• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:01:16 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Darkholme

Started by Darkholme, March 27, 2011, 02:54:43 pm

Darkholme

I've been playing FFT since it came out;
I was checking the ffhacktics site for a year; and was confused by all the links to a nonexistant forum, and just recently found the working forum.

I've done alot of spriting and texture making; for the games GraalOnline, Neverwinter Nights, and Warcraft III. I'm a university undergrad in his fourth year of computer science (mostly software design) with a minor in psych. I started in english so I'll be picking up a few credits in a fifth year.

I think the best FF Games are FF6 and FFT; and I haven't liked any of the FF games much after FFT that I've played.

Nowadays I only really play FFT on my modded PSP 2000; usually on the bus, or between classes, and I wouldn't want to haul out my PSX or a laptop. Though before I got the PSP I had collected all the supplies to mount a  sony camera battery on my psx and make a hardware mod to run it off the battery - for Tactics & LoM between classes. lol. FFT & the ability to run PSX games were the reasons I got my PSP.

Though I'm confused as to why everyone mods the PSX version instead of the WotL version; the WotL version has multiplayer; and seems to be easier to mod than the psx version, as it doesn't involve burning CDs; or the tedious process of wrapping a psx iso so it runs on psp.

Dome

The PSP version is slower and has a crap scrypt :-)
WELCOME TO FFH, WHERE ALL YOUR DREAMS may COME TRUE!

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Darkholme

Not saying the PSP Script is great; but compared to "We found out the treasure" and all the other bad translation in the original, I think it's okay. lol

Yeah the PSP version is slightly slower; but it has the two new special characters Balthier and Luso, and those amazing cell shaded cutscenes. (And Multiplayer). I dunno, to me it seems one downside and many upsides. If someone could fix that slowdown with spells, I think the PSP version would be better in every way. But fair enough, to each their own.

Thanks for the welcome! :)

I shall lurk and read about the asm hacking and look at the available tools and see what I can absorb, then see about doing some PSP Modding in a bit.

Oh - Sidenote; I've been chatting with Kivutar, and I'm getting involved in tethical, which looks pretty promising.

VampragonLord

Quote from: Darkholme on March 27, 2011, 03:56:54 pm
Not saying the PSP Script is great; but compared to "We found out the treasure" and all the other bad translation in the original, I think it's okay. lol

Yeah the PSP version is slightly slower; but it has the two new special characters Balthier and Luso, and those amazing cell shaded cutscenes. (And Multiplayer). I dunno, to me it seems one downside and many upsides. If someone could fix that slowdown with spells, I think the PSP version would be better in every way. But fair enough, to each their own.

We can edit the script, so script doesnt matter.
We can edit the characters, so new "special characters" dont matter.
We *cant* edit the cell shaded cutscenes, so they get in the way if anything.
Multiplayer is fairly limited, needing either a computer program synced to your psp, or friends who also have the game, throw in finding people with the same mod too, or the confusion of people playing different mods together?

It is just more feasible to edit the PSX version, and it is where the community started from.
15:05   slave: consensual slavery is the best thing ever~

Darkholme

We can edit the script, so script doesnt matter.
>>True.

We can edit the characters, so new "special characters" dont matter.
>>I thought that was rather limited. and there are supposedly problems making new jobs and skillsets. Am I mistaken?

We *cant* edit the cell shaded cutscenes, so they get in the way if anything.
>>Okay; I was saying they're nice in the unmodded game and the psx version lacks them. I would have thought disabling them would be easy enough if you're doing a story mod.

Multiplayer is fairly limited, needing either a computer program synced to your psp, or friends who also have the game, throw in finding people with the same mod too, or the confusion of people playing different mods together?
>>Maybe it would be a pain over the internet; but I know a handful of people with modded PSPs; and it would be painless to pass them the PSP Iso file.

It is just more feasible to edit the PSX version, and it is where the community started from.
>>Okay. :) Maybe I'll have to look into getting my PSX-to-PSP wrapper set up again so I can start getting involved with the PSX Hacking then.

Eternal

Welcome to FFH, where all your dreams come true!

Feel free to join us on chat! :D
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Darkholme

March 27, 2011, 09:35:10 pm #6 Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 09:35:33 pm by Darkholme
I actually can't seem to get onto the chat. I've been trying for a couple days now. I click the PJIRC Link at the top, and I get an Error (IRCApplet.class not found) and the app doesn't run.

Eternal

I suggest just going to mibbit.com, then.

Server is irc.esper.net and the channel is #FFH
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817