• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:40:50 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Eternal's Parted Ways Logs (It's not dead!?)

Started by Eternal248, May 09, 2011, 07:42:56 am

Eternal

• Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Kagebunji

• Modding version: Other/Unknown

Eternal

"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

Pickle Girl Fanboy

February 28, 2012, 06:45:34 pm #63 Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 05:51:31 pm by Pickle Girl Fanboy
Cut Beowulf's name from Aliste's line right there.  The commas don't work, and you won't hurt the dialog with a cut since everyone knows who he's speaking to.

QuoteRule 17. Omit needless words

Vigorous writing is concise.  A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts.  This requires not that the writer make all sentences short, or avoid all detail and treat subjects only in outline, but that every word tell.

/writefaggery

Eternal

I've run into a very large snag with Colliery- one which I have no idea how to deal with. Until I figure out what's wrong, I'm working on a fun new version of Chapter II's Barius Hill fight. Hope you like Balk, folks!

Pride

You never sent me the information so I could try and figure it out!
  • Modding version: PSX
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Eternal

Sent Pride the files needed to see what's up with this event.

In other news, Barbarians got a slight overhaul.

-Barbarians can now use Hats.
-Barbarians have lost Sight Unseeing, Heat of Battle, Howling Moon, Ravage, and Bonecrusher.
-Barbarians have gained Earthsplitter (Linear AoE Earth damage- think Earth Slash), Enmity (Berserk/Immobilize on adjacent enemies), Infuriate (+15 Fury on a unit), Blitz (Weapon damage around self), and Cleave (PA*WP damage and 100% cancellation of buffs)
-Sentinels have lost their own form of Enmity and gained Wall (Protect/Shell on a unit).
-Items are being given a new layout to more easily understand who can use what.

Eternal

I've decided to kind of "redo" PW, to remove some of the bugs and keep better track of what ASMs are being used. This won't affect you guys much though. In fact, it opens up room for some new stuff! The process shouldn't take too long at all.

-Swiftness has been nerfed to a solid +1 Speed.
-Several items have had their ALMA traits removed and been given new properties.
-Genji Glove and Cursed Ring are having their traits swapped. Genji Glove will now boost the weapon proc rate, and the Cursed Ring will boost the critical hit rate.
-Oil will work properly now... I hope. Float no longer grants a weakness to Wind.

New Support skills (thanks to Celdia and FFMaster!):

-Elementalist, which boosts all elements at the cost of 1 Move/Jump)
-Aquaphobia can now be used as an equippable skill. Although you won't be able to enter water, you'll get +1 Move/Jump.
-Warp is now Dark Passage, which grants Dark immunity as well as its old properties.
-Stormstride allows you to ignore the current weather and grants Thunder immunity.
-Earthen Step allows you to ignore the terrain and grants Earth immunity.
-Swim allows you to move freely in water and grants Water immunity.
-Frost Step allows you to move freely on water and grants Ice immunity.
-Hotfoot allows you to move on lava and grants Fire immunity.
-Levitate grants Auto: Float and also grants Wind immunity.
-Angel Wings allows you to fly and also grants Holy immunity.
-Equip: Bows is now Equip: Ranged, which allows you to equip Bows, Crossbows, and Guns.
-Equip: Shields is now Equip: Clothes, which allows you to equip Hats and Clothing.
-Equip: Swords is now Equip: Blades, which allows you to equip Daggers and Swords.
-Equip: Magicite is now Equip: Accessories, which allows you to equip any accessory.
-Equip: Spears is now Equip: Polearms, which allows you to equip Spears and Poles.
-Equip: Axes is now Equip: Cudgel, which allows you to equip Axes, Flails, Rods, and Staves.
-Equip: Guns is now Equip: Magegear, which allows you to equip Books, Instruments, Carpets, and Robes.

Expect more updates tonight!

The Damned

(Hunh.)

By horrible coincidence, I had considering the whole element thing tied to Movements myself just earlier today on my walk. However, this was theoretically in ways there were/are mostly different from yours and largely separate from the existing Movements.

That said, it isn't linking immunity to some of the Movements potentially problematic. For instance, won't everything and anything that can Fly now be immune to Holy as well?

Otherwise these look like interesting enough changes for the better.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Eternal

That's right, anything that can fly would be immune to Holy. I've shifted monster innates around enough so it won't affect too much though.

Barren

Can't for the next the update to be released! I know I said it before but I'm saying it again :)
You dare cross blades with me?

Eternal

And after months of updates... progress!

-Shinobi are gone. They're being replaced with Blue Mages. Gerard's base class will learn Blue Magic as well, but his will be a bit more advanced.

-Snipers are gone. They're being replaced with Corsairs. Corsair skills can buff or debuff the entire party. Probably won't use them, right? Well, they have a skill called "Card Counting". It has 4 Range, but only affects a single unit. It makes them immune to all debuffs... including those that can be landed by Corsair skills. So you can take your luck and try to buff your party from the get-go, or you can make a safer bet by using Card Counting on everyone first.

-Rafa and Malak's skillsets are being reworked. Rafa is becoming a more powerful White Mage-esque character, whereas Malak is focusing on total destruction and debuffing.

-Mustadio loses his gimmicky old skillset and gains Breaks, except for Weapon Break, Mind Break, Magic Break, and Power Break.

-Throw Meteor is making a triumphant return, but you'll have to go to END to find it...

-Phalanx status is now Veil status, which renders total immunity to all debuffs.

-Dark/Evil Looking status is now Curse status, which renders total immunity to buffs and makes a unit unable to React.

