• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

FFTOrgasm patches - how to use?

Started by scorpiova, March 16, 2017, 07:03:47 pm

scorpiova

Quick Question:

Trying to patch my .iso so that I can re-name my characters at the soldier's office. I have tried multiple version of FFTorgasm - I open the program, check the boxes of the patches I want - open my iso and then save - yet nothing happens. And in game none of the patches I had selected have had any effect.

There's no indication if the patches installed, worked , or failed.

Am I missing something here?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Xifanie

PSX or WotL? You should really edit your profile to reflect which version you're modding.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Angel

It's WotL.

There are no orgASM patches for WotL. That's why it doesn't work. Abandon all hope of ASM for WotL.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Xifanie

Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

scorpiova

Thank you for the reply guys.

I have pretty much finished the building of the mod of WOTL that I am doing - most of what I wanted to achieve is done.

I have managed to:

-Added Terra as a Unique character. (Replaced Balma)
-Added Aerith (Replaced Simon's main sprite - and doubled him over with another priest type to still keep him in events) (Not fully tested)
-Added Moogle as a monster type unit
-Replaced the sprites of the majority of classes and a few of the special characters.
-Added a variety of new recruits throughout the game that can be recruited if they survive their respective battles.
-Change ability skill sets of almost every unique class and generic class to give units more flexibility and use in battle (Mystic and Orator in particular).

Currently working on, so untested:

-Replacing some monster units with human characters.
-Adding more dangerous enemies earlier in the game to create higher challenge level.
-Added random boss battles to the world, along with recruit able generics in random encounters.

So the only thing at this point that I am "missing" that I want to have in the mod - is the ability to re-name human characters (and special characters too if possible). Do either of you know how to do that or a resource to achieve that for WOTL? Or am I simply out of luck on that objective? This is why I was interested in that FFTorgasm patch to re-name at the soldier office.

Again, thanks for the reply. I am loving working on this - love the sprites on this site - amazing art work and resources.

EDIT: Oh one other thing I wanted to do was change some class names - but me and the text editor - are not getting along well. Whenever I edit a character or class name - i get a crystal crash. So that's one more thing I need to figure out.

Angel

Neither of us - nor anyone with any experience in game modding here - touch WotL at all.

I've said before, if you want to do anything truly interesting with WotL, I hope you have a degree and an awful lot of masochism and determination, because nothing will be done with that game otherwise. But I don't say it to discourage anyone, because I would freaking LOVE for someone to finally make that piece of crap worthwhile, since zero talent gravitates toward it, and every new member refuses to touch anything else. It's like watching a team of experts determine beyond a shadow of a doubt that orange juice will make you live longer, feel happier, be more productive, and cause you to stumble upon mountains of cash as soon as you step outside, but milk will kill you. And watching the entirety of the world drink nothing but milk while orange juice sales reach a death knell's low.

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame

scorpiova

March 18, 2017, 10:14:34 am #6 Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 05:02:25 pm by scorpiova
Ok then.

If I switch over to PSX - can i easily edit class names and character names with the text editor - without getting the crystal crash in game?

Also is it possible to and is there information around on how to add the dark knight and onion knight to the PSX version? I don't care about Luso or Balthier so they are not a big deal to be missing. So ultimately I am wondering, how do I add classes to the job wheel?

EDIT: OK I have totally switched over to PSX versiom - I am now up to date on where I was with the WOTL version. I guess I'm actually further ahead now - as the ASM patch for soldier re-naming worked no problem :)

So I just need to do more testing to see if the other patches took affect as well.

SO next I need to fiddle with the text editor - as I would like to change some class names - Mime to Dark Knight, Mediator to Noble, and Mystic to Red Mage. Is this possible to do?

Thanks for the help so far and for convincing me to switch to PSX.

Emmy

Adding to the job wheel currently can't be done.  You could make them special characters (get rid of one of the unused classes or useless), or you can replace a regular playable job such as Bard or Knight.  Text edits like that are easy. :) Making them functionally different is easy for classes that aren't hardcoded.  Mime currently can't have skills in its set even with the asm hack that makes it function more like a regular job.

scorpiova

Ok thanks for the info. So far I have been able to replace some of the job names. But I am getting a peculiar error - for some reason the Goblins have randomly turned black (I have not changed or altered the Goblin sprites in any way) or their names and skills.

That's too bad with the Mime, I had hoped with the ASM hack - I could turn that one into Dark Knight. So I got to re-think which class will be which.

Is there anything people have done with the Mime to make it more interesting?

Angel

Just to clarify, you can kind of add jobs to the wheel, but with the caveat that the job points and learned ability slots will be shared with another job in the wheel. You can effectively (nearly) double the size of the job wheel this way, but balancing would be really difficult since you'd be buying abilities for two jobs simultaneously.

