• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:14:39 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Can you change effects of usable items?

Started by Ramza Beolve, November 06, 2017, 09:52:04 pm

Ramza Beolve

November 06, 2017, 09:52:04 pm Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 07:47:12 am by Ramza Beolve
 Coming from recently playing FFXIII- Lighting Returns i had an idea for items in tactics. I have been trying to make A "Protect Potion" out of an original potion. The effect im going for being fairly obvious from the name a potion that both heals and grants protect. I tried tinkering around with this idea and couldnt seem to get it to work and after searching the forum i cant seem to find anything helpful on the subject either anyone have any ideas?
  • Modding version: PSX
Scilence! Surrender now or die in obscurity

Ildon

Changing what items do is rather simple to an extent.  However, making an item both heal and bestow protect to a target may require an ASM hack.   

Step 1: Choose an item to replace/modify. 
Note: Remember that potion, hi-potion, x-potion, and elixir are used by the "auto-potion" reaction ability and as such if you change those items you will change how "auto-potion" behaves. 

Step 2: Open your .fftpatch file with FFTPatcher (current version is 492 tmk) and then select the "Items" tab.

Step 3: Select the item that you wish to replace/modify.

Step 4: Choose a formula that will fit your specific needs.
Thank Philsov for the following information:
"...can import a very limited number of formula into item (namely, anything which can stand its X and Y value to be zero).

Formulas that actually do work with Item:

01 = 1 * WP damage!
02 = WP*WP damage with 25% chance to cast ability/spell (rigging up potion to cast holy is pretty funny when combined with auto-potion!)
03 = WP*WP damage
04 = weak faith-based ice damage
05 = WP*WP damage, 25% chance to inflict status off status table
06 = drain WP*WP damage
07 = Heal WP*WP
09+ = MA% chance to inflict status/quick/ct00/all health but 1/all MP damage (ew)
14 = Golem (with some pretty funky success #'s)
1E/1F = single-target single-hit with truth or untruth formula (quadratic MA!) damage (440 damage from a mage at level 99)
20 = 0 damage, 25% status proc
24 = elemental formula, [PA / 2] * MA damage + status proc
25 = weapon strike
2D = PA * WP, 100% status
31 = [PA/2] * PA damage
32 = PA*3 damage
33 = PA% chance to inflict (ew)
38 = 100% status infliction (or cancel or whatever)
3C = Wish (heal 40%, receive 20% damage)
3E = 100% hp-1 damage (OP!)
43 = Shock (max hp - cur hp damage)
44 = damage HP = current MP (kinda cool, imo, but OP for the player at zodiacs)
45 = Climhazard (targets max - current) damage
52 = self descruct (complete with 100% status) -- imagine auto-potion THEN.
60 = truth formula + 6.25% status
63 = SP*WP damage (throw)"

Step 5: Modify "Enemy level", "Z", and "Inflict Status" fields as desired/needed.

Step 6: Modify "Palette" and "Graphic" fields as desired.
Note: The following may help... Item Palettes

Step 7: Go to the "Abilities" tab in FFTPatcher.

Step 8: Select the ability related to the item you modified and make any desired changes. 
Note: 'Item abilities' start at "0170" and end at "017D"

Step 9: Open your .ffttext file with FFTactext.
Note: Use version 457 for PSP edits.

Step 10: Select "Text" > "QuickEdit"

Step 11: Edit the appropriate entries in the "AbilityNames", "AbilityDescriptions", "ItemNames", and "ItemDescriptions" sections. 

That should get you pointed in the right direction.  For injecting new formulas into the game you will most likely want to use some ASM hacks.  Remember that you will likely be replacing existing formulas to do so. 

Also, here are a couple links that might come in handy for you in the future if you haven't already bookmarked them:
Formulas
Inflict Status

P.S. I think your Sig. should be "Silence! Surrender now or die in obscurity"

Edit:
@ 'Ramza'... As always if you have any further questions/concerns related to this issue feel free to reply.

@ everyone else... If I forgot to mention something, was unclear, or was simply mistaken please feel free to reply/correct my error(s). 
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
(PSP) FFT: GGL Edition 0.9.81 is now available. check here

Ramza Beolve

thank you i will give a try next time i am working on it and let you know

Ramza Beolve

I seamed to have found a way to make it hurt yourself and grant a status witch actually works out better for another idea i have so thank you. Taking inspiration from Final Fantasy X with Rikku's hyper mighty G i have created another item! I'm still new to ASM Hacking and haven't really got into it yet so i will stick with this for now and try making more normal items when i'm more familiar with it.

And for anyone who wishes to know how i made the item check out the spoiler below

1. Item I choosed to replace (as for a test to be switched later) was the antidote or item F6 in items tab and 176 in the abilities tab in the patcher.
2. In the abillity tab all i changed was Cancel Status to Add Status
3. In the Items tab i chose to use formula 2D but otherwise changed nothing but the inflict status with a custom status.
4. The Custom status are
   1. Reraise
   2. Regen
   3. Protect
   4. Shell
   5. Haste
   6. Wall
   7. and Reflect

Now i know what your thinking such an overpowered item. Yes and know i have set the status effects to Random and Separate so not all the effects work at the same time and using formula 2D this potion also hurts you so its usability isn't the best but feel free to change it if you decide to use it.  :P