-Items now scale normally with story progression as was the case in Vanilla FFT.

-Many useable items are changed. In one of the riskiest changes I've ever made in my patchmaking, Potion no longer restores HP directly. Rather, it imbues Regen. That makes it harder to sandbag using items, and you'll need a Devout or another healer to help sandbag.

-Tortoises!

-Freelancers now get a basic skill from most generic jobs.

-Many skills are being updated or edited and many jobs are being given totally new skills to replace old ones. For example, Psions are getting a self-MP restoring skill (Meditation), Harbingers are getting a self-HP/MP sacrifice skill (Transfusion and Managift), and Brigands get the CCP-inspired (i.e, taken) Ambush skill.

As far as events go, I'm planning things out. I have a very good idea of how I want Chapter I to go, and how I want Lucavi fights to go. A timed Zalera battle is in the works, and each Lucavi fight has a gimmick, as I was planning in PW 2.0.

I want everyone to know that although I'm busy with work now and such, PW will always be being worked on. Always. It's by no means a small project, and I'm only one person. I'm rebuilding PW totally from scratch so that people can enjoy it without bugs or glitches, so I'm taking my time and planning everything out. It's ultimately a matter of seeing what will and won't work, which is why I can use all the feedback I can get.

Thanks!

Kagebunji

Quote from: Eternal248 on July 27, 2012, 11:34:31 pm
-Items now scale normally with story progression as was the case in Vanilla FFT.

Finally, I told you to do that like ages ago, but you of course won't listen to my wise advices :P

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: Kagebunji on July 28, 2012, 04:05:52 am
Finally, I told you to do that like ages ago, but you of course won't listen to my wise advices :P

I told him this ages ago too, he ignored everything I told him until he got the hard-feedback to basically prove everything I said.  :U

Lesson Learned: I'm always right.

The Damned

(*is now even more tempted to have (some) stuff not progress just to be contrary despite the difficulty*)

I'm guessing all these changes will be occurring (or have occurred) in the main patch for "PSX" rather than the "PSP" version that you're (still?) working on, correct?

And after months of updates... progress!

-Phalanx status is now Veil status, which renders total immunity to all debuffs.

-Dark/Evil Looking status is now Curse status, which renders total immunity to buffs and makes a unit unable to React.

-Freelancers now get a basic skill from most generic jobs.

Thief! [/hypocrisy]

*steals Curse preventing Reactions*

-Shinobi are gone. They're being replaced with Blue Mages. Gerard's base class will learn Blue Magic as well, but his will be a bit more advanced.

Difficult to go wrong with Blue Mages. Just remember to try not to make them obviate (the) monsters (that they're borrowing from). [/obvious "advice" you already know]

-Snipers are gone. They're being replaced with Corsairs. Corsair skills can buff or debuff the entire party. Probably won't use them, right? Well, they have a skill called "Card Counting". It has 4 Range, but only affects a single unit. It makes them immune to all debuffs... including those that can be landed by Corsair skills. So you can take your luck and try to buff your party from the get-go, or you can make a safer bet by using Card Counting on everyone first.

Hmmm...using "Veil" to make a Gambler-esque class worth-using is so obvious, but pretty ingenious. Congrats to both thinking of it and "overcoming" the targeting problem, though I'm assuming when you say "the whole party", you're just talking about allies, so that means the "problem" doesn't come up as much anyway.

Have you tested how the AI reacts to these "random" skills, though? I ask given the problems random skills have, especially since you got rid of Gadgeeter in your FFT:A patch and I'm not even sure if you flagged Corsair's skills as random.

-Throw Meteor is making a triumphant return, but you'll have to go to END to find it...

...Buh?

-Many useable items are changed. In one of the riskiest changes I've ever made in my patchmaking, Potion no longer restores HP directly. Rather, it imbues Regen. That makes it harder to sandbag using items, and you'll need a Devout or another healer to help sandbag.

-Tortoises!

I support both of these changes.

Are we privy to what monsters Tortoises are replacing though?

As far as events go, I'm planning things out. I have a very good idea of how I want Chapter I to go, and how I want Lucavi fights to go. A timed Zalera battle is in the works, and each Lucavi fight has a gimmick, as I was planning in PW 2.0.

Ugh. A timed battle? How the hell are you going to make that work? I mean, obviously you can't use the five-minute timer that FFXII uses, but even like a 30-minute timer might be too little depending on what Parted Way Zalera has, especially given his (type of) allies. You'd likely have to make the timer pause on every single animation, including movement and regular attacks, if you did anything less than an hour, which then seems kinda pointless.

I suppose you could maybe do it by number of total moves (for the party), but even that's kinda...iffy, especially if you're including uncontrollable Guest Meliadoul's actions.

Hmmm....

...Good luck.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Eternal

Throw Meteor was a placeholder skill in Throw Stone's slot that Freelancers had originally. It wasn't meant to stay, but so many people loved the WTFness of it that I pretty much have to keep it around in some form now. :P

I haven't tested the Gambler skills yet simply because they're not inserted in the Patcher yet. I know how I'll flag them and stuff, but they aren't fully inserted yet.

Tortoises are replacing Hydras.
Tonberries are replacing Uribos.
Lamias are replacing Birds.
Werewolves are replacing Minotaurs.

A timed battle would work by counting the number of turns a unit makes. It hasn't been fully ironed out yet, but I'm aiming for Time Magic to have a role in how fast/slow the countdown goes. I forget what Elric told me about it, but it'll be timed in some way.