• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Tethical, online FFT clone

Started by Kivutar, February 25, 2011, 04:38:42 am

Kivutar

Thank you all.

I began to code the keyboard support. As expected, a lot of code refactoring is needed. But you can see the first results of these change in the new video in the first post.

+ minor changes :

• Display character name, job and sign in the character status

• Right sound effects for the lobby widgets

• Add camera movements for move and attack action in passive phase

• Better use of the lobby tasks to poll the server

• Add a 1sec delay before first character start

• Lobby code refactoring : moved all the GUI related code to the GUI module

• Keyboard support for the tile chooser

Tethical, an online FFT clone

Kaffe

This is some pretty awesome stuff, keep it up!

Kivutar

Thanks Kaffe !

The new video shows some progress on keyboard handling. The battle is now almost fully controlable with the keyboard, the last thing to change is the menu.

Durbs

Neat. Do you intend to put the non-generic characters in?
  • Modding version: PSX

Kaffe

I'm not a coder/programmer/hacker, but if there's anything you want help with (I have no idea what that would be), send me a PM and I'll see if I can be of help in anyway. :]

Kivutar

April 21, 2011, 07:22:32 am #45 Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:23:33 am by Kivutar
@Durbs: Sure, as soon as I have their sprite exported to dbp's ffflashtics format.

@Kaffe: Thank you, I will send you a PM. I need those sprite (I can't run shishi cause i'm a linux only user) and someone to test the windows installer (for the same reason).

Edit: the new video shows a new map + the keyboard driven battle menu. The battle phase is now 100% keyboard controlled.

Darkholme

April 21, 2011, 01:52:01 pm #46 Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 02:39:25 pm by Darkholme
I can get you all the sprites if you'd like, and I can test the windows version. My time seems more limited than I thought it would be, but I have enough time for that.\
[Edit] Sent to your email.

Pickle Girl Fanboy

Quote from: Kivutar on April 21, 2011, 07:22:32 am
(I can't run shishi cause i'm a linux only user) and someone to test the windows installer (for the same reason).

I know how you feel.

Pride

Your progress is fantastic! Keep up the great work ^_^
  • Modding version: PSX
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Kivutar

It's nice to see people liking the project. Very motivating.

QuoteI know how you feel.

Yes, all these .NET tools are so difficult to port to other OSes. Thanks god, gomtuu used easier technologies so I had a starting point to learn 3D and maps.

QuoteI can get you all the sprites if you'd like, and I can test the windows version. My time seems more limited than I thought it would be, but I have enough time for that.
[Edit] Sent to your email.

Thanks Darkholme. Can one of you ask Xifanie for her Palette Editor script to convert these bmp to the format dbp use? Or better, mod her script to export directly to my format. (Wich is there: https://github.com/Kivutar/tethical/blob/master/client/textures/sprites/ramza.png )
Converting the sprite by hand is a very tedious task, and I developping the engine takes all my time. So this script would be of a great help.

I just added a new video showing this changes :

• Fixed the terrain aspect ratio

• Fixed the walk speed

• Color fix for the direction chooser textures

• Move and Attack check messages

• Hide the black overlay when selecting a character to attack

• Fix cursor Z

• Clear the blue zone before the character starts to walk

• Textured cursor

Eternal

This gets more and more amazing with each update! Amazing work, Kivu!
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Dome

Quote from: Eternal248 on April 22, 2011, 12:16:51 pm
This gets more and more amazing with each update! Amazing work, Kivu!

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Cheetah

Hurray for faster walking speeds, it looks perfect.

This is an amazing project. Seriously tell us how we can help.
Current Projects:

Kivutar

April 25, 2011, 04:20:02 pm #56 Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 04:23:28 pm by Kivutar
Thank you all.

QuoteThis is an amazing project. Seriously tell us how we can help.

Yes, I will need help from the community for many things. Unfortunately, the project is still very immature. It is a little bit early to ask for external help as sprites and map formats are going to change in the next weeks. But as soon as these format become stable, I would like to add:

• the generic sprites (I need an exporter for this, explained in my last post)

• custom maps, if one of you know blender, or just like to sketch maps, we can work together with skype or using IRC. The hardest thing is to texture the map. If one of our talentuous pixel artist is willing to, I can post a tutorial explaining how to rip textures from official maps and texture a custom map.

• official maps. I added a few lines of code to ganesha, so we can export official maps models to my engine. But ganesha only displays grey textures. I read the code of map2gl to understand how to maps the coloured texture, but the opengl API is too low level for me. If one of you knows how gomtuu did to display coloured textures, or know where to find gomtuu, we would have 100+ maps in tethical!

I added a new video showing the first steps in displaying battle intro and game over screens.

[edit] Even if the project is immature, you can already start exploring one of the 3 ways exposed.

lirmont

April 26, 2011, 08:45:45 am #57 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 06:16:38 am by lirmont
To help you, I've added a basic .OBJ (it's a plain-text 3d model format) to export maps into a format Blender can read to the map2gl Python program.

Download map2gl (with export to .OBJ feature)

How to use map2gl to export to OBJ and open in Blender:

• Launch map2gl with Python.

• Open a map with the map2gl program.

• Click "Export to .OBJ/.PNG".

• In the program's directory, a file MAPXXX.obj and MAPXXX.png are created (at least, it works in Windows, though parts of the original program don't).

• Launch Blender.

• Right-click the cube in the default scene.

• Press the 'X' key on your keyboard to delete the cube from the scene.

• Select "File" from Blender's menu.

• Select "Import >" from the list.

• Select "Wavefront (.obj)" from the drop-down.

• In the file dialog window, locate your MAPXXX.obj and open it.

• Split the active viewport by right-clicking between the File Menu and the Active Viewport; select "Split Area".

• In the right-hand side, select "UV/Image Editor" for the view (option available in first button on bottom-docked toolbar).

• In the left-hand side, right-click the map's geometry.

• Press the 'TAB' key to change the mode to "Edit Mode".

• Press 'A' to select all vertices.

• Press 'W' to open a pop-up menu; select "Flip Normals".

• In the right-hand side, click "Image" from the bottom-docked toolbar.

• Load the MAPXXX.png file.

• In the left-hand side, change the viewport mode to show objects as "Textured" (immediately to the right of "Edit Mode" drop-down on the bottom-docked toolbar).

• You should now see the map (more or less).

• Finally, use your .EGG export script (or whatever you do for the maps you made yourself) to export the map from Blender.

Eternal

Welcome to FFH, lirmont! Thanks for the tool, it should help Kivutar immensely!
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Kivutar

lirmont, I LOVE YOU!

Look at what you did.

This is awesome. I will wrote a script to export all the maps.