• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:50:14 pm

Monsters

Started by philsov, December 21, 2010, 01:22:31 pm

The Damned

I'd call that more of a block than a wall given you only directly quoted one thing in between all that text.

Anyway, are there any plans to turn Monster Skill into something worth a damn given that you don't need it for anything at all now?

Quote from: philsov on January 21, 2011, 10:22:13 pmChocobo - sadly there isn't a formula that heals and reliably adds status.

*vaguely remembers learning this when trying to out something months ago*

Oh...right. Damn.

Quote from: philsov on January 21, 2011, 10:22:13 pmGoblin - Mutilate is Max HP.  All the formulae that involve Current HP can't hold an element so I'm not using them since they'd be horribly OP on bosses.  The MaxHP's can be flagged as Dark, and thus boss immune, which is why I can rock 75% HP in the first place.

Oh, right. Still, 75% HP seems like a lot..., but I guess it's okay since it's close-range.

Quote from: philsov on January 21, 2011, 10:22:13 pmBombs - Already weak+absorb Fire for maximum absorb funsies.  And, yes, all monsters have the generic "attack" command by default, good ol' missionary PA * PA*Br/100.

Okay, good to know.

Quote from: philsov on January 21, 2011, 10:22:13 pmPanthers - A silencer would be a pretty cool move, and something welcome for the monsters.  However I find having both that and screech on the same unit rather redundant.  Perhaps I can keep the Screech skill around as a free-agent for other 4th skillers with other monsters.

Or you could perhaps just make sure that Screech and whatever Silencing technique stay separate by giving Blood Suck to all Panthers over Screech. Might want to make Blood Suck do less damage in that case. (Or did you intend for it to still be able to inflict Blood Suck? If so, then nevermind this suggestion.)

Quote from: philsov on January 21, 2011, 10:22:13 pmThey're critical and frantical sprinting away from you.  You can try to chase them down and hack them up, or regally stand where you are, get them in your sights, lead them ever so slightly, release the bow string, and THWACK.  THUMP.  A twitch, perhaps, and then nothing.

>_>

Call it "Snipe" then. "Execute" makes it sound like the target isn't moving.

Quote from: philsov on January 21, 2011, 10:22:13 pmSquids: I hadn't thought to include half:elements for most of the schemes.  Currently most monsters are weak to one, absorb one, and cancel one.  Hm.

On the one hand, I concur with the halving Ice thing. On the other hand, I realize that I might have gone a "tad" overboard when it came to Elemental things. Then again, I'm focusing on Elemental stuff more than you are, so that's ironically where the problem is coming from.

Quote from: philsov on January 21, 2011, 10:22:13 pmAs for the plus thing, you're still IN the plus, just not in the center.  It's 1 range with 1 AoE.

Okay, as I thought. Good to have confirmation regardless.

QuoteSkeletons: retain Aqua Soul because of the blue mage scheme more than anything else.  Ice Soul would be redundant with Ice Breath, and so it just came down to Lit Soul versus Aqua Soul, and Aqua Soul seemed to fit skeles as a whole more.  It's just... really cold water?  Regarding the formula, it is possible.

Well, it does make sense that Skeletons would employ really cold showers of water given that they're constantly boned up.

Quote from: philsov on January 21, 2011, 10:22:13 pmThere is a [PA * Br/100] * MA formula (flagged no element) that I have yet to employ, but perhaps it'd be better to give that one to Ghosts as a replacement for Throw Spirit -- and then make Throw Spirit blue mage available?  I want to keep XXX Soul and Throw Spirit different, and the elemental attribute atm is a nice striking difference (and currently one is MA while the other is PA based).

It sounds like it has potential. Do Blue Mages even have any non-elemental distance attacks at present?

Quote from: philsov on January 21, 2011, 10:22:13 pmAtm Fury is one hack that's not making its way into the patch, because there are several scenarios where I want the enemies to have 100% Br for reaction funsies, and I don't want to cause these guys to deal/receive massive damage as a result of it.

Ah, but I wanted to hit people's weak points for massive damage....

I'm guessing all of these 100 Brave people would be bosses only?

