)
I also really doesn't help that story mods might use this; then down the drain goes your suggestion.

Quote from: Snap006 on September 19, 2014, 02:23:19 pm

Actually, you did mean to double post. Otherwise you would've used the edit button.

That's the only thing this can make me think of:

Story mods tend to completely get rid of the deep dungeon because the map darkness is such a fucking boring feature. I'd rather just have the maps start up lit rather than using my Unit's Ki/Chi in their feet to light up the room. I can't even tell what your idea was since you didn't even give the ability a name to understand why it would be doing that.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

Snap006

I was thinking more of the lines of Darkvision spell from dungeons and dragons. I didn't necessarily have to be a movement ability. I just mentioned them because I knew there were a few not used. I can see where I made it sound a little confusing.

DuxorW

Xifanie, this soldier office hack looks awesome and I can't wait to use it. I love how customizable it is.

As a suggestion for a potential hack, it would be nice if reflect didn't suck so much. It would be nice if it acted the way it does in other ff games, like a counter magic hamedo, where the spell is reflected back at the caster. I'm only posting it here because it seems like it would have broad appeal, so I apologize if I'm in the minority, or if it is really unfeasible...

Angel

I've always thought it should behave that way, honestly. Can't remember if it was looked into or not.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Choto

I tried looking into this awhile ago and came up empty, but I've learned alot since then and I think I can make it happen. But as always, the question is when :(

Xifanie

Updated the main post with the Reflect hack idea~

And I don't think I could personally do it. I never touched reaction abilities before, know other people have, so I'd honestly rather leave that to them.

DuxorW

I had actually forgotten that there was a reflect reaction ability that doesn't do anything. I was just referring to the way the reflect status effect works.

Vanya

Yeah. The "Reflect" ability should just give the user the status. Then the status would be much easier to deal with if it just hit the caster instead of calculating a new square to DEFLECT to which is what it actually does now.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Xifanie

Now, I don't even see how you could easily edit the Reflect status to do that and be worthwhile.
I don't know about you guys, but I fucking love the ninja tricks the AI pulls with reflect. It's astounding.

The AI will just be like: "Well, the spell is going to bounce back on me and hurt me; guess I won't do that then!" Unless you code the AI to be stupid about it, which sounds like a lot of work.

And the reaction just adding the reflect status? My gosh that's boring.

Then again I don't mess with formulas/reactions and I'm sure someone like Choto could enlighten us more on the subject.

DuxorW

Even though I was only referring to the status, I do like Xifs idea about the reaction ability. Of course, the AI doesn't pay attention to reaction abilities so it would be imbalanced towards the player. However, if the reaction is like a magical hamedo but requires reflect status in order to be activated at Br% chance, then that balances it better. Except the AI is often reluctant to cast reflect to start with.

Maybe the reflect status could be left alone and the reflect reaction could act like a magical hamedo and directly target the caster?

Choto

QuoteI don't know about you guys, but I fucking love the ninja tricks the AI pulls with reflect. It's astounding.

First of all, this. The AI doesn't do alot of things well, so we shouldn't take away from what they already can do well.

Also the reaction adding reflect status... sorry but it does seem boring. However, we could make the reaction reflect a spell back at the caster based on some other amount... like W-Ev*Constant for a spellblade ability... or S-Ev for a magic knight type ability. The only tricky part would be if the game already uses the reflect R/S/M's slot for the reflect status proc, which FDC has shown me is so. Should be doable down the road.

Xifanie

September 23, 2014, 07:12:18 am #78 Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 07:23:27 am by Xifanie
All done coding.
Now, I'll be taking feedback one last time before testing on console and releasing help notes.

Here are the potentially final editable spreadsheets. Just to give you an overall idea:

Legend
Disabled: The function will not be used. If you cannot disable it on the config sheet, that means you can just manually disable it for all units anyway.
Passive: Does not consume points that could otherwise be used by other Active attributes. Ex: Let's say Brave Derandomization is Passive; a unit with Brave Derandomization will not gain more Active stat bonuses than someone else without it.
Derandomization: Helps push a stat towards its natural random limit. Ex: A unit with Faith Derandomization has a greater chance of reaching 70/70 Faith than one without.

And some screenshots of Bonus stats in action:

Angel

I'm so impressed that I have no idea what to say... *_*

It just goes so far above and beyond expectations. And you know how amazed I always am by your work. 8D
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?