• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:31:13 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Introducing "Proper" — (v1.10 released 10/28/17!)

Started by johnmyster, August 15, 2017, 02:49:03 am

johnmyster

Quote from: NYR on September 22, 2017, 09:24:24 pm
Yes!! I am loving this so far!

I have been stuck at Izlude for quite a while. Man, he is one tough SOB. One thing I noticed, the amount of HP for the Crystal Helmet is off.

Another update:

Finally beat Izlude but I am giving up at Grog hill. Multiple characters with blade grasp + Hamedo. Chemists with 2 mythril guns? That isn't a fun kind of challenge. It is an "not sure if I want to play this anymore time of challenge". Some of these battles are way more difficult than FFT 1.3.

I'm sorry to hear that Grog Hill is unduly frustrating for you. What kind of party are you using?

Here's some tips that you may try:

Most of your threats are purely physical, except for the Archer's Time Magic and Ninja's Elemental secondaries. Try Abandon stacked with mantles and a shield on a knight, and a lot of the damage incoming will be evaded. Knight's innate Defense Up will help with what gets through.

A Knight with Item or White Magic secondary can be a tanky support character. If you can't win a damage race, try a battle of attrition.

For other jobs, play around with Defense Up and Equip Armor to find what delicate balance works for each party member.

Haste Ramza and start stacking Yells whenever you can fit one in. Ethers and Chakra can keep your MP flowing in.

Magic attacks don't care about their Blade Grasp and Hamedo. A couple Threatens or Foxbirds can mitigate these reaction abilities as well.

The Chemist with Hamedo and two guns can be safely attacked one or two panels away where he can't Hamedo you.

For the Hamedo Ninja, just don't melee attack him one square away.

Try status effects, equipment breaks, and stat breaks (especially speed) to shut down key threats. Chemists can't cure Stop or Don't Act. Stacking Two Swords and Battle Skill gives your guy 2x the break potential. While the Archer has Maintenance, breaking a weapon or two of the Squires or Ninja and the battle may turn in your favor.

Haste your team. Protect your team.

If you're not already there, level your party to 35 for the speed point. With the enemies at level 40, the battle is perfectly doable at this level.

Remember that if the dual-wielding Chemist is in a loop of healing his friends, he's not damaging you directly each turn.

At Level 38, randoms start equipping Flash Hats. For Thief Hats (+1 PA/MA/SP), 46. For Crystal Helmets (+1 Speed in Proper), only 27. It's not required, but if you happen to snag a couple of these they can help boost your Speed and HP alike. The old Green Beret is still a valid option as well.

I hope that helped a bit.

Thanks for noticing the Crystal Helmet typo and your continued interest in Proper.

EDIT: You may also want to check out the new update. ;)

Quote from: Bonesy on September 23, 2017, 05:52:51 pm
to everyone: Log which battles you're having trouble with and why, I think Proper is more likely to get updated with fixes/rebalances etc than crappy ol fft 1.3 at this point

Yes. :)
  • Modding version: PSX
FFT Proper v1.10 released 10/28/17!
Proper Rebalances, ramps up difficulty, and adds variety to battles.

johnmyster

9/25/2017: Proper v1.03 released!
Patch a fresh ISO as always.

FFHacktics (v1.03)
DataFileHost.com (v1.03)

Changes:
Golem reworked. It now casts Protect on all allies.

Grog Hill made slightly easier:
The Squire with a shield now wears a Holy Miter and Elf Mantle.
The Squire that had two weapons equipped now has a Diamond Shield.
The Ninja now has Move +2 instead of Move +3, and a worse weapon in his left hand.

All Grog Hill enemies with "impossible" setups are now properly flagged as immortal.

Crystal Helmet description fixed.

NYR

Finally beat Grog Hill! Been busy as hell this week at work. I intend on moving further tonight.

johnmyster

Quote from: NYR on September 27, 2017, 02:11:54 pm
Finally beat Grog Hill! Been busy as hell this week at work. I intend on moving further tonight.

Congrats!

What was your strategy and party composition?

Were you using the new version?

Did my tips help?

Ivory_Knight

Hi again.
I am already at Chapter 4 and i wanted to report a minor mistake.
The description of Assassin Dagger is wrong (or maybe right and the actual stats are wrong).
The description says it has 7 WP. But the actual stat is 9 WP.

I attached screenshots, just in case.

