• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:24:29 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Upgrade to SMF2?

Started by Xifanie, January 28, 2012, 02:30:30 pm

Should we upgrade to SMF2?

Yes
12 (75%)
No
3 (18.8%)
Not sure
2 (12.5%)
SMF1 is working just fine
5 (31.3%)
Upgrade only when SMF1 stops getting updates
3 (18.8%)
I'd prefer a FFT based layout
6 (37.5%)
I'd prefer a normal layout
1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Xifanie

It might have been the wiser move from PhpBB3 to SMF2 in the first place. Everytime we had a forum transition, PhpBB2 > PhpBB3 > SMF1, a lot of people complained manly about the layout being simply not what they were used to. Whoever there are many ways we could benefit from the transition even if it could be a pain for me to update and a pain to some people's eyes. There were mod requests in the past which could not be fulfilled from the lack of SMF1 support.

Pros:

• Vast amount of mods/hacks available

• No more fear of SMF1 not being updated anymore

• More stability, optimized speed

• Still in development

• Enhanced security

Cons:

• I would have to rework layout and it definitely won't look identical to the old one

• Possibility that some mods aren't support in the new version, or loss of settings

Here's a list of its features: http://www.simplemachines.org/about/smf/features.php
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Pickle Girl Fanboy

Quote from: Xifanie on January 28, 2012, 02:30:30 pmIt might have been the wiser move from PhpBB3 to SMF2 in the first place.

I don't think it was a bad idea to test the waters with SMF1.  Now that you know more about it, you can make an more informed decision.

Quote from: Xifanie on January 28, 2012, 02:30:30 pmPros:

• Vast amount of mods/hacks available

• No more fear of SMF1 not being updated anymore

• More stability, optimized speed

• Still in development

• Enhanced security

Faster is what matters the most to me.  Ditto stability.

Quote from: Xifanie on January 28, 2012, 02:30:30 pmCons:

• I would have to rework layout and it definitely won't look identical to the old one

• Possibility that some mods aren't support in the new version, or loss of settings

As long as it looks like a forum, and has a quick reply and a spoiler tag - and, let me see... I guess that's it - I think we're okay.  What mods do we currently use?  I can look them up and see if they're available for the latest stable version of SMF 2.x.x.

Quote from: Xifanie on January 28, 2012, 02:30:30 pmHere's a list of its features: http://www.simplemachines.org/about/smf/features.php

There are a metric asston of mods for SMF 2, but would a bunch of these mods - especially the social network integration mods - slow FFH down?

Basically, I need more info before I can vote, but I'm a tentative yes vote.

Xifanie

Custom BBCode 2.00
YouTube BBCode 2.6

all the others are random crap that I haven't actually used lol
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

FFMaster

I'd upgrade it to SMF2, for speed/reliability/stability.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

Pickle Girl Fanboy

January 28, 2012, 06:46:07 pm #4 Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 06:55:17 pm by Pickle Girl Fanboy
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=621
^Custom BBC code mod.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=936
^Youtube BBC code mod.

If anyone here is a PHP programmer, that person could update either of these mods if they don't work with SMF 2.x.x, but I don't know how much work it will be.  I'll ask someone I know if he's interested, but I kinda doubt he will be.

Maybe SMF 2.x.x comes with the functionality these mods built in?  I wonder why no one updated them?

Durbs

Quote from: Xifanie on January 28, 2012, 02:30:30 pm
Possibility that some mods aren't support in the new version, or loss of settings

How likely is this?

GeneralStrife

can we keep the fft cosmetics?

Dome

Quote from: GeneralStrife on January 29, 2012, 09:00:19 pm
can we keep the fft cosmetics?

And the youtube code

Anyway, upgrade FTW

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Pickle Girl Fanboy

I say go for it.  I don't really care how the forum looks afterwords, as long as the messages are intact.

RavenOfRazgriz

Keep the cosmetics.  Unlike PGF's "I don't care", if the place looks like shit, people will be less inclined to join or stay around.  If this place doesn't look good, it won't be good.  If you can't keep an FFT-styling to the forum, don't upgrade, personally.  Doesn't have to look the same, it just needs to look FFT and it needs to look good.  Looking good is so far beyond important, because people are going to judge what they see before what they read, and a good, distinct, and fitting look will leave a better and stronger first impression than a shitty look, regardless of the actual content on the forum.

To me this probably more important than any benefits gained from SMF2.0.  More security and everything else is nice, but without a good-looking, flavorful, and intuitive design and skin, people are less apt to check the forum over and join.  If people aren't joining, there's no activity.  If there's no activity, all the benefits from SMF2.0 are worthless because no one's there to enjoy them.  If it won't look right, it's not an option, to me.  If it will look right, there's no reason not to upgrade, mods-be-damned.

GeneralStrife

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on February 03, 2012, 02:17:05 pm
Keep the cosmetics.  Unlike PGF's "I don't care", if the place looks like shit, people will be less inclined to join or stay around.  If this place doesn't look good, it won't be good.  If you can't keep an FFT-styling to the forum, don't upgrade, personally.  Doesn't have to look the same, it just needs to look FFT and it needs to look good.  Looking good is so far beyond important, because people are going to judge what they see before what they read, and a good, distinct, and fitting look will leave a better and stronger first impression than a shitty look, regardless of the actual content on the forum.

To me this probably more important than any benefits gained from SMF2.0.  More security and everything else is nice, but without a good-looking, flavorful, and intuitive design and skin, people are less apt to check the forum over and join.  If people aren't joining, there's no activity.  If there's no activity, all the benefits from SMF2.0 are worthless because no one's there to enjoy them.  If it won't look right, it's not an option, to me.  If it will look right, there's no reason not to upgrade, mods-be-damned.

This.

Xifanie