Quote from: philsov on January 21, 2011, 10:22:13 pmI'd prefer to stick to the Dark motiff, and Demi is a good candidate (Demi2 is becoming single target but hits for greater than 50% HP) with its AoE.

Good to hear about Demi2.

Quote from: philsov on January 21, 2011, 10:22:13 pmRegarding reaction... I doubt auto-shell would do much versus Raise2 and Cure ignores shell.  Heh.

Oh right. I swear, Raise 2 is such a pain in the ass.

Quote from: philsov on January 21, 2011, 10:22:13 pmGhosts - Punishing the nonbelievers in pure spite and hatred is the entire point of it, and its more effective the more cynical the ghost is!

Not really seeing this, but I don't mind the skill otherwise.

Quote from: philsov on January 21, 2011, 10:22:13 pmFlotiballs - Confusion + poison seems like a fun little combo.

Not really. The Poison damage should negate Confusion after one turn, unless that's what you meant about it being "fun", i.e. a way for the AI to use Confusion without it utterly screwing them over (for more than one turn).

Quote from: philsov on January 21, 2011, 10:22:13 pmJuravis - I'm using MaxHP for reasons above....

So does that mean that Hurricane is (also) Dark-element now?

Quote from: philsov on January 21, 2011, 10:22:13 pmBulls - Eh, Sacred is just a funny name anyways.  Regarding MP... it's all a relative thing, really.  The only numbers I'm concerned about are the ones dealing with blue magic and monsters that gain human abilities which have an MP cost. I can juggle around those np.

I suppose it's even easier now in a way since monsters will now actually use MP.

Quote from: philsov on January 21, 2011, 10:22:13 pmBehemoth - not planning on innates, really.  Possibly innate short/non charge but past that giving them stuff like attack up or magic attack up is pointless when I can just as easily boost their MA or PA multipliers.

So glad to see people realize this, even if I already knew you knew it. I'll never understand why people bother wasting innate slots on Magic Attack Up or Attack Up. The hell is the point?
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Lucifer_zero

Chocobo - Sad about no CURE + STATUS

Woodmen - My bad, what i wanted to mean is if Prune and Regenerator will target itself.

Behemot - I´ve througth not on AttackUP or MAttackUP, exactly on what you said, it´s easy to change the multipliers. what i´m thinking is DefUP and MDefUP ( as in FF, Behemots tend to be more tankers with real power... )
My english sucks... and i know this.

Currently playing:
- FFT +, by Dome
- CCP, by Celdia

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: philsov on January 21, 2011, 10:22:13 pmChocobo - sadly there isn't a formula that heals and reliably adds status.

0D Heal_(Y)% Hit_F(MA+X)% 100% Status.
0E Dmg_(Y)% Hit_F(MA+X)% 100% Status + Elemental Absorb.
35 Heal_(Y)% Hit_(PA+X)% 100% Status.

Some of the most useful formula for manipulating the AI.

Coughcoughcoughcoughcough.

Yeah, time is still far too short for a comprehensive overview but I saw this and had to comment.

philsov

Quote0D Heal_(Y)% Hit_F(MA+X)% 100% Status.
0E Dmg_(Y)% Hit_F(MA+X)% 100% Status + Elemental Absorb.
35 Heal_(Y)% Hit_(PA+X)% 100% Status.

*facepalms self*

And here I was using these to only cancel status -_-.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

philsov

QuoteAnyway, are there any plans to turn Monster Skill into something worth a damn given that you don't need it for anything at all now?

Nah.

QuoteOr you could perhaps just make sure that Screech and whatever Silencing technique stay separate by giving Blood Suck to all Panthers over Screech. Might want to make Blood Suck do less damage in that case. (Or did you intend for it to still be able to inflict Blood Suck? If so, then nevermind this suggestion.)

Nah, blood suck I'm leaning more towards a percentage drain attack.  While the option for 100% status is possible, I think 100% is too much on top of this as a baseline ability.  But that'd certainly work... long term versus short term.  Still need to think of something for Cat Kick or whatever and it'd somehow be in line with these two though....

QuoteIt sounds like it has potential. Do Blue Mages even have any non-elemental distance attacks at present?

