• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:26:17 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

☢ ☢ ☢ FFT Arena AI Tournament Season 1 ☢ ☢ ☢ (FINISHED!)

Started by Gaignun, May 01, 2012, 03:48:46 am

DomieV

I think what Barren was trying to say Wiz is that at least you did well and if anything people would still acknowledge that you had a good run. Saying that you should have won it could have gone either way especially when you rely on the RNG in your favor you tend to take chances. You took the chance with talk skill and it paid off for you for the most part until you started to miss.

Barren could have easily lost if his monk had not hit charm but he got it and at the right moment mind you when your mediator berserk one of yours. And all it took was one mistake or one major turnaround. For what your team did it definitely thrashed a lot of teams that wasn't physically able to debilitate yours. Fantactic, Shadowstrike, Squidgy all failed due to lack of DPS against you and you berserk all of them. But the way you lost to Gaignun even he pointed out that he missed some zombies spells as well until it finally hit. Shit does happen man. I got trounced by AeroGP because my setup wasn't designed to take on his team at the time.

All in all again it was the roll of the dice

Barren

• Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

Fanatic

Happy fourth everyone!

...It can't be balance like Voldemort says. It just can't be, and it is because of the 4v4 structure and the other factors.

First up though, how do you define "balance"?
1) Balance refers to the concept that no one combination wins against all over very nearly all possible scenarios.
2) Balance refers to the concept that no one combination greatly excels over any other.

These are two very distinct concepts of balance. If I have 18 combinations that beat 50 combinations, but among those 18 each combination, each loses to 6, wins against 6, and ties 5, I have achieved the first definition of balance but not the second.

This problem is best seen in stacking. If I create a team with 4 identical units, I may be able to beat any team that does not have at least 3 units set up to counter my one build. There could be dozens of 4 identical build teams that can beat me, but yet my team might trounce the hundreds of builds that use at most only 2 identical units.

In short, what you might end up with is a game of paper rock scissors.

If you manage to achieve the second prong of balance, however, you solve the stacking problem - but now, you make the strategic choice of what units you use largely irrelevant. Things like luck will now determine matches. This might be desirable to some, but I believe most actually want a certain amount of imbalance in the game, in order to reward strategic choices.

But who knows.
Final Fantasy Tactics Football Fracas [FFTFF] Link:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/197339-final-fantasy-tactics/57703092

Dynablade

Before I even get into these matches, just a small request for the Losers Finals

Could you use this song? It sounds like that epic struggle to claw your way out of hell. A final battle against your toughest opponent yet, with the shimmer of a not so distant light behind them, taunting you to make it past that one last fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3mqIDAVObA

Now for the battle itself
Very exciting, monks hitting for 200+, Don't Acts flying around like bees and the occasional jump sends up straight to the third round. 400 damage Holy? Jesus..
Then yeah, Raise 2 missed, GG. Lots of Don't Acts helped, but that miss was the nail in the proverbial coffin. Amazing match though, intense.

Avalanche

Thanks Barreb
great series of matches, Things are getting tense now. cant wait to see who will be able to face my Team.

Fanatic

FFT Arena Netherworld Match 88 - CT5Holy vs Barren

FFT Arena Netherwold Match 89 - Avalanche vs Barren

Guess there's no point in hiding it, eh? Great matches, all around!
Final Fantasy Tactics Football Fracas [FFTFF] Link:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/197339-final-fantasy-tactics/57703092

Barren

Great Match Ct5Holy! Those arm aims missing proved to be decisive indeed. I had fun facing you.

Damn that charm killing me in round 3. But hey I had a hell of a run. GG Avalanche. good luck against Gaignun

Gaignun

Quote from: Barren on July 08, 2012, 12:41:12 am
Damn that charm killing me in round 3. But hey I had a hell of a run. GG Avalanche. good luck against Gaignun

No kidding!  6/6 Charms succeeded on your scholar during that round.

CT5Holy

Well, looks like my luck ran out, haha. Too much damage. I suppose missing Arm Aim on Scholar in R3 was pretty important, but I think DS on Ninja as well as my Ninja hitting like different units each time was more decisive. He also didn't like Kagesouging the Archer, but eh.

Yeah, it was tough, and ultimately, I'm not surprised I lost. I was lucky enough to get past fdc in the first place. Good game, Barren.
Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

Avalanche

Nice Matches!

i Guess i am your nightmare Team, with earth defenses and best compat charms. Nevertheless you did a great job in the tournament so far. That Charms in round 3! First u was doing a great job in negating them, untill my thiefes found a place between your scholar and Monks CTs - Than one earthquake from your charmed scholar sealed the Match.

Celdia

I haven't checked all the data for this but I did do a quick glance at the brackets and I feel there should be a mention of this: Barren's team took on 9 unique other teams and defeated 8 of those teams. I'm pretty sure no other team in the bracket got that much play against that many other opponents and walked with that many wins. Barren's team deserves some kind of longevity award so taking on and defeating so many other teams and I feel honored for having been knocked out of the tournament by his team as he tried to claw his way back out of hell. Three cheers for Barren!
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Barren

Quote from: Celdia on July 08, 2012, 09:49:16 am
I haven't checked all the data for this but I did do a quick glance at the brackets and I feel there should be a mention of this: Barren's team took on 9 unique other teams and defeated 8 of those teams. I'm pretty sure no other team in the bracket got that much play against that many other opponents and walked with that many wins. Barren's team deserves some kind of longevity award so taking on and defeating so many other teams and I feel honored for having been knocked out of the tournament by his team as he tried to claw his way back out of hell. Three cheers for Barren!

As a matter of a fact I have more round wins than anyone in the tournament. I was just thinking about that this morning. When this tournament is done I'll run a post tourney discussion and reveal the won/loss record of each team in terms of who won rounds 1, 2, 3. Thanks Celdia for pointing that out

Barren

formerdeathcorps

This is the best match of S6.

Too bad Paprika still has a girl's heart.  She must have gotten lonely with no one to fight for so long.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Avalanche

wow that was a great series of Matches. I agree with fdc here and im glad we will see Match 91

Barren

Final Match to determine the undisputed winner!

Thank you everyone for watching this tournament!

FFT Arena Season One A.I. Tournament Match 91 Gaignun vs Avalanche

Eternal

Very good job, Avalanche! Congrats on winning Season One! Gaignun, your team also performed admirably. There's always Season Two to go for!

Hopefully everyone enjoyed the tournament! :D
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

formerdeathcorps

Good to see Avalanche didn't even need charm to win.  Getting first strike off Don't Act and Bizen Boat was enough.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Barren

As of now we are here to open a post tournament discussion

Everyone here can give their thoughts on people's teams and how they performed. At some point I will record a list of every team's outing as far as won/loss records go. Combining all round wins (meaning who won rounds 1, 2 and 3) and loses from both the winner's bracket and the loser's bracket

Also discuss what you thought about the tournament overall and what are some of your favorite teams and matches to watch. Thanks again everyone for participating and watching this tournament.