• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:13:11 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

FFTA Hack Request (Playable Judge)

Started by Danieladius, November 18, 2016, 12:56:45 am

Danieladius

I would like to know if it is possible to combine Judgemaster Cid's skill set, and that of the enemy Judges,  and make the end result a class playable by humans (i.e. Marche).

Possibly by replacing an existing class? I am unsure if it is possible to create a new class from scratch. Minor changes I could pull off my self, but I am woefully ignorant concerning creating and/or overhauling a class.

Any help or advice, or even offers to create this request is greatly appreciated.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

dck

It's very possible and relatively straightforward, particularly if you just replace an existing class since then you wouldn't have to worry about problems arising from adding it to a certain race. Replacing skills or (broadly) editing them are both things the AIO editor handles well, as well as sprite/portrait replacement and item editing to have your new class gain its skills from whatever sources you want. That's already most of the work involved in overhauling a class, you likely wouldn't even need to edit names since most of the stuff is already there to begin with.

The problems you'd have would be mostly aesthetic, like the class "dogtags" that appear when you look at skillsets. There's a number of them that can be directly edited with a tile editor but it's a fairly messy process so I'd suggest against it. The thread dedicated to making Llednar a playable character tries to solve something similar to this so it'd be worth looking at, even if the specifics aren't the same.
You may also have issues with the clan screen standing sprites, and I don't know if judges have a sprite to stand in water.

Overall if you get familiar with the AIO you should be able to get the gameplay aspects done easily enough.
  • Discord username: adri#1824

Danieladius

Danieladius

Any pointers for changing the after mission sprite ? I plan on using the Paladin; and and pointers on changing the "dog-tag" ? I'm fine with keeping the Paladin's head image; but I want to change the "PAL" to "JDG" on the dog tag. Thanks for the help ?

dck

No idea about the after mission portrait, I assumed it's the same as the normal portrait that's used for battle and clan menu screens, so if changing that in AIO doesn't work I don't know how you'd change it.

The dogtags aren't actually stored as a base image with text on it or anything sensible like that, they're almost all their own image and some of them share central parts of the image (meaning if you change one you change them all).
To edit them you'd have to get a game palette from an emulator, open the rom with tile molester, load up the palette, scroll down to wherever you find the jumbled mess of pixels that resemble the dogtags and then try your best to align them so you can actually recognize what things are. In theory this shouldn't be so bad, but you can only align small parts of the image at once and it's a gigantic pain to edit overall. Not to mention there's no indication whether PAL would be one of the tags with a shared center or not.

This post has the end result of one of the few I edited myself, so it can definitely work, but the shared central image parts is something I could never find a workaround for.
  • Discord username: adri#1824

Danieladius

Sounds difficult. Nice. I'll get round to dl'ing Tile Molester; and try it out. Thanks for the help again.