• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Random Battle Opinions / Changes

Started by Elric, April 04, 2015, 06:43:44 am

Elric

Okay so, I'm working on some of the final things for the Ch1 re-release.

I know there have always been complaints from some people about the difficulty. Some of this is being countered by new ASMs and the way you receive JP, so most people should find the game easier with just that.

However, I know some of the random battles are ridiculously hard.

I would like you all to post what you think were the hardest Random battles. The ones that you come across and know you have to reset the game because there will be no way to beat it otherwise. I intend to make adjustments to these to make life a bit easier on you all.

Please don't post here about other game mechanics, only the random battles you think are too hard. I will take past info on the site into account with this and adjust them as such. If you decide to post with something that's not regarding random battles, be prepared to be point and laughed at, followed by a warning.

-Elric
  • Modding version: PSX

Zolias

Personally, I've only experienced one myself, but I HAVE seen a lot of posts about 2 specific Random Battles that have given people a lot of grief; the one I experienced is on the return trip towards Lionel Castle, at Barius Cliff, I believe it's called.  The 5 Lamia battle.  I saw it, said to myself 'Well, I'm screwed' and turned it off to get myself to relax after a little bit (I sometimes get engrossed in games, and that battle came after I dumbly forgot to save for a bit (feel free to point and laugh... looking at you, RoR!)

The second one, which I had the pleasure of somehow avoiding, is the multiple turtle group at the waterfall area (I forgot the name already; been a while since I last played.)  I kinda get the gist of it; multiple turtles, using earth attacks with massive AoE to damage your units, while healing any other turtle caught in the range.

Jumza

Yeah. The battles have strong monsters (or god forbid, human units) and there always appear to be a lot of them. One way you could reduce difficulty is to make more of the monsters randomly appear as opposed to having 5-6 always appear. You don't have to bring it down to Vanilla levels of easy where you could run into 1 goblin in mandalia plains, but 3 Lamia's will give people less of a stomach ache than 5.

Of course that adds kind of a randomized difficulty, so you might not want to do that. It's just an idea.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

TigerBlade

The multiple turtle group one!  I am ashamed to say that I had to do an obscene amount of Save State reloads using small-chance disables from Snake in order to beat that one.  I never ever just reset the game over a random battle, even if it takes me a million save states (like in this instance).

Just mixing up the team a little bit would have fixed that one for me.  The fact they could keep healing each other made it practically impossible.

KingUrameshi

I am doing a second run of chapter one and am concentrating on opening as many jobs as possible. I fear I might over level greatly to get some good skills and jobs. I am focusing on monk, knight and black magic and feel that these skills on multiple characters can make fights like the Lamia and Turtles possible.

The only problems I have run into is when the beast master is present and gives his allies reraise, regen, protect, shell or being turned to stone by squids. Maybe nerf that slightly (regen). Its very balanced outside some exclusive fights but the five of the same enemy battles are drawn out and boring and require immense grinding. I would like more strategic variety with weak enemy types supported by strategic allies and terrain settings which come together to present a challenge.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You have allies... Friends that would risk their lives, and I am one of them.

Advent

It has definitely been a while since I got my hands on Jot5, but I can't really remember any that were worth mentioning outside of the monster battles (Sweegy and Ganon). Ganon's dudes outright one shot me with Kotetsu. However, that being said, I was one of the guys that grinded (ground? not sure due to the context) like crazy because I wanted to see some of the new jobs in action. In a normal playthrough, I very seriously doubt I would have had that much trouble.

I actually kind of liked the turtle one. But, again, I'd done a lot of grinding and had some of the other jobs unlocked, which I don't think would be too practical for a normal playthrough if my memory is correct.

Jumza

That's true :P With more jobs and abilities unlocked the difficulty really went down. If you nerf random battles, I wouldn't make them too much easier.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Zolias

Quote from: Jumza on April 04, 2015, 02:37:33 pm
That's true :P With more jobs and abilities unlocked the difficulty really went down. If you nerf random battles, I wouldn't make them too much easier.

Makes sense.  Maybe the first area (I believe it's Barius Hill) should be a bit more of a training area, with some randomized units, and maybe at least a higher chance on human enemies appearing (they make great ability farms, for example, if you toy around with the last one as the others crystalize)

DaTruthDT

Personally I don't think the difficulty should be lowered. Especially if we're talking about random fights that aren't required to beat the game.

