Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed. Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section.

Pages: [1]
French Maid
Xifanie (Webmistress) [Posts: 4172]
  • View Profile
  • Final Fantasy Hacktics
  • http://steamcommunity.com/id/Xifanie
  • [January 01, 2016, 12:09:22 AM]
FFTText Editor (last update 2016/01/06)
« on: January 01, 2016, 12:09:22 AM »
FFTText Editor v1.00

Easily locate text, in this convenient, neatly ordered editor!

See live what your text looks like in game, along with line lengths! (minus font colours)

Lots of settings!

What is this?
This tool allows to conveniently edit a .ffttext file generated by FFTacText, then generate a new one to load in FFTacText and easily + quickly generate/update your resources.zip. It is used by many of my tools to directly fetch text data for my hacks so that you know what is what without typing everything yourself.

Requirements
  • Microsoft Windows
  • Excel 2007 or higher (with macros enabled)

Instructions
  • Extract Altima_8.ttf from FFT_Font.zip to C:\Windows\Fonts
  • Open FFTText Editor.xlsm
  • Check out the tutorial in the next post

Download
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 01:48:11 AM by Xifanie »
    • Modding version: PSX
  • <R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
    <Raijinili> remember that? it was awful
    French Maid
    • View Profile
    • Final Fantasy Hacktics
    • [January 01, 2016, 12:10:12 AM]
    Re: FFTText Editor (last update 2015/12/31)
    « Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 12:10:12 AM »
    This tutorial is still in construction 'n stuff

Introduction
    The first thing you want to do, is open the Add-Ins ribbon (tab if you prefer, but I will be using the term ribbon as it is the official name used by Microsoft Excel). If you are on the FFTText sheet (or if you switch to it), this Custom Toolbar will appear:

Edit Selection
    Opens the "Edit" sheet with the current selection.
    Edit All
    Opens the "Edit" sheet with every entry of the current section from the first to the last non-blank one.
    Import .ffttext
    Imports a .ffttext file generated by FFTTactext.
    Export .ffttext
    Exports a .ffttext file generated by the spreadsheet ready for immediate patching to a FFT Image using FFTTactext.
    Clear Sheet
    Wipes a sheet of its .ffttext contents.
    Resources.zip
    Generates or Updates an existing Resources.zip with the information data of the spreadsheet.

Now, if you are instead in the Edit sheet, you will see different options:

Save Edits
    Straightforward, saves the Edit sheet's changes back into the FFTText sheet.
    Exit without saving
    Back to the FFTText sheet.
    Add Pages
    Append a number of pages at the end of the current entry. *
    Delete Pages
    Removes a number of pages at the end of the current entry. *
    Notepad Emulator
    I created a tool that is essentially a super notepad to help you out with your line lengths and such. Give it a try, you'll love it!
    Show/Hide End of Line
    Sometimes you need to pad at the end of the line with spaces to give the text proper formatting. You can choose to show/hide a character to see where the line actually ends.

* About Pages:
    A page is a given number of lines. For example, quotes are 3 lines. If the section only contains unit quotes (be it spell quotes, removal quotes, proposition quotes), I set the workbook to assume the page length is 3 lines. So unless you have all sorts of data inside the same section, a page should be as long as the number of lines the game would normally allow. 3 lines for unit dialogues, 4 for help/check boxes, 10 lines for brave story/propositions, etc.

Legend
    PSX/PSP Resources.zip text
    QuickEdit: The text present under these columns is used in multiple sections.
    Japanese... stuff.: ¯\(°_o)/¯ Just delete it.
    Copied Resources: Fetches information from a QuickEdit column. There should never be a need to edit those.
    Copied Section: Fetches information from a QuickEdit column. There should never be a need to edit those.
    Empty Section: Contains literally nothing. You might be able to use these sections with ASM hacks for your needs.
    References: They are purely used as references and never exported into .ffttext files or resources.zip.
    Any other color: I just tried to mix and match to have sections of the same "type" the same colour.

