• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:34:52 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Tutorial Link Index

Started by RavenOfRazgriz, September 17, 2012, 06:56:49 pm

RavenOfRazgriz

September 17, 2012, 06:56:49 pm Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 12:23:55 pm by Nyzer Reason: Added a link to the tutorial for Deep Dungeon light
You can find Links to most helpful Tutorials on FFH through this thread.  Just find the category you need help with and see if there's a Tutorial that can fill your needs.  If not, ask and search around, that Tutorial you need may have just escaped my grasp.

Guidelines:

Post if you notice a key Tutorial is missing from this list and link to that Tutorial so I can add it.  Post if you notice a Tutorial here is inaccurate or out of date and link to that Tutorial so I can remove it.  Otherwise, don't post in this thread.

"HELP!" Tutorials:

"Things I Wish I Knew Starting Out" by Shrikesnest

ASM Tutorials:

Let's ASM Hack with Xifanie!
Hex Editing Stuff & Basic Tutorial by Vanya
ASM Tutorial 2 by formerdeathcorps
Glain's ASM learning segment #1 by Glain
Pokey's ASM Tutorial Part #0 by Pokeytax
ASM Lessons with LastingDawn and Xifanie

Event Editing Tutorials:

ATTACK.OUT Battle Event Conditionals Tutorial by RavenOfRazgriz
Event Editing 101 by Elric
Event Command Walkthrough by Nyzer
How to reassign Event Slots by Xifanie
Event Editing directly to a savestate (pSXfin only) by Xifanie
What to do about Arazlam's speech by mucus

Graphics Editing Tutorials:

Running map2gl and Ganesha Duplicate Function by Elric
Lighting up the Deep Dungeon maps by Nyzer
FFT Spriting (detailed video tutorial) by Lijj
Step by step on how I make Portraits by Twinees
Importing Custom Formation Sprites and Portraits [Warning! Image Heavy Post!] by Celdia
Editing Effects' Palette and Graphic by Xifanie
Modifying Spell Effects [Warning! Image Heavy Post!] by Celdia
Item Icon Editing by Celdia
Converting Weapon Catagories by Ashiel
Basic Franken-Spriting Tutorial by CONMAN
Editing FRAME.BIN with BigManStan
Editing Weapon Graphics Tutorial by RetroTypes

Fixing Emulation Errors Tutorials:

FFT in pixel perfect resolution! by Lijj
no black map settings using ePSXe by Mando
How to set up and run a PSX emulator on Macintosh computers. by Pierce
Getting pSX 1.13 to work on Linux

ISO Patching Tutorials:

How to Patch an ISO with a .ppf File
How to create a proper .ppf patch for your mod by Xifanie
How to format a hack for FFT OrgASM by Pokeytax

Miscellaneous Tutorials:

Editing Bar Rumor Locations & Activating Variables by Elric
Editing Bravestory Biography Entries by Darth Futuza
Complete noob's guide to ripping sound effects while in game by Bowser Koopa

Celdia

Has my 'Importing Custom Formation Sprites and Portraits [Warning! Image Heavy Post!]' tutorial been obsoleted? If not, you might add it to the list and then delete this post.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

3lric

I... I could've sworn that it was in both this one and important links... I'll add them tomorrow along with Xif's new tutorial, if Raven doesn't see this and beat me to it by then.

* Elric nudges Raven

messiahgov

I miss tutorials about text editing. I'm talking about Non-Event text. FFTactext can do the most, but not all are recognized, even if FFTactext could technically edit them (shop, memory card, naming screen > all in WOLRD.BIN) and all text which is a bitmap. Some can be found with ShishiSpriteEditor (just those, that will displayed inside a battle), but it's by far not all (starting screen [New game, Continue etc.], the name of places directly on the worldmap, all menu text bitmaps like "Exp", "Lv", "Menu" etc. and some more I think.

Is there any guide and I just missed it? Or is there any thread where I can ask for, as an example, further FFTactext development (I would post offsets etc.) or the same for ShishiSpriteEditor?

For the missing text in FFTactext, I would translate them just with an HexEditor and a table file, but my head explode as soon as I think about DTE. It's a great thing that FFTactext just generate it and you don't have to mess with it. Without DTE a translation it not really great, because I'm limited to the length of the original English text. I'm translating it to German and FFTactext was a great help so far, but has some missing editable text.

3lric

Lvl exp br fa staus names n such ate all image files. There are around here somewhere but they are not in shishi or tactext

messiahgov

Yeah I thought that as well. Tactext is just for text editing, bitmaps with Shishi (which have text as well). I think both would need a bit more development to complement the missing stuff. Especially for translations. Problem for me would be to decompress and recompress bitmaps just by my bare hands. ^^ Even if there are informations on where to find them, I'm not such ASM geek or something.

3lric

They will most likly never be added to shishi. But if you go to our IRC channel someone might be able to help you out

Guru

You guys should add Conman's "Basic Frankein-Spriting with GraphicsGale"  http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=11236.0

I definitely found it useful

Jumza

There are a lot of thing that could be added to this list :o
I can't edit this post myself (I guess my help moderating powers do not extend to the Help subsections), but I could get someone else to for this, and any others you might find around that aren't there! :)
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

3lric

Updated with CONMANs 'Basic Franken-Spriting Tutorial' by CONMAN as well as a tutorial on how to edit FRAME.BIN by BigManStan.

Thank you both very much for your contribution to the community!

Lockeadon

you may want to add reputable video tutorials ala youtube. sometimes seeing how it works makes all the difference

3lric

Do you have any?

I'd gladly add them if they existed. However, I do not have the voice nor the confidence for creating youtube videos. Just the two that I made for eventing about 5 years ago was huge amounts of anxiety for me

3lric

dotchan

September 05, 2016, 09:32:04 pm #15 Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 11:56:00 am by dotchan
The tutorial for the opening text crawl ("My name is Alazlam" etc.) is not correct; as far as I can tell, unless you do heavy ASM editing you can simply use the default text height and width as the guideline, and it reads each line of text in order from top to bottom.

Lockeadon

that reminds me, did they ever fix the l i t t l e m o n e y type stuff?

3lric

who is "they" that's just an event. it takes 2 seconds to fix.

Mrfuzzy

Okay so followed xifanie tutorial for converting my mod into a ppf and it still doesn't work when I'm trying.to convert it 😢 it says the file size doesn't match
Itsnt there an easier way to do it ??
When I go into fft patcher and open a new patch , isn't there a way I can just automatically have it converted into a ppf?? Please help

3lric

If the file size doesnt match then you didnt do it correctly. Her video tutorial shows you exactly how to do this by adding zero bytes via a hex editor. You cannot skip a part of the tutorial and expect it to work.

There is no way to do this automatically, this is stuff you HAVE to learn if you want to mod, since this is about the simpliest of the simple stuff there is. It's only going to get more difficult from here, (unless you plan to just use FFTP to change some job stuff or something, which a 5 year old could do)