• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Poach and Equip Change: Innate across the Board?

Started by LastingDawn, November 23, 2008, 11:15:50 pm

LastingDawn

November 23, 2008, 11:15:50 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
As it stands, Poaching now plays a very large part in the game's loot system, and has been suggested to be innate on all of Rad, Ramza, and Gafgarion's classes. This will allow a more unique feel, and also since they are hunters of a trade, I'd see no reason for them Not to Poach.

Second is the idea of ShadedOne on IRC, he came up with the idea to give Equip Change to all of Ramza and Rad's classes. Now this will be very quite effective! the AI might not know how to use it, but the player might Actually see a use for it, with Rad's rather large weaponry choice, as well as Ramza's varied list as well.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Archael

November 23, 2008, 11:16:46 pm #1 Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 11:17:05 pm by Archael
agreed here

especially because some jobs might get gear breaks which are better than the Knight's old ones

KazeKasano

November 23, 2008, 11:17:00 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by KazeKasano
Sounds impressive!
We will build cities in a day, we will build towers to the heavens. We will be heroes.
This sleeping city doesn't know what's coming. She doesn't feel the heat.
Even when the darkness surrounds us, we shall light up the night.

The Damned

November 23, 2008, 11:39:05 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
I generally concur, I'm just a bit weary on both fronts:

• With regards to Innate Secret Hunt, this means that Undead monster lose their primary "advantage" (outside of Innate immunity to Poison and Death Sentence) in that they can get back after dying. I know that not every attack will poach, but you probably won't have to really go out of your way to poach things since you're trying to kill them anyway. This is only really a problem if you care about monsters, which you may not, understandably.
  • With regards to Innate Equip Change, my chief worry is what you said: that the AI doesn't know how to use it (or at least refuses to). I feel that any universal mechanic that only the player can make use of has a great chance of being overpowering, even with the turn you give up. That said, seeing as how Rad and Ramza will probably be (greatly) outnumbered in all battles and Gafgarion probably does need Equip Change (same with Lavian, maybe, and possibly other Guests), I can see why [on top of no one really using Equip Change].

That said, all I can do is say that I agree right now since the game is so far from being a finished product.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Archael

November 23, 2008, 11:43:06 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "The Damned", seeing as how Rad and Ramza will probably be (greatly) outnumbered in all battles and Gafgarion probably does need Equip Change

exactly

the AI might not be able to use it

but the AI will always control many more units and power than the player in this mod

Equip Change can be one of the more subtle ways the player can get an edge

The Damned

November 23, 2008, 11:47:04 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
It's not the edge part that I'm worried about. It's the amount of an edge, really.

I mean, in my patch, I'm giving everyone Innate Defend even though the AI apparently doesn't know how to use that (I could have sworn that they did...). That's hardly game-diluting, though, since AI still has access to Defend in other ways and Defend is only as powerful as evasion, a lot of which I will cutting down significantly with regards to certain types of equipment. (I see you, Rods and Mantles.)

The fact that Equip Change generally allows you to change your entire set-up if you want is what worries me. If it you were only allowed to change one piece of equipment via Equip Change, then I would probably feel "better" about it personally, though I'm sure people would see that as unnecessary.

Oh well. It's a wait-and-see type thing.

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Archael

November 23, 2008, 11:52:56 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
you are worrying way too much

it's equip change

it will allow you to spend a turn changing your gear, maybe to something that protects better vs what you're up against

yes

but it's not like it suddenly triples your characters effectiveness vs your enemies, or magically allows you to equip things outside of your job

if it required no turns to use, then I would understand your massive concern

but again, it's just equip change

dwib

November 24, 2008, 12:38:00 am #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by dwib
innate equip change is an awesome idea for this patch

innate poach is an awesomer idea

boomkick

November 24, 2008, 12:52:37 am #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by boomkick
Well, I agree completely with Innate Equip Change, but not so much with Innate Poach.

Innate Poach (like said before) has the amazing effect of permanently putting down undead's without them reviving. And, of course, if everyone has access to Poach, then it may be easier to get Rare items or the sort. Innate Poach allows the player to put a monster out of commission for the rest of the battle without the enemy having a chance to revive it.

Zaen

November 24, 2008, 12:57:49 am #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zaen
How about giving one of them Innate Poach? Then you only 33% get rid of the undead's revive ability, while still having an Innate Poach.
"Oh, God!! The Hokuten!!" ~Guard, Sand Rat Cellar

boomkick

November 24, 2008, 12:59:57 am #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by boomkick
Give Ramza Innate poach then?

LastingDawn

November 24, 2008, 01:09:34 am #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
There appears to be a misunderstanding... In Mercenaries shops stop upgrading after Chapter 1, and only become slightly upgraded again at the end of Chapter 3, this leaves you relying on mission rewards, stealing, and poaching, therefore Poaching becomes integral to the game's progression. Also it's impossible to give Poach to only Ramza, unless he is always a Mercenary, which would be rather annoying to have just to Poach.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

philsov

November 24, 2008, 01:50:28 am #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
this sounds like a really good idea, especially considering the the shop structure there will be.  

Regarding poaching, so long as the AI doesn't misuse Equip Change (like, change equipment instead of killing people), go for it.  Equip change in its current form costs too much, opportunity wise (no attack up!).  I will admit its an absolutely wonderful support ability in, say, Super Tact because your team is set in stone and you go against a variety of setups -- equip change allows you to flex to counter their setup.  My favorite move being equip changing into a cham robe after they get a holy charged onto them.  :lol:  However, in FFT (well, moreso vanilla than 1.3) theres less status to actively defend against and swap accessories around for, and usually a better way to spend the AT.  Plus a measure of prevention (balk = thief hat) is present.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

The Damned

November 24, 2008, 02:01:35 am #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
^ I'm pretty sure the computer can't use Equip Change at all, hence my caution.

Quote from: "Voldemort7"but again, it's just equip change

Well...you're mom's just equip change!

:x