Newp.  It'd fit great.  It seems kind of weird to double up on blue mage skills from a single family (ghosts give Drain Touch too), but at the same time I think Blue Mage should have drain touch and ghosts should have drain touch so... whatever.

QuoteI'm guessing all of these 100 Brave people would be bosses only?

Or people associated with the bosses, yes.  Either way, certainly enemy-only.  

QuoteThe Poison damage should negate Confusion after one turn, unless that's what you meant about it being "fun", i.e. a way for the AI to use Confusion without it utterly screwing them over (for more than one turn).

Wheeeee!

QuoteSo does that mean that Hurricane is (also) Dark-element now?

Correct.

QuoteChocobo - Sad about no CURE + STATUS

OK, I lied.  

General:  Choco Meteor / Choco Esuna / Choco Haste
Yellow: Choco Cure* - MA*X healing, self AoE 1
Black: Choco Protect - ?25%? HP healing + Protect, self AoE 1
Red: Choco Shell - ?25%? HP healing + shell, self AoE 1

perhaps?

QuoteWoodmen - My bad, what i wanted to mean is if Prune and Regenerator will target itself.

Ah.  Yeah, both work on themselves as well.

Quotewhat i´m thinking is DefUP and MDefUP

I can understand one or the other, on concept (like a Ghost with innate Def Up), but if you want both -- just boost the HP :).  And behemoth HP is pretty high atm.  It's still a normal monster and needs to be moderately comparable to, say, chocobos and skeletons.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

The Damned

*facepalms twice between also only using those healing formula to negate status and had doubtless given a few things both Def UP when I could have just raised HP*

I guess this means I can give Mime Monster Talk and something else after all.

Quote from: philsov on January 25, 2011, 08:54:23 pmNah, blood suck I'm leaning more towards a percentage drain attack.  While the option for 100% status is possible, I think 100% is too much on top of this as a baseline ability.

You could also use a Separate status to drop it down to 25%, but, yeah, that formula annoyed me. 

Quote from: philsov on January 25, 2011, 08:54:23 pmNewp.  It'd fit great.  It seems kind of weird to double up on blue mage skills from a single family (ghosts give Drain Touch too), but at the same time I think Blue Mage should have drain touch and ghosts should have drain touch so... whatever.

Meh. As long as less than a quarter of their skills can be gotten from two or more monsters, I think it's fine. I'm pretty sure at least two of my skills at present can be gotten from two different families (Fire Breath and something else [Aero?]), though Blue Mage is still likely to change.

Quote from: philsov on January 25, 2011, 08:54:23 pmCorrect.

Okay. I don't really like multi-element abilities, but given that I don't really like Hurricane to begin with, I can deal with this.

Quote from: philsov on January 25, 2011, 08:54:23 pmOK, I lied. 

General:  Choco Meteor / Choco Esuna / Choco Haste
Yellow: Choco Cure* - MA*X healing, self AoE 1
Black: Choco Protect - ?25%? HP healing + Protect, self AoE 1
Red: Choco Shell - ?25%? HP healing + shell, self AoE 1

perhaps?

Looks good. Maybe lower the HP healing down to 20% given that Chocobo can still move pretty far.

Choco Meteor is either going to be avoidable this time or do (a lot) less damage, correct?

Not much else to say about monsters at present.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Lucifer_zero

Quote from: philsov on January 25, 2011, 08:54:23 pm
I can understand one or the other, on concept (like a Ghost with innate Def Up), but if you want both -- just boost the HP :).  And behemoth HP is pretty high atm.  It's still a normal monster and needs to be moderately comparable to, say, chocobos and skeletons.

The true is that i was thininking of making Behemot more dificult to kill ( with so much HP and taking less damage ), but on really is as you said, they need to be comparable to others monsters.

About panthers, i dont see problems on having Screech and silence together ( and it would only be on red panther ) as or you can silence one mage while wait for other one charge to make a good damage, but i don´t know how AI would use these skills

About Chocobo skills, i´ve liked 25%, i don´t think it´s to big, nor to small.

My english sucks... and i know this.

Currently playing:
- FFT +, by Dome
- CCP, by Celdia