• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:56:49 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

SNES + Sega Games

Started by SentinalBlade, April 05, 2009, 10:52:09 pm

SentinalBlade

April 05, 2009, 10:52:09 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
hey, guys, awhile back i brought up a topic taht gave fruition to the game Der Langrisser on this forum. I played and beat both them, and thoroughly enjoyed a game; more than i have ever in 8 through 16 bits.

If anyone would like to post some of the games they enjoyed, or loved from that  systems age, then by all means, post the name, and a link to the screenshots from it, so that we can all LOOK FOR THE ROMS OURSELVES to enjoy the game.

Ill update this first post every few games posted so that no one has to search through pages just to find one game.

By all means post away! (ill post some when my laptop gets done charging/tommorow afternoon)

Kaijyuu

April 06, 2009, 12:06:58 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
Hrm, do romhacks count?

If so, I suggest Brutal Mario. Really mixes up the experience with lots of assembly hacking.
Other more traditional platforming hacks on that site, too. Really suggest anyone who liked super mario world to look through the listings there.

Final Fantasy 4 5 and 6, of course. Along with the other required SNES rpgs: secret of mana, seiken densetsu 3 (SoM 2), Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Super mario RPG.

Something more obscure would be Soul Blazer (SNES). 2d action rpg that's quite enjoyable. Could be my nostaligia speaking, but I think the gameplay's stood the test of time rather well.
  • Modding version: PSX

philsov

April 06, 2009, 12:08:04 am #2 Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 11:53:28 am by philsov
Arcana.  First person RPG dungeon crawler -- probably the best out of the handful of titles in this genre/era.  Cliched storyline, but great soundtrack and great gameplay for the era (nowadays it's decent at best).  Oh, and if anyone dies its game over.

~

Soulblazer, and to a lesser extent its sequels of Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma.  Action-rpg (hack and slash to the Zelda level).

~

Live a Live (did I already mention this one? >_>).  RPG with minor tactical battles.  8 different storylines to choose from, almost mega man style, only there's no real carry over from scenario to scenario.  Then you get to the 9th scenario against the big bad guy.  The robot story is awesome.

edit:  high-five for the soulblazer Kaijyuu.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

SentinalBlade

April 06, 2009, 12:53:00 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Is arcana in japanese? i actually liked the first person kinda dungeon crawlers from old SNES days. I enjoyed Terranigma to, so i will most liley try SoulBlaser.

I enjoyed a very large list of SMW hacks, my favorite being F-Mario. which is Grand Zero/Captain Falcon, kinda game. basically you run through several laps of a level as mario and there are even a few boss fights wrapped up...quite a bit of thinking involved in them if your not used to thinking outside the platformer.

FFMaster

April 06, 2009, 05:56:20 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FFMaster
I recommend you try Super Ghouls and Ghosts. Even if you don't finish it, I suggest you experience it at least once.

Earthbound/Mother 2 has already been mentioned, but I also recommend playing it as well.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

Madmartigan

April 06, 2009, 06:13:36 am #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Madmartigan
Quote from: "Kaijyuu"I suggest Brutal Mario. Really mixes up the experience with lots of assembly hacking.

Ah, I just finished that game yesterday, it was amazing!
Whoever made it really did a great job of mixing up the levels, "minigames" and bosses, it's certainly not classic SMW.
You even get to fight Altima from FFT!

Also, for greuling 2-player VS strategy, check out Archon on NES. It's a total bitch. I practically became enemies with my roommate over this game.

EDIT: Read topic title, realized NES wasn't mentioned.

*Smacks Self*

SNES: Must play Secret of Mana if you haven't yet! Also F-Zero is real controller-thrower if you haven't played that classic SNES title yet.

FFMaster

April 06, 2009, 07:17:17 am #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FFMaster
Brutal Mario has now caught my interest.

*Downloads*
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

philsov

April 06, 2009, 09:17:16 am #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
Quote from: "SentinalBlade"Is arcana in japanese?

No, but the only battle screen shot I could find with minimal effort was in japanese.  Fully english, though there are a few engrishes sprinkled in.  The intro (which rivals FF6 in awesomeness, imo) starts off "This is an historic time..."   :roll:
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

SentinalBlade

April 06, 2009, 09:55:26 am #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Lol, i wonder how well teh translators were taught english and grammar... Even back in the 70s, english was taken pretty seriously, so it was probably all the japanese floating around the continent

woodenbandman

April 06, 2009, 01:35:39 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by woodenbandman
Does Shut Up and Jam : Gaiden count?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M0FLAXXvRU

Desocupado

April 06, 2009, 08:35:03 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Desocupado
Secret of mana 2 (or seiken desentsu 3).
that game was really nice.

Skip Sandwich

April 06, 2009, 09:09:07 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
I second Philsov on Live a Live and Soul Blazer, and also on the robot story being awesome, although my favorites are the caveman story and the kung fu story.

and a suggestion of my own Ball Bullet Gun http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=bbg.
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

beawulfx

April 07, 2009, 02:33:39 am #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by beawulfx
The classics have all been mentioned... I'd throw in Bahamut Lagoon and Front Mission for some fun Strategy RPG's on the SNES.
My FFT 1.3030 videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 18EFFEA0AD
My FFT: Mercenaries videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 174F169EE5
My FFV Random Class Challenge videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... C9F3BD69BF

Austin

April 07, 2009, 05:42:51 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
I'd recommend Super Metroid, Lufia 2, the Donkey Kong Country series, Mega Man X-X3, Kirby Super Star, Zelda - Link to the Past, and the Sonic games.

Archael

April 07, 2009, 05:49:35 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
I like this topic alot

I beat Terranigma, it was very fun, but too easy IMO, and the plot was a little iffy, as well as level progression

I beat Earthbound,

I have to play LIVE A LIVE and  Illusion of Gaia though

Kaijyuu

April 07, 2009, 06:24:31 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
I'm playing Terranigma from the recommendations here, and so far it's ok. I just freed the birds.
One thing that's annoying me would be how linear it is; all the "you can't do that yet, come back later" messages are getting really old. I don't see why I couldn't visit tower 5 before 1, why I couldn't resurrect Mu without first finishing the five towers, and why this owl's telling me, the monster slaying adventurer, that I can't go into a canyon because it's full of monsters.

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

April 08, 2009, 12:34:43 am #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kuraudo Sutoraifu
My absolute favorite game for the Genesis was Pirates! Gold.  This game gave me terrible expectations for every pirate game to follow.  No other pirate-y (aside from maybe a few of the Monkey Island series) have superceded or even met the quality entertainment that this game garnered to me.