• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:28:11 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Text Editing with WindHex

Started by overcold_ice, April 03, 2015, 05:20:31 am

overcold_ice

Since text editing is somewhat hard at the moment, and since I found  this page, I'm posting some stuffs that I've learned here.
So, to start with, WindHex is needed (obviously), or if you prefer other programs similar to it that supports .tbl files, then it's fine as well. You'll also need the table package downloadable here.

Basically, you just need to run WindHex, open the rom, open the .tbl file, and everything else is simple. Just hit Ctrl+F, find the text that you want to edit (just 1 or 2 keywords work most of the time if you searched less common words), after you find the correct text, and if you can read them all fine (no cutted words, or unreadable parts in it), you're fine editing it normally (otherwise, read below). Though, there are some guidelines in editing the text:

• Don't exceed the original text's length.

• The text must be ended with at least 1 '00' byte.

• If you edit a text that use 1-byte-characters, keep it as it is. And do note that you can't insert any spaces in it, spaces are only supported in 2-byte-characters format.

• If you want to edit a compressed text, you can do it by changing it to an uncompressed text. Just change the character '\compressed\' or '<$>' before the text to '$' (or directly change its bytes). The text then starts DIRECTLY after it.

• The package contains some files, read 'ffTast Std Read' if you want to know what the symbols in the other files mean.

Every possible credit goes to ffta707 for the original .tbl file. And to Edea for discovering a way to edit those sick-to-read compressed texts.

Also, if someone knows what \wfk\ stands for, or knows how to easily find compressed words, please do tell.

Ethereal Embrace

My current biggest issue with my game is that I can't edit text. So I hope I'll be able to figure this out.

Eternal

Using Goldfinger, the FFTA2 text table, and the spreadsheets, I was able to change a lot of text, including job names, job descriptions, item descriptions/names, skills descriptions/names, etc.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

FrozenDragon150

Hey Eternal, or whoever can answer this, with the available data and tools, is it possible to write names longer than the original?

citricking

Quote from: FrozenDragon150 on November 10, 2015, 07:40:27 pm
Hey Eternal, or whoever can answer this, with the available data and tools, is it possible to write names longer than the original?

Yes, but you have to change the pointer to that name also.
Check Rfh's work to see an example. Seer is changed to Sorcerer for one.