• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:06:16 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Installation instructions

Started by Kivutar, May 12, 2011, 03:49:04 am

Kivutar

Long time ago tethical used to be mouse only. I switched to keyboard mode because FFT for IOS was not released yet and I had no idea of their choices in term of input and GUI. It was safer to stick to the classic game to avoid endless discutions on how to adapt the GUI to the mouse.

Now that I have FFT for IOS, I have to say that I don't like at all how they did it.
Tethical, an online FFT clone

ensignavenger

I finally got it working, sort of.  I had a lot of trouble figuring out the controls.  Of course, I have never played FFT :)  (I was a classic Final Fantasy fan back in the day :)  I am actually quite impressed by what you have accomplished with it so far.  I tried using my Xbox controller, but it did not work- I guess you only have keyboard support right now.

Thanks for the help getting started. 

Kivutar

Thanks. You can try joy2key to emulate the joypad support.
Tethical, an online FFT clone

ArcticPrism

The link for the game client doesn't work.

http://cv.kivutar.me/tethical/tethical.p3d

Also, when I tried to join the irc channel to hope to find a test phase eventually it says the channel is invite only. Do I need to sign up to be a tester somewhere?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

lirmont

That .p3d file is just the files located here wrapped up into a bundle: https://github.com/Kivutar/tethical/

You'll need the Panda3d Software Development Kit (SDK) and Python 2.7 (though Panda3d's SDK comes with a pre-configured python shell called ppython.exe). That can be found here: http://www.panda3d.org/download.php?sdk. Python 2.7 can be found here: https://www.python.org/downloads/

The two files you'd want to run (i.e. double-click) are located at /server/main.py and /client/main.py

Note that you may need to make a file like "panda3d.pth" in the Python27 installation folder (or you can put it in /Python27/Lib/site-packages) for Python to find it:
Code (pth file) Select
C:\Panda3D-1.8.1
C:\Panda3D-1.8.1\bin

Thanks.

ArcticPrism

Ok, I'll try that. Thanks.

How about the IRC thing?

lirmont

The IRC thing and the online demo (which requires running the server as a web application) was something Kivutar was offering back in 2012. He's still tangentially involved in the project, but I think the general lack of interest in such an IRC channel and the online demo may have contributed to his decision not to maintain it. This website (FFH), as far as I understand, is available in part because of him, though, and I've been developing that code since then. There will be a playable tech demo soon, but it will be standalone (rather than something played online).

ArcticPrism

I noticed that on the Kickstarter page there are several mentions of October 2014 but only $1296 of the $20000 goal was pleged. Was this the planned date for this project to be finished?

lirmont

April 19, 2014, 04:36:31 am #28 Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 08:33:39 am by lirmont
Yes, that was my plan. The current plan is cutting that to 1/10th of what I wanted to accomplish, aiming for just $2000, but also providing a playable tech demo related to sRPGs (working on this now), open access for the Kickstarter campaign month to the three tools I've written (the Sprite Animator, Unicode Font Tool, and the Sprite Remixer), a playable demo related to card games (done), and a youtube channel filled with videos that introduce or further explain the claims I make about what the engine can already do (mostly done; https://www.youtube.com/user/lirmont). Assuming that goal is even reached, more things from the original plan will be incorporated as stretch goals are reached. I'm taking longer to do the planning than I originally said I would because I don't want to have any regrets about this next campaign. If it's not successful, I have to walk away from the project and return myself to the job market.

ArcticPrism

Tethical's future sounding kind of bleak eh? You haven't found anyone that can help you finish it?

lirmont

April 19, 2014, 08:57:39 pm #30 Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 09:05:08 pm by lirmont
I guess you can consider it bleak. But, the actual project is:

• About 90% done;

• Can already target Windows, Linux, and Mac (because of Panda3d);

• Can be run in a web browser (because of Panda3d);

• Has a tool to create quality 2d effects;

• Has a tool to create quality bitmap fonts;

• Has the ability to display any language (multi-language support), including non-spoken (like Alchemy) and dead languages;

• Has a tool to easily recolor assets, including while the game is running;

• Has a tool to create mechanic functions via drag-and-drop;

• Has a tool to visually preview mechanic functions, including a visual representation of what kind of number to expect out of it;

• Has a tool to visually preview and edit map tiles;

• Has a tool to visually preview and edit targeting functions;

• Has a tool to visually preview and music files, including their tags;

• Has a tool to visually preview and edit items;

• Has a tool to visually preview and edit conversations;

• Has a tool to add and edit races, genders, and names;

• Has a tool to add and edit skills; and,

• Has a double-click to test event feature.

I always wonder how a word like "bleak" can be brought up in the face of Kivutar's year(s) of work and my three years of work on this project. I mean, there are videos clearly showing what it's capable of, right? Programming isn't something that necessarily needs to change over time. Once it's done, it's done. There's just a ton of stuff to do as relates to an sRPG, and I've done most of it, which means all you'd have to do to use my work is configure the engine the way you want to use it (and provide content). That means you've got something like 110,000 lines of code at your disposal when you use the engine. When you use the Sprite Animator to create content, that's 32,000 lines. The Font Tool is 43,000 lines. The Sprite Remixer is 15,500 lines. That's 200,500 lines of programming you don't have to do. This being an engine (rather than a game), isn't that the goal -- to not have to write code? Is that outcome bleak?

Lijj

Bleak?  Perhaps it'd be nice if Lirmont had a larger team but I wouldn't say this is bleak at all.
Also great info there Lirmont, I like to see such an almost complete list.
  • Modding version: PSX

ArcticPrism

Well, maybe I read it wrong. I guess it was just the way you worded your post :p