But yeah, Mime is still a bit of a roadblock no matter what version you use, sadly.

dw6561

There are a few "interesting" bugs that come with that hack such as the weapons getting replaced mid-battle, weapons getting replaced with round shields or in rare cases feather hat + round shield, or even your mime GAINING an enemy mime's equipment. Yeah that hack needs some adjustments...

If you want the player to still have access to mimes, you COULD use the hack, but make it so that mimes can't use weapons. From my experience, all equipment except weapons/shields work perfectly fine. But some other things to note about mimes is that they don't use MP and they will get stuck charging if they mimic while charging a spell. Work arounds to this require more ASM to peel away the layers upon layers of hardcoding they have. Non-charge could be used to prevent the charging issue, but I'm going to say there's no feasible way that could be balanced in a patch at all, even if you gimp their stats down to 1 imo.

Another possible idea is to give them a bunch of status immunities and innates to prevent them from killing themselves. Like move-HP Up, immunity to statuses would prevent them from mimicking, and maybe innate protect/shell?

Anyway, if you can't really find any way to make them interesting or less gimmicky without being broken, my suggestion is to make it a dummy job so that AI units can have level 8 in everything if you so choose.
This is FF Tactics. All the Tactics you can ever have, all in one byte.

scorpiova

March 19, 2017, 12:18:15 am #11 Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 02:49:00 pm by scorpiova
Very interesting regarding thw job wheel. But I am ok fiddling with the default classes into my own - and with the special classes in the game.

I'm still stuck on this black out on the goblin issue. Could an issue with another monster sprite, cause issue for a sprite that is untouched?

EDIT: Can I give the mime a special job instead? Like Machinist or whatever? Or can you not give a generic class a special job set?

EDIT 2: Ok I figured out the black monster issue. Either the tactext editor or one of the ASM hacks set most of the monster types to a pallette that does not exist. No idea how that happened - so now I have been re-setting almost every monsters pallette in the game.

Now my next issue - the text editor hates me - last night I changed and added a ton of names (class/character) with no issue. Today I open the same save - and now it will not save again without error, and the section that is causing the error I did not alter today (and did save no problem yesterday). If it wasn't frustrating it would be funny.

EDIT 3: YAY! Figured out the text issue - I guess it was the version I was using, just switched to the newest version and all text edits seem to be good so far. So things are going great :)

I also have a name for my project now: FFT Eternity: War of the Wolves

Some of my changes:

Class names:
Oracle - Red Mage (skill set includes Black, White, and Swords Skills). Class can now equip swords and shields.
Mediator - Noble (Skill set includes MBarrier and a variety of the White Magic skills). Class can use Swords as well.
Priest - Battle Priest (Skill set includes a few sword skills along White Magic Skills). Class can wear Helms, and use Flails.
Calculator - Dark Knight (Skill set includes a variety of sword skills). Class can equip weapons and armor.
Mime - Magus (Set up as a spell caster with high MP growth) Will have to see what I can do with this.
Geomancer - Wolf Knight (Same as the Geomancer class with a few additional skills). Can now wear helms.

Monster Class names:
Panther Names: Now setup as Wolves (using the sprite on the site).
Squid Guys - Now named Lamia/Gorgon/Medusa (using the Lamia sprite on the site).
Treant - Named Dryad/Dryad Maiden/Dryad Queen (Using the Zelda sprite on the site).
Minotaur - Now named Lycan/Werewolf/Werewolf King (Using werewolf sprite).
Ghost - Now named Moogle :) (Moogleling, Moogle, and Moogle King). Because I had to hehe.

New Characters: (Using sprites I found on site)
-Terra
-Aeris
-Tifa

Random Encounters:
-Random Heroes from a variety of classes will show up in both story and random battles. These heroes will fight on your side and if they survive they will join up if approved. Each map will have at least one of these encounters.

Random Bosses: (in-progress of being added)
-Taking Bosses from the game as well as beefed up random enemies, dangerous and challenging encounters will occur in the wilds. In some of these fights uniquely named characters may try to aid you and join up if they survive.

I also added a few patches to give me a few extra formation screen sprites (Izilude and Rofel) so I may use them as random new characters and/or recruit them, soldier re-name, and mime as normal job.

It's been a lot of fun so far :)

Angel

Long day at work and in dire need of rest, so I apologize for not addressing your questions, but I really wanted to say that I'm genuinely glad you're enjoying yourself and making progress.

scorpiova

Quote from: Angel on March 20, 2017, 12:08:10 am
Long day at work and in dire need of rest, so I apologize for not addressing your questions, but I really wanted to say that I'm genuinely glad you're enjoying yourself and making progress.

Oh no worries at all. A lot of times I just need a sounding board in order to trouble shoot through issues. And a lot questions have been answered in the forums already.

It is a fun process - and the troubleshooting is one of the aspects of modding that makes it rewarding. FFT is a game that I always wanted to mod - ever since using the gameshark codes to unlock sprites back in the day.

So thoroughly enjoying it.