Thank you again for the patch, and have a nice day.

NYR

I don't recall what party I used but I got lucky :P

I really enjoyed the first fight at Riovanes. Took a few tries but I finally got through.

Still stuck at Velius. Any tips? No matter what I do he just keeps casting Lich to heal himself for 783.   :shock:

johnmyster

Quote from: Ivory_Knight on September 30, 2017, 11:43:10 am
Hi again.
I am already at Chapter 4 and i wanted to report a minor mistake.
The description of Assassin Dagger is wrong (or maybe right and the actual stats are wrong).
The description says it has 7 WP. But the actual stat is 9 WP.

I attached screenshots, just in case.

Thank you again for the patch, and have a nice day.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into it!

Quote from: NYR on September 30, 2017, 09:44:54 pm
I don't recall what party I used but I got lucky :P

I really enjoyed the first fight at Riovanes. Took a few tries but I finally got through.

Still stuck at Velius. Any tips? No matter what I do he just keeps casting Lich to heal himself for 783.   :shock:

Some tips:

Focus down the demons first.
Spread out your own party to minimize the damage from Area of Effect attacks.
Break his stats with Battle Skill.
Use Yell.

NYR

Quote from: johnmyster on October 01, 2017, 11:56:27 am
Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into it!

Some tips:

Focus down the demons first.
Spread out your own party to minimize the damage from Area of Effect attacks.
Break his stats with Battle Skill.
Use Yell.

Finally got past him. At Bethela Garrison.

Here are my thoughts so far...

Good mod. I like a lot of the changes you have made. It keeps the game from being broken and also adds a challenge. I do think the difficulty increase in Chapter 4 is a bit much. You did some great things like keeping the battle on Riovanes roof from being so cheap that you don't even get a turn. With that being said, I have had that happen in a few other places such as the South Wall, the battle at Zeltennia and the Bed desert. The battle at Bethela Garrison Sluice is also a bit... cheap IMO. Giving so many of the enemies re-raise to start in addition to these Holy knights being in almost every battle at this point?

Again, I think it is a really good mod but I feel like you went from kind of a rebalance and changing mod in the first half the game to an insanely derpy mod in the second half.

johnmyster

Quote from: NYR on October 01, 2017, 01:50:59 pm
Finally got past him. At Bethela Garrison.

Here are my thoughts so far...

Good mod. I like a lot of the changes you have made. It keeps the game from being broken and also adds a challenge. I do think the difficulty increase in Chapter 4 is a bit much. You did some great things like keeping the battle on Riovanes roof from being so cheap that you don't even get a turn. With that being said, I have had that happen in a few other places such as the South Wall, the battle at Zeltennia and the Bed desert. The battle at Bethela Garrison Sluice is also a bit... cheap IMO. Giving so many of the enemies re-raise to start in addition to these Holy knights being in almost every battle at this point?

Again, I think it is a really good mod but I feel like you went from kind of a rebalance and changing mod in the first half the game to an insanely derpy mod in the second half.

Yeah, the "Save __" missions were purposely made not too difficult because your guests can be fragile and stupid.

Chapter 4 is indeed where the difficulty ramps up the most, but by this point in the game you should have a strong party with almost any abilities that you want.
Propositions are even better in Proper to get those nice abilities like Move+3, Abandon, Auto Potion, Equip Armor, Defense UP, Magic Defense UP, Attack UP, Magic Attack UP, and Two Swords. You have Excalibur after Bethla Garrison which gives you Initial:Haste.

Get your Brave to 97 and your Faith to optimal levels if you haven't already. A 97% chance of healing 130 through Auto Potion can be really, really good.

Don't be afraid to keep using the ol' Green Berets on high evasion or Abandon characters until you get Flash Hats. That speed point can often help more than the additional 60 HP, 2 PA, or 1 MA that other hats offer. Carabini Mail with +1 Speed brings your slower armor wearing character up to speed a little.

In Proper, I like to have about 3 characters with Item or White Magic secondary, with the other 2 characters having Ying-Yang Magic, Time Magic, Battle Skill, or even Talk Skill secondary for buffs and debuffs when its better than just dealing damage. You may find a better strategy for yourself, however.

Special Characters (your opinion can and will vary)

By no means are they required, but special characters can fill strong niches in your party composition. Most of them will start with fairly advanced jobs unlocked to give you a head start in training them up and sometimes surpass your generics.

