• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

[Old] General Gameplay Questions (AKA I'm a scrub)

Started by DeviousAlpha, April 02, 2013, 03:37:17 am

DeviousAlpha

April 02, 2013, 03:37:17 am Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 07:15:59 am by Dome
So I'm one of those people who played FFT when I was younger, loved it. Though i did play through using shit like ninjas with martial arts etc. Having tried FFT 1.3 and getting my ass kicked hard by Miluda I just felt my game knowledge was so far from where it needed to be I'd never really get into it. That said I have come back craving more FFT and found FFT+. Supposedly easier than 1.3 but still more challenging than the original game so I have some questions.

Should I grind? I remember before if something was tough, grind out your job/levels a bit and you can probably beat it. As far as I understand it, in 1.3 if you grinded the enemies actually got even tougher. Is this the case in Plus? Or should I stop off for random battles to get jobs maxed out. My only worry if the better choice is to select specific skills to occasionally grind out for certain battles. I don't know the skills well enough :x How will I know what to go for?

Also I'm having major money issues near the start of the game. I can't really upgrade gear at all because I need the phoenix downs / potions. Mostly PD's cost a bomb relative to how much damage gets thrown around in the game. Is that just me being bad? I've only played up to the Sweegy woods fight so far but those bombs + goblin revive really threw me around.

Is there a general guide area? I could just do with some core gameplay tips and general advice. I'd say generally I'm quite smart and tactically minded, I love tough strategy games like original xcom and such. What are the core bits I'm missing in FFT?

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer.

Dome

First off: Welcome to FFH, where all your dreams come true!
Now, for your questions:

QuoteShould I grind?

There's no harm in doing it. Enemies will be on the same level you are, but they won't improve their gear & Abilities. It's up to you if you need more jobs/abilities to clear a specific story battle, or just want to enjoy random battles (And recruit monsters, something I highly suggest you to do)

QuoteAlso I'm having major money issues near the start of the game

Well, it happens to everyone, since the game is designed that way (Encourages you to play more random battles and earn money)
Some generic suggestion:
- You shouldn't use Phoenix Downs too much: Both Ramza e generic squires have a skill that resurrects an ally with no cost (Wish & Revive) and one that gives you regen (Cheer Up)
- Sell the Elixir(s) you start with
- Use only 4 units (Or get a monster as the fifth member) and sell the equipment of the fifth unit

QuoteIs there a general guide area?

At the moment...nope
But I can give you some general advice:
- Always focus on enemies that are able to resurrect other enemies; They should always be your top priority target
- Monsters scale very well with levels, and are completely free: Try to recruit one (Chocobos, for example, provide free AoE healing, Goblins a free Revive/good damage and bombs free spells)
- Statuses can be VERY helpful if you must shut down an enemy unit fast: Killing a fully-armored knight only using swords might take some time, but landing a status spell on him is very fast...and devastating
- Try focusing your efforts on taking down one unit instead of spreading the damage on many enemies: A dead unit can't harm you ;-)

Feel free to post again if you need something else!
P.s: Hope you enjoy FFT: Plus as much as we (as a community) enjoyed making it!

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

DeviousAlpha

Thanks for the info. I am playing it via my smartphone with the epsxe android app. And I really appreciate all the effort you guys have put in, I'm blown away by the scope of what you guys have achieved here.

Dome

Quote from: DeviousAlpha on April 02, 2013, 06:32:07 am
I really appreciate all the effort you guys have put in, I'm blown away by the scope of what you guys have achieved here.

This makes me (And everyone else who worked/helped the making of the patch) proud :-)

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"