• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

War of the Lions (PSX) Title Screen

Started by Timbo, December 12, 2013, 08:07:35 pm

Timbo

December 12, 2013, 08:07:35 pm Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 09:30:31 pm by Jack of All Trades
I made a few title screens. They are nothing spectacular, but I'd like some criticism anyhow. What do people think?
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Timbo

Angel

December 13, 2013, 10:57:50 am #1 Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 11:06:05 am by Toshiko
It's bad to just cut off the logo.

Keep in mind that PSP WotL draws at the same resolution as vanilla PSX, just a bit wider. It's software stretched after the fact to fit the PSP screen. You can use a live hack (talked about here) to switch to correct ratio and then use a screen capture from -that- to get the correct WotL title screen. Or you can use this image as a base to cleanly scale down in Photoshop.

Edit: I quickly resized the above in Photoshop to this result...
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Timbo

The problem is that the video plops the logo down right where the title is supposed to be.  So I'd have to separate the logo from the title. I'm not a talented enough artist to redraw the missing artwork bits behind the title by hand in order to reduce and reposition it.

Does that make sense?

Does Agrias's head look weird all cut off in the box art screen?

Angel

If you have the background itself to use, I can put the logo where it needs to be.

And yeah, severed heads is why I had such a problem making that box art work as a wallpaper on my PSP. I had to heavily edit and freehand it.

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame

Timbo

So, I managed to find a clean version of the WotL graphic. I cleaned up and resized the text a bit more so that it matches its positioning with the opening movie. I got rid of the bad map version I had before and I added two options for the box art graphics. Which titles do people like best and which version of the box art do people like best 1 or 2? The last one is kind of an experimental attempt at combining the original title screen with the new graphics. Using the Dodge tool to lighten the screen made things look crazy saturated. Does anybody know how to do this with less intensity?

Angel

You can adjust brightness and contrast, as well as hue and saturation from Image -> Adjustments. Another trick I use frequently is creating a duplicate layer and changing its blending property and opacity from the drop down on the layers window, but you'll likely want to change the contrast and saturation first, regardless.

Timbo

What I'm trying to do is recreate this title screen using the original one, so that it doesn't look weird when the opening movie plays. What would be the best way to go about pulling out all those yellows and replacing them with earth-tones. I'm beginning to think that what I'm trying to do is actually not possible.

Angel

December 17, 2013, 05:45:04 pm #7 Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 06:01:45 pm by Toshiko
Like this?

Edit: added an even more extreme version.

Timbo

Wow both of those look really good. I'm really impressed. Thank you.

Angel

No problem!

There's nothing that's impossible to do in Photoshop. I did sorta go to college for it, so...