• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 12:50:17 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Never used FFTPatcher Before - Questions

Started by mrjane, September 12, 2017, 06:27:28 pm

mrjane

September 12, 2017, 06:27:28 pm Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 07:13:59 pm by mrjane
Hi! So, I haven't played FFT in a long time, but I've always wanted to tinker with it, make it my own, and then plow through it again. Now that I have a bit of time, I really want to get into it. In order to do so, I've downloaded FFTPatcher and want to play around. Some questions I've had though.

Will changing Jobs (growth rates, move, etc.) affect the enemies too? Or some will and some won't? Is there a guide somewhere that shows this?
Same goes for weapons/armour/Skill Sets. If I change these, how much does it affect enemies?
Is it possible to make Cloud join your team sooner?
Why are there multiple instances of certain jobs? And with different Skillsets? (eg. 06 Arc Knight and 08 Arc Knight?)

Thanks for stopping by!

• Modding version: Other/Unknown

Satoh

Yes
Probably
Usually
Exactly as much as it affects players
And yes

When it comes to the patcher its all pretty much what you see is what you get. There's a link on the main site to tutorials, and a subforum filled with them as well, but really experimentation is what's going to give you the best info, when it comes to the patcher.

So long as you don't simply go through and start deleting everything you see, you won't really damage the game too badly by changing something and saving a patch.

You will of course want a backup of your vanilla disc image, since you should always patch a fresh copy, there's no undo function here.

Stats for a job will affect basically all enemies and player units that use that job.

In the ENTD tab you can add Cloud to a battle and check the 'join after battle'. Be aware that there are some sprite limitations that will cause non-crashing visual glitches if you use too many sprites in one battle. (that's why party size is limited to 5 player units in the main game, and why there are few enemy types in battles with guest characters) I believe the limit for sprites is 9, and 5 of that is reserved for the party.

Be aware that there are multiple copies of some jobs, as some special characters have more skills than normal, a prime example is the Story characters who start as squires. Ramza has three different sets of squire job, since he can only learn certain abilities during certain chapters.

I'd suggest browsing the help section to see what others have asked before, as you may find something interesting you want to try.
this thread is your friend http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9204.0

and I particularly like this tutorial as a basic crash course for getting started on some nifty but simple hacks you can see immediately when starting the game.
http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9303.0
  • Modding version: PSX

Elric

You can make anyone join whenever, but in order to make it not look retarded, and actually properly change it, you'd need to edit some worldmap and attack.out conditions. Neither of which are done via FFTP. FFTP is the baby steps portion of getting into FFT modding :P
  • Modding version: PSX

mrjane

Thanks for the help Satoh. And Elric, I got it to work just fine! Cloud joined me in the third battle. It looked a bit weird, yes, but after, all was fine. I'm just altering for me, no one else, so I don't really care how it looks. I'm happy with FFTPatcher! :D
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown