• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 03:31:21 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Final Fantasy Tactics: Kind Of PSX (Current version: 2.6, Updated: 10/23/16)

Started by Eternal248, March 29, 2012, 12:13:12 pm

Barren

Should I wait until you release the new patch before I continue my KO play through?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

Eternal

I would keep going. None of the changes are going to be substantial enough to change the course of the LP. :)
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Barren

Barren

Neophyte Ronin

Been going between Celdia's and this patch.

Since my Rad got Invitation from the start, I stubbornly recruited as many saps as possible.  He was basically my MVP despite being on a lower level than everybody else.

The Ramza progression fascinates me.  His Guts/Mettle gets a fresh coat of paint every few chapters, and it's nice to know Basic Skill's Dash and Throw Stone are weighted a little fairer.  Still, Levels might get out of whack; my initial cadets in Chapter 1 had to run over the Zeklaus Degenerator many times before reasserting themselves.

Virtually everything about this patch kicks lots of ass and it's just the faintest touches.

The last encounter was the initial Zalmo confrontation.  The guy is a beast, I swear.  I literally invited virtually every cohort of his and cornered him against the wall just aside the staircase with Agrias.

At that point, I started to really get tired and decided to see how Celdia's Patch had fared.  I remember when the Warrior still had the Charge/Aim Command Ability--not a bad idea, since the Squire Basic Skill used to suck, but the new version has things like Rallying and Provoking that sort of breaks things from day one--two Rallying Units spells hesitation on part of most monster parties.  Then again, that's Celdia's charm--not everything is meant to be balanced or fair, considering her style.  That's one of the drawbacks of the Kind Of patch: it's a general improvement over the original game but it doesn't appear to offer anything that is astoundingly new or innovative.  That's going to wreck its appeal for some.  Even so, I had fun with the time I had and I bet I'll go back to it later after Celdia's patch.

Eternal

Barren, thank you as always for your videos. You do a wonderful job and they're always fun to watch.

Neophyte, thanks for giving KO a playthrough! I definitely agree that CCP is for those who are looking for something zany, crazy, and over-the-top fun. CCP does a ton of fun things, and, frankly, the fact that not everything is balanced makes it even more fun, IMO.

KO is a more "serious" patch, by its very definition of being. KO was never meant to be extraordinary, break ground, be particularly creative, or over-the-top. KO is intended to be subtle, like a sharp knife to the gut that you don't feel until you're already bleeding out. For players who've only experienced Vanilla FFT, the new changes are enough to go "wow, that's cool!", but in such a way that it doesn't deviate from Vanilla's feel. In fact, many changes are so subtle that unless you're intimately familiar with FFT's mechanics, you wouldn't know they were there! For example, Protect/Shell lasting longer (making Priests and White Magic in general more viable), or monsters having Reactions other than Counter (making monsters more fun/viable and dangerous). I want KO to be the go-to Vanilla experience. Future updates will also (hopefully) have better descriptions and go more in-depth into FFT's mechanics in the hopes of being accessible to first-time FFT players as well. Sappy as it sounds, FFT was a big part of my childhood. Well, FFT and Castlevania: SotN. I want everyone to be able to experience it.

That is, perhaps, why I value input on KO more than anything, even if it's negative. I want the feedback of both experienced vets and newbies because, at the end of the day, I want KO to be fun for both groups.
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

Eternal

2.7 will be out soon. I had some time this weekend to work on it (and thankfully, they're not huge changes, so they don't take very long). Here are some of the changes to look forward to:

-Each fight starting at Zeklaus will have two pieces of equipment to be Stolen that are better than what can currently be purchased.

-Immortal status will be tweaked, meaning bosses will have different debuff affinities. The fights will be tougher to compensate, but debuffs will be more useful on them. For example, Zalmo is a pain in the ass with MBarrier, but in the next update you'll be able to debuff him to make him more vulnerable. In exchange, he may become slightly faster. That's just one example of one potential boss change.

-Fire/Fire 2/Fire 3/Fire 4 have been given +1 Vertical Tolerance.

-Fire 2/Ice 2/Bolt 2/Blind Rage can no longer be used with Math Skill. Instead, Fire/Ice/Bolt/Unction can be Math Skill'd.

-The last Degenerator trap was removed.

-Two Swords will only be usable with Daggers and Ninja Blades- not definite yet.

-Two Hands will only be usable with Swords and Katana- not definite yet.

-The AI will use Protect/Shell/etc. proactively.

-The AI will no longer use Jump to awaken their sleeping allies.

-The AI will properly see the range of Throw Item.

-Squires gain Yell, Cheer Up, and Scream (level 1).

-Protect/Shell/Wall's MP cost is decreased to 6.

-Cure's CT is decreased to 2.

-Holy's CT is increased to 5.

-Blind's MP cost is decreased to 6.

-Many spelling and grammar errors have been fixed. Many descriptions are being cleaned up and edited for grammar/spelling purposes.

Marche

Hey man can you upload a mirror of the hack? I can't seem to download it using this site. It just doesn't work. Thanks in advance! :)

Edit: I got it working in Chrome was using Firefox.. Weird bug O.o

Zero Dozer

I'm starting to consider giving KO a try, been some time since I last put the PSX functions of my PS2 to work.