Agrias is a bit slow, but an optimal pick. With White Magic secondary, she can become a core member of your party, able to tank hits, revive key characters, and deal damage and debuffs.

Once you get Cloud, he is a strong offensive addition to your party, along with Reis.

Rafa and Malak are solid casters. Beowulf, Orlandu, and Meliadoul are all decent. Mustadio is good too.

As long as your enemies aren't more than like fifteen or twenty levels above you, each battle is perfectly doable in Proper with the right strategies and some trial and error.

As always, thank you for your input and for playing and supporting Proper.

Best of luck,

- johnmyster

NYR

Quote from: johnmyster on October 01, 2017, 09:03:34 pm
Yeah, the "Save __" missions were purposely made not too difficult because your guests can be fragile and stupid.

Chapter 4 is indeed where the difficulty ramps up the most, but by this point in the game you should have a strong party with almost any abilities that you want.
Propositions are even better in Proper to get those nice abilities like Move+3, Abandon, Auto Potion, Equip Armor, Defense UP, Magic Defense UP, Attack UP, Magic Attack UP, and Two Swords. You have Excalibur after Bethla Garrison which gives you Initial:Haste.

Get your Brave to 97 and your Faith to optimal levels if you haven't already. A 97% chance of healing 130 through Auto Potion can be really, really good.

Don't be afraid to keep using the ol' Green Berets on high evasion or Abandon characters until you get Flash Hats. That speed point can often help more than the additional 60 HP, 2 PA, or 1 MA that other hats offer. Carabini Mail with +1 Speed brings your slower armor wearing character up to speed a little.

In Proper, I like to have about 3 characters with Item or White Magic secondary, with the other 2 characters having Ying-Yang Magic, Time Magic, Battle Skill, or even Talk Skill secondary for buffs and debuffs when its better than just dealing damage. You may find a better strategy for yourself, however.

Special Characters (your opinion can and will vary)

By no means are they required, but special characters can fill strong niches in your party composition. Most of them will start with fairly advanced jobs unlocked to give you a head start in training them up and sometimes surpass your generics.

Agrias is a bit slow, but an optimal pick. With White Magic secondary, she can become a core member of your party, able to tank hits, revive key characters, and deal damage and debuffs.

Once you get Cloud, he is a strong offensive addition to your party, along with Reis.

Rafa and Malak are solid casters. Beowulf, Orlandu, and Meliadoul are all decent. Mustadio is good too.

As long as your enemies aren't more than like fifteen or twenty levels above you, each battle is perfectly doable in Proper with the right strategies and some trial and error.

As always, thank you for your input and for playing and supporting Proper.

Best of luck,

- johnmyster

Thanks. I will be playing some more this weekend. Btw. That post was not supposed to say "insanely derpy" mod. It originally said something else... I am guessing someone changed that. I do not think your mod is "derpy" lol.

johnmyster

Quote from: NYR on October 05, 2017, 03:07:53 pm
Thanks. I will be playing some more this weekend. Btw. That post was not supposed to say "insanely derpy" mod. It originally said something else... I am guessing someone changed that. I do not think your mod is "derpy" lol.

Derp!

Nyzer

QuoteThat post was not supposed to say "insanely derpy" mod. It originally said something else... I am guessing someone changed that.

It's an auto correction on the FFH forums.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

johnmyster

Bonesy

• Discord username: Bonesy#9386

skiploom188

Hey a new FFT mod! Gonna give this a try. Just now I've been itching for some Final Fantasy.

I noticed in the first post that this has only been tested on epsxe. Did anyone try this mod on pSX v.1.13? Because if no one did then I'll check if it will run smoothly without crashes and black screens.
======================================================================
I evolved... into a stick figure. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj-yTyoVpYIdcdIPw8SP5rw
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pokemon Fantasy Tactics - A treat for FFT fans! http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=10984.msg207542

Ivory_Knight

I just beated Bethla Garrison and i have some nitpicks with the patch right now:

1) The Rafa and Malak skill sets are uninspiring and boring to be honest. They can be useful (Rafa Sky Demon with Earth Clothes can OHKO some units while Malak can stop sandbagging with Heaven Bolt Back and the 100% slow is nice) but they feel too much like wizards and in some cases like suboptimal versions of them.

