• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:30:18 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

What should happen to counter flood?

Started by dw6561, November 19, 2016, 07:41:06 pm

What should happen to counter flood?

Remove from the game
6 (50%)
Replace it with counter comet
4 (33.3%)
Leave as is
1 (8.3%)
None of the above
1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

dw6561

November 19, 2016, 07:41:06 pm Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 01:58:27 am by dw6561
Counter flood has been shown to be bugged (dealing unintentional increases/decreases in damage) in a way that can influence matches, and I am unable to fix the problem currently. What should we do to it?

EDIT: I need to mention that I came up with counter comet, which would basically do the same thing but be much more balanced. It counterattacks with comet if attacked by something with the counter flood flag.
  • Modding version: PSX
This is FF Tactics. All the Tactics you can ever have, all in one byte.

Gaignun

I vote for option two.  Counter Flood is really effective even when it isn't getting its numbers wrong.  Counter Comet would be equivalent to an AoE, damage, and status proc nerf, but it still keeps its unique role at punishing Time and Yin Yang Magic teams.

At any rate, removing/replacing counter flood would let us tune geomancy damage as if it is a proper one-use-per-turn skill and not a one-use-plus-another-for-every-daring-opponent-who-chooses-to-attack-the-Counter-Flood-user skill.

silentkaster

Is it possible to make the damage constant like comet from Counter Flood? I think I'd prefer that. One of the things about Counter Flood that's cool is the status proccing, along with the fact that it doesn't hit allies. Yin Yang Magic and Time Magic are sometimes "carried" by an ally to redirect, and Comet is not a smart targeting ability. We could make it so, I suppose, but it is sometimes use to knock someone out of Sleep and Charm.

We sometimes put CF on units that don't have the stats, but are trying to go for a status. In these cases, the CF damage variance is much lower, just because the amount of damage is much lower. So if we can make it a Constant, say, 70 with perhaps getting rid of AOE (or not) I think that would be cool. Then, it doesn't matter what the stats are since CF damage will always be fixed, but will have a chance to proc status.

Anyway, not knocking the idea of Counter Comet but just asking the question.
You've stepped in puddles less shallow than me.

dw6561

The problem with status procs on a counter is that it's kind of rediculous imo. I think I'd rather have a reaction that outright inflicts a status, so you can guard against it easier. With counter flood, you don't really know what status you would be procing, and most of the status procs are of the "very potent" category so it can shut down multiple units on top of being unevadable. If everyone is ok with it I could attempt to split counter flood into two reactions: counter comet (unevadable, flat damage) and retaliation (adds random status, evadable).
  • Modding version: PSX
This is FF Tactics. All the Tactics you can ever have, all in one byte.