• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:22:58 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Emulators with debuggers

Started by pokeytax, February 09, 2013, 12:19:20 pm

pokeytax

February 09, 2013, 12:19:20 pm Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 05:20:08 pm by pokeytax
pSX seems to be crashing in the item shop ("Buy") for me on Windows 7.  This is distressing as I rely on the built-in debugger.

Has anyone else tried NO$PSX yet?  It seems to be working fine for me so far (EDIT: well until I tried to go to the Formation screen), after applying a proper BIOS, although using proper register labels (v2, r1, a0, etc.) drives me nuts.  Based on my experience using NO$GBA to hack Suikoden Card Stories for GBA, this might prove to be a superior hacking emulator in the long run.

If I somehow missed a previous emulator discussion thread by all means move this there.
  • Modding version: PSX

Glain

I just tried NO$PSX briefly... I was having some pretty bad sound/video glitches, but didn't play around with the settings too much.

I don't... even know what's going on with the default disassembly.  It's like he's trying to display it as if it's x86 assembly?  I changed it to the native MIPS disassembly and it seems he's got some nonstandard pseudos (subiu?) but the thing that really gets me is prefixing immediates with $ (it means a register in MIPS syntax... ack).

I was going to say, though... I use pSX on Windows 7 and it's always worked well for me, except in a few cases where the debugger can crash if you fiddle with breakpoints enough (I also target all hacks at pSX, since I don't have the means to test them on a real console).  Not sure what your problem is with pSX crashing, but it shouldn't be the OS.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

pokeytax

Hm... I'll try a little harder to sort out my issue then.  If NO$PSX is like NO$GBA, it will have much more versatile breakpoints than pSX and the ability to view VRAM.  But I'm not so eager to move on just yet (NO$PSX is certainly still a work in progress).
  • Modding version: PSX