Most of the difficulty people face is nothing more than bad habits learned from "vanilla". Leaving the challenge in is good.

None of the randoms were overly imposing. I thought the story battles were much more challenging.

Of course I've beaten 1.3,  so my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt, I'm speaking for the minority I'm sure.

Pandemoniu

For me, although there were certain Random Battles that could get out of hand under certain circumstances, like the battle with the Beastmaster and Chocobo against those Skeletons, the only Random Battles that I can recall that seemed too hard are the two aforementioned ones against the 5 Lamias and Beastmaster, which I was able to complete right before I finished up the Chapter, and the 5 Turtles, which I never could get past and haven't tried since I failed.

With the penchant for enemies using Status Ailments in JOT5, a lot of battles can get out of hand by sheer unlucky chance, but those were the only two, once more, that I can recall, that gives that "reset" feeling upon coming across them.

On the contrary, I always liked that alternate battle to the Lamias, with Humans and those 3 Bombs that would behave as a distraction to some of them. I also really liked fighting that Beastmaster and Chocobo VS Skeletons with my own Chocobo.

xAltairSpartanx

I agree with both slightly changing the difficulty and keeping it the same. I feel that while it could be a bit too challenging maybe there could be a way to include both ideas. For example maybe make it so that you can read about these "hard challenges" and then when you go there you could either, be able to select the random or special fight (force a decision) or make some sort of "hunt" missions that can be accepted and then fought. That way they can be prepared for but could also provide an extreme challenge!!!

KingUrameshi

I think the Marks system is a great place for extreme challenge. With a LOT more marks it might make sense to lower the difficulty. I am still playing chapter one (restarted after I didn't like how my characters were turning out) and have unlocked a good amount of skills and still run into a problem about 40% of the time were I get my ass flat out handed to me. Working on barius valley now against more than three enemies.

The game would be extremely boring if most of the battles were easy though. As it stands now to get through the entire game (through chapter 4) would take a very long time due to battle difficulty.

Leonhart

I think with some boost on JP gain, the battles' difficult would be ok; except, maybe, for the 6 turtles and 5 lamias.

Another group of monsters that is really boring is the bomb group in Araguay Woods. You know, the black and blue bombs, with their aoe flames that heal and dmg, they usually endure A LOT. But, again, maybe the boost on JP gain would make it less boring.

The game is really good, u guys r doing a great work! And I really like that hard battles.

RayKamiya

I had this in mind and was thinking of the Rare random battles from Vanilla.

well what if you had Rare encounters involving some random non generic characters.

Like a random Divine Knight with his or her group in one of the battle fields or a random Holy or Dark knight and their party?

Sorta like little challenge battles you can run into XD.

Hyraldelita

Elric! Is it possible to restric just SOME random battles to higher lvls? like for example the 12 monks in the original FFT, i mean if you put the insane battle on like lvl 50-60 they should be more then wellcome by anyone no?

It's a pain in the start since you're not strong enough to face them but later one they will actually be very funny.

So it's not a better solution to keep those set of fights but restrict them on a higher lvl?

Elric

Random battles are opened via shop progression. (or story progression, I can't remember which) They are already setup that way.

Hyraldelita

September 15, 2015, 03:51:07 pm #16 Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 05:50:24 am by Hyraldelita
then it's perfect, just put the harder fight for the late chapter no? like at the end of chapter 2 i think it's already a good time to face some very hard battles^^

I love who decided to lower the gil amount in fight, but let enemy drops items, this make it more funny to grind some map for certain monster, and keep the money to buy other things^^ it's a genius idea.

Elric

Gil, not Zenny, lol.

The harder fights are already setup to be in later Chapters... All the Ch1 fights ARE the low tier fights.

KingUrameshi

Quote from: Hyraldelita on September 15, 2015, 03:51:07 pm
I love who decided to lower the zeny amount in fight, but let enemy drops items, this make it more funny to grind some map for certain monster, and keep the money to buy other things^^ it's a genius idea.

I am definitely a big fan of the use what you can get idea of equipment instead of buying the best gear. Gives a real challenge to the game to go in all rag tag and what not. I would still like to have the option of buying some great gear too.

Hyraldelita

ahhaha sorry, i played Ragnarok online too much lol  i said zenny cause of that ahah