2) In chapter 4 there are some decisions to increase the difficulty in story battles that end up repeating themselves too much and make this fights tedious. In particular the repeated appearance of Teleport 2. In some battles i think it improved the battle (for example the Meliadoul fight with the teleport 2 archers) but in others it just made the battle take longer (Simon with teleport 2 started moving between the edges of the stage to heal himself while on critic and with the rest of his party dead). It ends up as overused and in some cases doesn't add up much to the fights.

3) I think the AI doesn't consider the new CT on Draw Out skills, as it ends up casting it in occasions where my units con move out of the AoE.

4) A really minor nitpick. But why does Orlandu's job includes MA Save. Has anyone ever made Orlandu an MA character?

Again. These are just some minor issues in an overall good mod.

skiploom188

Ok so I tried playing this patch on pSX. The mod is both fun and challenging. It's a nice patch for those like me who haven't played FFT in awhile. 

In Chapter 2, I found this in Lionel Castle...

The ghoul there has the glitchy sprite. It didn't bother the whole game though, unless you press start while it is teleporting. Then all the bad stuff will happen after you win the battle. The GUI texts will be broken, and your formation screen will have some bad surprises waiting for you. Did this happen to others?

I'm finishing chapter 3 now and will let you know if other stuff like this happen.
I evolved... into a stick figure. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj-yTyoVpYIdcdIPw8SP5rw
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pokemon Fantasy Tactics - A treat for FFT fans! http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=10984.msg207542

Bonesy

• Discord username: Bonesy#9386

Xifanie

It just means there are too many sprites on the map. i.e. it's going to happen 100% of the time on all emulators + console until the mod creator fixes it.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

johnmyster

Quote from: Ivory_Knight on October 23, 2017, 08:18:35 am
I just beated Bethla Garrison and i have some nitpicks with the patch right now:

1) The Rafa and Malak skill sets are uninspiring and boring to be honest. They can be useful (Rafa Sky Demon with Earth Clothes can OHKO some units while Malak can stop sandbagging with Heaven Bolt Back and the 100% slow is nice) but they feel too much like wizards and in some cases like suboptimal versions of them.

2) In chapter 4 there are some decisions to increase the difficulty in story battles that end up repeating themselves too much and make this fights tedious. In particular the repeated appearance of Teleport 2. In some battles i think it improved the battle (for example the Meliadoul fight with the teleport 2 archers) but in others it just made the battle take longer (Simon with teleport 2 started moving between the edges of the stage to heal himself while on critic and with the rest of his party dead). It ends up as overused and in some cases doesn't add up much to the fights.

3) I think the AI doesn't consider the new CT on Draw Out skills, as it ends up casting it in occasions where my units con move out of the AoE.

4) A really minor nitpick. But why does Orlandu's job includes MA Save. Has anyone ever made Orlandu an MA character?

Again. These are just some minor issues in an overall good mod.

1. Interesting observation. Should I consider buffing them, or just giving them more interesting abilities?

2. I'll consider taking a look at Teleport 2 abilities and Chapter 4 in general. Do you mean Zalmo 2?

3. This is true, and is a tradeoff to giving CT abilities to Draw Out. I wonder if making Draw Out behave like a Basic Skill set would get rid of this behavior (and let me give them MP costs).

4. Many late-game special characters have the high-tier RSM abilities in their base class to reduce the need to grind them up. MA Save may not be too useful for Orlandu, but it is hard to reach. Move+3 on the other hand should be pretty useful. :P

----------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: skiploom188 on October 26, 2017, 11:03:21 pm

The ghoul there has the glitchy sprite. It didn't bother the whole game though, unless you press start while it is teleporting. Then all the bad stuff will happen after you win the battle. The GUI texts will be broken, and your formation screen will have some bad surprises waiting for you. Did this happen to others?

As Xifanie said, it looks like this is another battle where I exceeded the sprite limit. Looks like ghosty will have to go. He's there originally because the battle was too hard during testing, and he was just one of multiple nerfs to the enemies. I think he was a ninja at first. :P

As for the start button while teleporting, the after-battle effects likely have to do with the sprite limit. HOWEVER, you really don't want to use the start button while a character is moving as they can fly off of the screen and make the battle unplayable. :/ Another tradeoff sadly for being able to skip cutscenes.

------------------------------------

Thanks for your thoughts, loves, and for helping make Proper a more enjoyable experience for all. <3