Editing
    Only ever use zoom multiples of 100% in the Edit sheet! Otherwise, the Altima Font will not be proportionate with the column width, and you won't be able to tell how close/far to the line limit you will be with that visual reference. There's always the numbers, but I really recommend using these zoom values only.
    « Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 02:40:06 AM by Xifanie »
    Rodil [Posts: 4]
    • View Profile
    • [January 05, 2016, 09:05:34 AM]
    « Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 09:05:34 AM »
    I was finally able to start using this tool today and it was extremely convenient.  I was able to change over half of the ability names and descriptions in the game in a very short amount of time in a simple spreadsheet format.  An easy view of how the descriptions will look in the game was also super nice.  I haven't had a chance to test many features at all yet, but those I have have been really great.  Thanks Xifanie!
    Choto [Posts: 818]
    • View Profile
    • [January 06, 2016, 01:53:30 AM]
    « Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 01:53:30 AM »
    I did run into an exception with TacText while trying to patch a an iso with a file edited with the FFTText Editor >_>

I gotta try editing it again from a fresh base and see if I can find out what's causing it. Maybe a bad character like an ! or something?

but that aside, this thing is nothing short of friggin awesome :)
    French Maid
    • View Profile
    • Final Fantasy Hacktics
    • [January 06, 2016, 02:45:25 AM]
    « Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 02:45:25 AM »
    Oh... I completely forgot. The Microsoft Office suite has an option enabled by default where it will convert characters... for example "..." will be converted into a single character (unicode). I think that's the most likely reason you're getting that error.

I'm pretty sure it's under Excel Options/Proofing/Autocorrect Options, type "..." and remove that entry.
    But you'll still have to replace all instances of that unicode character into "...".
    I forgot if there's another common character like this... tell me how that works out. x.x

French Maid
    • View Profile
    • Final Fantasy Hacktics
    • [January 07, 2016, 01:52:00 AM]
    Re: FFTText Editor (last update 2016/01/06)
    « Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 01:52:00 AM »
    v1.01
    • Added "Scan for Invalid Chars" function, which searches in all FFTText cells for characters that would prevent a .ffttext file from working properly
    • Added the "Convert Characters" section in the "Settings" page. It automatically converts characters when importing/exporting files to ensure ease of use and proper .ffttext/resources.zip formats.
    • Changed Formula 0x64 to "Dmg_(PA * WP); if using Spear (PA * 3/2 * WP); if weaponless (PA * Brave /100 * WP)"
    Note to self:
    • Change scan for invalid chars icon to a magnifying glass
    • Add Music/Songs column
    • Add PSP/Items/Strings.xml for PSX release (because the shop progression values for the PSX version are stored in there, for .483+)

Download me
    « Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 02:22:29 PM by Xifanie »
    Heisho [Posts: 12]
    • View Profile
    • [March 11, 2017, 02:10:35 PM]
    « Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 02:10:35 PM »
    Hi there,

I downloaded the file and using Excel 2010 but I'm keep getting this error message:

Run-time error 1004:
    Unable to get VLookup property of the Worksheet Function class

What's wrong on my end?
    French Maid
    • View Profile
    • Final Fantasy Hacktics
    • [March 30, 2017, 07:46:26 PM]
    « Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 07:46:26 PM »
    Are you trying to use it for WotL? Because I've been told I've gone at it all wrong since FFTactext uses completely different Section Names for WotL vs PSX, meaning my spreadsheet is just not going to work for WotL.

Heisho [Posts: 12]
    • View Profile
    • [April 01, 2017, 04:33:12 AM]
    « Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 04:33:12 AM »
    Thanks for replying.

And yes, for the disgust of all, I'm doing a project on WotL.
    Anyway it's ok, I think I'll have to handle it manually. The main attraction for me was the possibility to update the resources file, something that I found pretty convenient.

So I think I'll use it when I'm finished with this and start working on the PSX. I'm kinda fond of the PSP version and the headaches for being very hard to hack are part of my "training" on this. In fact I discovered a way to add additional fully functional Iaido abilities with no ASM hacks, which I'll implement on this project.

So thanks for the tool anyway I'll check it on its due time.

Regards
    Pages: [1]